Forums > Kitesurfing General

Overseas Kiting Trip!

Created by zarb > 9 months ago, 1 Apr 2013
zarb
NSW, 620 posts
1 Apr 2013 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

I'll have a sh1tload of time off from end of March 2014 until the end of June 2014 and want to plan some overseas visits.

I love NZ, but have never been there for anything but skiing and climbing. What is the coastline like for kiting? Is the wind any good that time of the year for some consistent kiting fun? I was thinking about hiring a big camper and just spending a few months bumming around.

The other option was to fly into northern Italy, follow the Mediterranean coast down across southern France and into Spain, then across to Portugal and spend a while there. With the possibility of ducking over to Morocco and getting down to Dakhla for a week or two. Wind charts for the areas look good around that time of the year.

I would prefer a more relaxing NZ trip in a camper, but my girlfriend seems to prefer the Europe / Morocco idea for all the little quaint girly things she can do like look at fountains and buying clothes... But in the end I'll just go where the surf and wind is for that time of the year...

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Apr 2013 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

There will be wind that time of year in NZ. Its frontal gusty and unpredictable weather. But there should be storms that roll in with big winds and BIG swell.

Temp is going to be between 10- 18 Deg around that time. Its not the best time of year to come to nz to be fair. Not enough snow for snow kiting a fair amount of rain and wind unpredictable.

Without trying to put you off i'd suggest the Italy france trip this year and then aim to hit nz at a different time of year. maybe Aug/oct for snow kiting or oct/Dec for spring westerlies. jan through to march for more mellow seabreases and easier temps.

PS there are plenty of places to kitesurf in nz. there is generally wind somewhere in the north island on any given day. If you are prepaired to chase the wind and drive 3-5 hrs then you should be able to kite every single day.

Westcoast beaches tend to be more hardcore and swell driven wave spots while easter coast tends to be more mild swell and more flat water spots.....

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
1 Apr 2013 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

i went around the world with my girlfriend and my kiting gear for 7 months last year. all over the caribbean, US, mexico, and Europe.

In Europe, make sure you time it right. march is way too early. I was in greek islands in may ( too early), then spain (tarifa) in june. tarifa was blowing heaps, then the wind stops and turns around and keeps blowing.
We then went up the coast to portugal and then france.

The biggest regret of my trip was taking the kiting gear all the way looking for kite spots and hitting up nice cities and towns for the girlfriend to enjoy. your better off getting one done at a time then the other.

hiring gear might be expensive, but almost every single airline will charge you more than the cost of the flight to take your gear onboard. and its a huge hassle lugging your gear around and trying to get a taxi/ taxi driver to want to take your stuff. if you do, make sure you get a good travel bag with a good wheel system.

anyway, do some research, then some more research, and some more and book it all ASAP because everything in europe books up fast!

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
1 Apr 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

The latest we could start the trip would be mid-May...still too early for France/Italy/Spain/Portugal? Morocco seems to blow regardless so that's not a problem...

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
2 Apr 2013 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

lease a brand new car in europe... so cheap

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
2 Apr 2013 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe I can convince my partner to stay in Morocco for a month. That would be the life...

Craig66
NSW, 2458 posts
2 Apr 2013 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

zarb said...
Maybe I can convince my partner to stay in Morocco for a month. That would be the life...

Yep it blows in Morocco

Maybe your woman may not enjoy living on the edge of desert for a month.

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
2 Apr 2013 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone been there before?

Are there other things to do there besides kiting? She likes kiting, but she also likes traditional markets, nice food, pretty landscapes, etc etc. Those things should keep her happy in between kiting.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
3 Apr 2013 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

interested in a good 2 week overseas trip aswell...
i have been eyeing this one off at Punta San Carlos... anyone been here?

solosports.net/

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Overseas Kiting Trip!" started by zarb