Forums > Kitesurfing General

Ozone 2016 13m Edge

Created by shortstop > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2017
shortstop
NSW, 9 posts
2 Jan 2017 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

JUST WONDERING... HAS ANYBODY HAD ISSUES WITH AN OZONE EDGE KITE...I HAVE A NEW 2016 EDGE 13M THAT KEEPS BUTTERFLYING//JELLYFISHING .... ie the ends keep folding in.... admittedly it did not come with its proper bar and line.. but I have used lots of different ozone bars and other 4 line bars which all seem to do it.as well... I have also fiddled with line lengths..including lengthening the back lines which helped a bit but has not fixed it entirely.......I was enquiring to find out whether the model has faults or it is just because I haven't set it up right....would love to hear some positive expert feedback.....cheers from Shorty...Scotts Head..

kernal
WA, 541 posts
2 Jan 2017 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

..... help my kites broken ....

because i am not using the correct bar and lines

yendor
NSW, 262 posts
2 Jan 2017 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

If your using a bar with a high y split it will fly like a pig.
if it's not pumped up hard it won't fly the best.
This is what I have experienced with my 2012 13 meter edge.
i also found mine was best on 55 cm bar with standered 25 lines.
Hope this helps.

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
2 Jan 2017 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it needs more pressure

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
2 Jan 2017 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
STELLA01 said..

Put no more than 6 psi. Oh wait, 2016 kite, probably outside its warranty period anyway.

Good luck with your kite. You'all need it.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
2 Jan 2017 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

STELLA01 said..

Put no more than 6 psi. Oh wait, 2016 kite, probably outside its warranty period anyway.

give it a rest kami

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
2 Jan 2017 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Miser said..

Kamikuza said..

STELLA01 said..

give it a rest kami

How about them Ocean Rodeo kites?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
2 Jan 2017 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Too much backline tension
Adjust at bar
Y too high
Not enough pressure
Your flying it at its very top end
Arramid bridles out of wack ( definitely check this)

Dolphins
60 posts
2 Jan 2017 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

What lenth are your lines. I use my Zephyr bar 27 metre lines. Inflate kite to 8PSI. Your outside lines should have a very slight bow in them but not slack.

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
2 Jan 2017 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

What cauncy said except the bridle bit. I havnt seen any issues here myself. Pressure/bar length/lines/Y position are crucial with kites. These kites are tested and built with one bar in mind. Doesnt mean you cant adapt a bar to suit but it will need to be close to spec. good luck mate.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
2 Jan 2017 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

STELLA01 said..

serious kami you're sounding like lolloro

pump your kite up to 9psi. edge likes to be inflated hard

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
2 Jan 2017 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah more than 6psi.

8 to 9....

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
2 Jan 2017 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

On that note dusta seeing that you seem to know everything there is to know about edges I'm going to pump my 13m V8 edge up to 9 PSI ( only pumped to 8 PSI after the you know what issue ) now that the LE stitching has been improved because I'm experiencing the same issues as shortstop. Wingtips do fold in at times especially when looping. I did correct it a bit by pulling in some trim ie reducing back line tension . Also I found it to be worse with steering lines at closest setting to trailing edge of kite. I have my steering lines / back lines at second setting away from trailing edge of kite now and it has improved it a little . Hope this helps shortstop. BTW dusta do you loop your kites ?

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
2 Jan 2017 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

Kamikuza said..

STELLA01 said..

Hey what can I say, it's my WA half of my DNA.

Your kite, your warranty to void. Pump it ALL the way up!

straddiepaul
QLD, 160 posts
2 Jan 2017 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

8.37 has nice flicky twang

balidru
WA, 76 posts
2 Jan 2017 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Every time I flick my kite I keep thinking I've got an SMS. Am I pumping it too hard?

Plummet
4862 posts
3 Jan 2017 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said...
dusta said..

Kamikuza said..

STELLA01 said..

Hey what can I say, it's my WA half of my DNA.

Your kite, your warranty to void. Pump it ALL the way up!

