Created by shortstop > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2017
Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Jan 2017 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shortstop said..
Thanks everybody for your comments about fixing the ozone 2016 13m edge 's flappy problem....(both positive negative and humurous)..the high Y -split = pig makes sense ,as does the tying the rear lines not so close to the trailing edge ,comments....I already pump the kite up tighter than a new prisoner's purse ,so that's not an issue. When I de power the kite right down it helps the problem as well. But when I need it powered up it carries on like a crazy flapper..glad to hear I'm not the only one having these issues... I have plenty of other kites that dont have this problem and none of them have their original bar and lines.. so i am no stranger to fiddling with line lengths etc ,to make them fly..the reason I didn't get the bar and line that comes with the kite is because ,although it was new in the packet it was bought second hand... also thanks for the aramid bridle comment and any other positive comments that i may have missed.. cheers from Shorty..

Hi Shorty
I sent you a PM, but have not had a reply, please call me on 0433323299 and lets see if we can work out whats going on with your kite.
Steve

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
21 Feb 2017 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Good news shortstop , it seems that Ozone do listen to the average joe blow like you and me . The new V9 edge will be out in a few weeks and guess what . YES the wingtips have been made super solid . There have been some awesome WOO heights of the Edge V9 coming through from Cape town.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Feb 2017 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

The boss has been putting in some overtime

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
22 Feb 2017 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Remember also the edge was designed as a high performance, high aspect kite. It will be sensitive to extreme line loading. Until the advent of foils and foilboards for racing it dominated the race scene. Let's hope version 9 starts to sensibly be designed for the crazy jumping free rider who wants to go huge cause as race kites their day is done. The V8 was down most definetly more solid than the 2013 (which I owned a 9, 10, 11m), and the 2014,2015 which I tried. Didn't try the 2016.

Let's hope they have gone a step further into the advanced freeride category ...which in somewhat contradictory terms, means toning the damn thing down in the V9 to allow for extreme line loading when maxed out and more stable platform overall to do more while you are up there. We aren't all pros.

Here's to waiting and hoping...for a number of years now.

Gilly3
QLD, 799 posts
22 Feb 2017 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

I think u have hit the nail on the head eppo...

My 11m does what shortstop is talking about, but only under extreme load....i have always just brushed it off as, "oh well it's just a piece of cloth in the sky trying to drag my huge a$$ around, can't expect too much from it"
It generally happens when ur bogged down in the water due to lull, then a gust comes through.....extreeeme load!

Was lucky enough to get to chat with both Steve and Matt on the last Ozone demo tour. Both hinted that the new edge will be aimed at the freeeride market with the same beefed up struts as Reo etc.

Hope there is not too much of a trade off....just love the bottom end grunt, hang time, booOoost, light bar pressure, bar....

Actually, everything about it

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
22 Feb 2017 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ah great insight gilly. Ta. If my lower Abs ever heal I will demo the V9 from Westoz when available

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Feb 2017 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

I had a chat with Shorty a while back, he definitely was using some old bars and lines with that Edge and prob not pumping hard enough, hopefully he is all sorted now. I'm seen big guys cause the kite to wiggle the tips a bit, in gusty conditions, but in normal use the kite is fine. I was with a guy tonight, 98 kgs, 11M edge V8, me on a 8M reo, similar sized boards proportionally. He only just had a little bit more upwind than me.
But he was able to get the kite to do the tip thing a couple of times, the wind was extremely gusty, and he purchased the kite anyway!

The new Edge V9 has a different canopy shape, looks to be a bit less high AR, but is still very fast and turns tight/fast/powerful which is why it actually boosts even better than the current V8. Saw several people riding it when I went to Vietnam in November, could not get a go on it (and it was a tad too windy for us hobbits too), everyone that flew it was grinning from ear to ear and it clearly out jumped any other Ozone kite at the dealer meet at Mui Ne.
Small sizes are coming out first 5-10M and the larger sizes a few weeks later, at most. Should be in shops within 5-6 weeks from now. Demos will be available through all the larger dealers. I'll be keeping a 10M with me in Lennox to share around as needed too!

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
23 Feb 2017 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

yep

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
23 Feb 2017 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

.be
Sebastien Cattelan at Cape town

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
7 Mar 2017 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Wingtips have been squared off a bit on the V9 , I reckon that should fix the wingtips flapping issue .

BTW Steve I have also been in contact with Shortstop and he was concerned that all you wanted to do was sell him a new bar and lines rather than addressing issues with the V8 , so there's the other side of it . Goodwinds .

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
8 Mar 2017 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Now that the Doonas are kickass race kites..
Makes sense the Edge transforms into a jump and turn kite...

KiteHume
NSW, 51 posts
3 Apr 2017 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

New edge v9 info
ozonekites.com/products/water-kites/edge-v9/

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Ozone 2016 13m Edge" started by shortstop