Forums > Kitesurfing General

Palm blisters from cheap foam

Created by Kazan > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2014
Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I just started gripping my bar a lot lately and have had to start wearing cycling gloves to continue kiting. Anyone experience this and how you went about it? The bar in question is an old Naish 4 line control bar. I've had to be more conscious and grab the bar by the fingers more instead, but this is not always possible. I was thinking maybe replacing the foam with something that has more cushion and support? Sounds pussy like, but I need something other wise I'll end up with Lego Hands!

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
23 Feb 2014 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Your right, it does sound very pussy like.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
23 Feb 2014 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Using lube will stop the blisters.

jkiter
QLD, 139 posts
24 Feb 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Put some salt in on the blisters it will dry them out and harden your hands.
And just kite more! Once your hands harden it will stop happening.
Gloves won't fix the problem and just make you look like a goose.
But hey it might match your reel board leash!

WillyO
QLD, 263 posts
24 Feb 2014 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Harden up tiger

Blisters are good. Callouses will form and you wont need to worry about blisters again

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
24 Feb 2014 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

... metho,,, old chippie mate swore by it, give the hands a quick rinse in metho, dries the sh!t out of them and hardens them up!

Robbie

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
24 Feb 2014 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

I am getting this too, but more around my arse from doing poo-stances for too long!

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
24 Feb 2014 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

wrong time of year to be adopting that stance, you know with the mardi grahh in town and all................ not that there is anything wrong with that

ohhhhhhhh eye c

billykiter
WA, 303 posts
24 Feb 2014 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I used to have the same problem with blisters but i soon worked out to wash off the sand first. This also applies to the kite bar.

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
24 Feb 2014 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billykiter said...
I used to have the same problem with blisters but i soon worked out to wash off the sand first. This also applies to the kite bar.

what about your Ginnie?

Plummet
4862 posts
24 Feb 2014 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said...
[br]Yeah I just started gripping my bar a lot lately and have had to start wearing cycling gloves to continue . Sounds pussy like, but I need something other wise I'll end up with Lego Hands!

Oh dear I cant help myself.
DR Plummet prescribes more use of pussy and that will yeild less vigorous gripping of your bar.

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
24 Feb 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

They say cats urine also helps, preferably a male cat!

cracknback
NSW, 56 posts
25 Feb 2014 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Go to bunnings, note that they dont have a hand care section, go to the cement section, buy a little bag of concrete and harden the f*** up

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
25 Feb 2014 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

cracknback said..

Go to bunnings, note that they dont have a hand care section, go to the cement section, buy a little bag of concrete and harden the f*** up

Bunch of kite Neanderthals!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
25 Feb 2014 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Buy some HTFU Foam form Clark rubbber, it works wonders....

makntracks
NT, 132 posts
10 Oct 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Here are a few options. 3rd one comes with wrist guards to stop wind burn and a bali money holder..

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
10 Oct 2014 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Silicon cream. If you put that on your hands before you go in the water your hands wont absorb the water and get soft... it's what some girls use.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
11 Oct 2014 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said..
Yeah I just started gripping my bar a lot lately and have had to start wearing cycling gloves to continue kiting. Anyone experience this and how you went about it? The bar in question is an old Naish 4 line control bar. I've had to be more conscious and grab the bar by the fingers more instead, but this is not always possible. I was thinking maybe replacing the foam with something that has more cushion and support? Sounds pussy like, but I need something other wise I'll end up with Lego Hands!

Dude - go to the Clark rubber shop, buy 3mm Eva non slip grip, you have a choice of colours - black or black .... buy some glue and glue remover for your bar.

Plenty of 'How to' clips on windsurfing boom re-grips.

Initially it will be a little slippery until the coating wears off after a few uses - then the softest most comfortable grip ever, great for long sessions.

As long as you have coloured leader lines - Im sure you wont get confused

kemp90
QLD, 1694 posts
11 Oct 2014 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

faaaaark, im not sure what freaks me out more, this or a zombie apocalypse!!!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
11 Oct 2014 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Www. Flexifoil. Com / hadlow bar made from a branch and tree bark, not really but feels like it blisters guaranteed or your money back

kitebored
NSW, 561 posts
11 Oct 2014 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Kazan said..

Grab some sailing gloves, you local chandlery will have a few options or punt on the size online.

They come in full or half finger lengths.I used some of these when I had a cut stitched in my hand: www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/range.asp?RnID=258

Kite bars have come a long way, a new setup might offer better safety and solve your issue?

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
11 Oct 2014 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously, don't grip the bar so hard, relax. Spend more time using one hand rather than both. Fingertips rather than whole hand. Some kites have serious bar pressure and require a strong grip which will eventually effect your elbows as well. Some kites have variable stearing line settings. If yours does, experiment with attachment points to lighten up the bar pressure.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
11 Oct 2014 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

A tight grip is uncomfortable
and will not only give you sore hands from friction but
also a purple head.
Loosen the grip, let the blood flow
It is possible to push past the pain barrier and achieve pleasure,
but you still feel sore after.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
13 Oct 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KIT33R said..
Seriously, don't grip the bar so hard, relax. Spend more time using one hand rather than both. Fingertips rather than whole hand. Some kites have serious bar pressure and require a strong grip which will eventually effect your elbows as well. Some kites have variable stearing line settings. If yours does, experiment with attachment points to lighten up the bar pressure.

I think I should delete this post. Some junior members of Seabreeze are getting the wrong idea.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Palm blisters from cheap foam" started by Kazan