Kami dislikes the aus ozone distributor so does all he can to discredit ozone quite often making statements out of shear ignorance and no actual experience. Have you ever seen a 13 edge kami? Have you ever pumped one up? Ever used an ozone pump? Ever flown one?

When it comes to statements about ozone you should disregard anything mr kuza says because it's utter bull****.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
3 Jan 2017 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teabaggin said..
On that note dusta seeing that you seem to know everything there is to know about edges I'm going to pump my 13m V8 edge up to 9 PSI ( only pumped to 8 PSI after the you know what issue ) now that the LE stitching has been improved because I'm experiencing the same issues as shortstop. Wingtips do fold in at times especially when looping. I did correct it a bit by pulling in some trim ie reducing back line tension . Also I found it to be worse with steering lines at closest setting to trailing edge of kite. I have my steering lines / back lines at second setting away from trailing edge of kite now and it has improved it a little . Hope this helps shortstop. BTW dusta do you loop your kites ?

teabaggin should i assume you're an expert on rubbing your balls on another guys face , even though you don't say you are ?

NO ?
I have owned multiple edges right up to the current version and always pumped them up to 9psi . No i don't kiteloop but hey of all the edges used over the years around my area i haven't seen one go **** due to this issue so ....................................

i

i always had mine on middle setting at the kite and one knot shorter on the bar end .

Woott
WA, 127 posts
3 Jan 2017 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

wow people are a bit on edge in this topic.....

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
3 Jan 2017 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woott said..
wow people are a bit on edge in this topic.....

i'm feeling a little let down tbh

Alysum
NSW, 1030 posts
3 Jan 2017 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Am I the only one reading this thread to read Kami's expert advice ?

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Jan 2017 5:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

Plummet said..

Ever used an ozone pump?

AHHHHHHH--hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

...no please stahp!

I take it then the answer is no. You have never flown and 13m ozone edge let alone pumped one up and ozone kite using an ozone pump?.... Have you even ever seen one?

Ahhh, Man of utter ignorance.

If you had used an ozone pump supplied I the last couple of years you would know it no longer lists a scale in psi. Pump your kite into the green zone. Easy peasy japanesy. Smaller kites to the high end of the green bigger kites to the low end. I take my 13 edge to mid way into green which is about right (ps I'm still languishing on a 2013 edge).

To OP. My 2013 edge gets a bit flappy if underpumped. I'd take yours to high green on the pump and also make sure the line lengths are even on the bar. If there is still issues after than maybe there's something wrong.

Site note. If stupidly overpowered it can also get a bit flappy. Say 25-30 knots.

Alysum
NSW, 1030 posts
4 Jan 2017 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

The Ozone pump doesn't show the PSI ?! How ****ing innovative... So to pump up an Ozone kite at optimal pressure.... buy an Ozone pump !

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Jan 2017 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shortstop said..
JUST WONDERING... HAS ANYBODY HAD ISSUES WITH AN OZONE EDGE KITE...I HAVE A NEW 2016 EDGE 13M THAT KEEPS BUTTERFLYING//JELLYFISHING .... ie the ends keep folding in.... admittedly it did not come with its proper bar and line.. but I have used lots of different ozone bars and other 4 line bars which all seem to do it.as well... I have also fiddled with line lengths..including lengthening the back lines which helped a bit but has not fixed it entirely.......I was enquiring to find out whether the model has faults or it is just because I haven't set it up right....would love to hear some positive expert feedback.....cheers from Shorty...Scotts Head..

I've not heard of any issues. What make of bar and lines are you using? Do you pump it up firm?
You say you have used standard Ozone bars on this kite and it still does the folding thing, so I'm thinking that the kite is just not pumped up hard enough, they like about 8PSI.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Jan 2017 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said...
The Ozone pump doesn't show the PSI ?! How ****ing innovative... So to pump up an Ozone kite at optimal pressure.... buy an Ozone pump !

So you'd drive your car with temp gauge in the red
Pretty simple to me and I'm simple
You must been shaken as a child

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Jan 2017 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said...
Kamikuza said..

