Forums > Kitesurfing General

Perth down winder this arvo?

Created by Dave Whettingsteel > 9 months ago, 18 Nov 2013
Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
18 Nov 2013 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Forecast is for a 20-25 knot SSE, in Gero this would nearly always become a solid southerly. Just wondering what people's experience is with this wind direction in Perth? Does it normally straighten up or stay a bit offshore and gusty. Obviously ill check it out before hitting the water, but am thinking of booking in with the down wind taxi.

Appreciate your experiences.

Dave

danw
WA, 163 posts
18 Nov 2013 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Last week it was predicting a SE all day (I think this Friday) and it stayed a weak SE after the morning (rotto was the only place showing a SW). Hopefully history won't repeat itself, we'll find out in a few hours.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
18 Nov 2013 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm, doesn't sound too optimistic! Fingers crossed.

werty
WA, 119 posts
18 Nov 2013 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Does work at certain selected spots, not sure about metro city. had awesome sesh on south easterly other week but wind must be strong.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
19 Nov 2013 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Well that sucked, it stayed SE in metro, but swung into a nice 20k southerly in Gero. And today it's a dropping E in Perth and Gero has 25 southerly already.

It really is an amazing difference, given its only 400ks apart. I need to live AND WORK in Gero!

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
19 Nov 2013 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

lots to learn - I take my bearings for perth wind between garden island - the airport and ocean reef... 400ks you say

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
19 Nov 2013 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
lots to learn - I take my bearings for perth wind between garden island - the airport and ocean reef... 400ks you say

Lots to learn? Yup, I need to learn to stay in Gero more for sure!

Ive found the Ocean Reef meter to give a pretty close correlation with the coast, certainly Scarbs area anyway.

WA, 1255 posts
19 Nov 2013 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Dave - try this page to help determine whether to load the car prior to work or not when its looking a bit sketchy.

I find it generally pretty accurate for determining whether the breeze will make it to the local or not. On those marginal days it can often forecast Rotto as SW and Perth metro offshore

www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml?unit=p0&location=wa-per&tz=AEDT

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
19 Nov 2013 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

That's a really useful graph. When you look at the wa southern waters version which includes the Midwest it looks as though the Midwest gets more wind because the coast line is more westerly. If you go out west from Perth to the same longitude it has the same wind. Interesting and thanks!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Perth down winder this arvo?" started by Dave Whettingsteel