Plummet said..

Ever used an ozone pump?

AHHHHHHH--hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

...no please stahp!

I take it then the answer is no. You have never flown and 13m ozone edge let alone pumped one up and ozone kite using an ozone pump?.... Have you even ever seen one?

If you had used an ozone pump supplied I the last couple of years you would know it no longer lists a scale in psi. Pump your kite into the green zone. Easy peasy japanesy. Smaller kites to the high end of the green bigger kites to the low end. I take my 13 edge to mid way into green which is about right (ps I'm still languishing on a 2013 edge).

To OP. My 2013 edge gets a bit flappy if underpumped. I'd take yours to high green on the pump and also make sure the line lengths are even on the bar. If there is still issues after than maybe there's something wrong.

Site note. If stupidly overpowered it can also get a bit flappy. Say 25-30 knots.

That's actually an altimeter

Especially for edge riders

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Jan 2017 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

Plummet has an older pump. But I think most of the pumps on the market use the same colour code, green is the good zone? Anyway the new Ozone pump, has PSI marked on it.
I always pump all my kites to 8PSI, and have never had any issues and find the kites fly best around this pressure.

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Jan 2017 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Plummet said...

Kamikuza said..

Plummet said..

Ever used an ozone pump?

...no please stahp!

That's actually an altimeter

Especially for edge riders

Classic. I gave you a thumbs up for that one.

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Jan 2017 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ozone Kites Aus said..

Alysum said..

Plummet has an older pump. But I think most of the pumps on the market use the same colour code, green is the good zone? Anyway the new Ozone pump, has PSI marked on it.
I always pump all my kites to 8PSI, and have never had any issues and find the kites fly best around this pressure.

Side note. Low quality gauges, and i'm talking sub $100 for the gauge only, are not very accurate at low pressures (that includes all manufacturers pump gauges!). So are you actually pumping to 8psi using the pump gauge 8psi reading? probably not. BUT if you pump to the same known measurement each time using same pump then even the ****ty pump gauge will give you a repeatable setting.

I still do the ping test and don't rely on the gauge other than an approximation. If you use different pumps, don't expect the next pump gauge's 8psi be the same as the last..... ping test that bastard!

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Jan 2017 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Side note. Low quality gauges, and i'm talking sub $100 for the gauge only, are not very accurate at low pressures (that includes all manufacturers pump gauges!). So are you actually pumping to 8psi using the pump gauge 8psi reading? probably not. BUT if you pump to the same known measurement each time using same pump then even the ****ty pump gauge will give you a repeatable setting.

I still do the ping test and don't rely on the gauge other than an approximation. If you use different pumps, don't expect the next pump gauge's 8psi be the same as the last..... ping test that bastard!

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that any brand of kite pump gauge is a very accurate gauge. I do think that they are reasonably accurate though as I have used a lot of these pumps, I'd say at least 20-25 different ones now, and I always pump till I reach the end of the green/approx 8PSI and the ping/squeeze test confirmation too, confirms that they are all similar.
Your statement about low pressure accuracy is reflected by no PSI markings on the Ozone gauge until 6PSI is reached!

shortstop
NSW, 9 posts
6 Jan 2017 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everybody for your comments about fixing the ozone 2016 13m edge 's flappy problem....(both positive negative and humurous)..the high Y -split = pig makes sense ,as does the tying the rear lines not so close to the trailing edge ,comments....I already pump the kite up tighter than a new prisoner's purse ,so that's not an issue. When I de power the kite right down it helps the problem as well. But when I need it powered up it carries on like a crazy flapper..glad to hear I'm not the only one having these issues... I have plenty of other kites that dont have this problem and none of them have their original bar and lines.. so i am no stranger to fiddling with line lengths etc ,to make them fly..the reason I didn't get the bar and line that comes with the kite is because ,although it was new in the packet it was bought second hand... also thanks for the aramid bridle comment and any other positive comments that i may have missed.. cheers from Shorty..

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Ozone 2016 13m Edge" started by shortstop