Forums > Kitesurfing General

Please Help Me!!!

Created by NewToThisSport7 > 9 months ago, 4 Jan 2015
NewToThisSport7
VIC, 6 posts
4 Jan 2015 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I am new to kitesurfing and looking for the best beginner equipment to suit my build. I am 14 year old boy I am approximately 162cm tall and weigh about 45kg. I would be kitesurfing on a large lake with winds between 10-50 knots. After taking lessons and watching an excessive amount of YouTube videos I have developed a strong interest in this sport and I am now looking to purchase my own kitesurfing equipment! I would strongly appreciate if you could make some recommendations for a kite & etc. to suit me and my area.

Cheers!

LittleFella
WA, 132 posts
4 Jan 2015 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Nice wind range.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
4 Jan 2015 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

10 and 50 knots is a big wind range, are you able to narrow it down? What's the average wind you get?

NewToThisSport7
VIC, 6 posts
4 Jan 2015 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brohan said..
10 and 50 knots is a big wind range, are you able to narrow it down? What's the average wind you get?

I'm not quite sure but I would say I would probably kitesurf in wind between 20-30 knots usualy.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
4 Jan 2015 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Newbies-Tips-Tricks/

stormgod
QLD, 137 posts
4 Jan 2015 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Try Kurtis on the gold Coast. he is awesome and will have all the answers you need. Very confident and competent instructor. .

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
4 Jan 2015 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Good on you for developing an interest in kitesurfing in your teens, I reckon you will have a load of fun and meet heaps of interesting people. Be aware that the forums don't always produce the most positive of responses... Let the beach determine how much you enjoy the sport.

suggest you find out your local kite shops and go and talk to them. The ones that give you the time will be Invaluable and your beSt guide. Far better than the Internet. Also talk to people at your local beach. Everyone is keen to help a young person getting into the sport.

For what it is worth, I suggest a 6 or 7m kite as you are quite light, but please go and have a chat with other kiters in your area. They will
be your best guide.

all the best and keep us updated as to how you go

cheers

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
4 Jan 2015 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

If you tell us the lake your kiting we will be able to help you out better.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
5 Jan 2015 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ yes please do tell... With averages of 20-30knots I can't wait to pack the whole family up and head your way.
On a more serious note as Dave suggested a 6m -8m will see you right. Because the winds are more likely to average 10-20knots.

Craig66
NSW, 2460 posts
5 Jan 2015 12:52AM
Thumbs Up

Are 14 yo boys allowed to watch youtube ????

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
5 Jan 2015 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
My 5 yr old nephew watches YouTube - only on weekends
<div>What Dave said and you might want to talk to your folks as start up costs can be high 1k plus

NewToThisSport7
VIC, 6 posts
5 Jan 2015 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..
Good on you for developing an interest in kitesurfing in your teens, I reckon you will have a load of fun and meet heaps of interesting people. Be aware that the forums don't always produce the most positive of responses... Let the beach determine how much you enjoy the sport.

suggest you find out your local kite shops and go and talk to them. The ones that give you the time will be Invaluable and your beSt guide. Far better than the Internet. Also talk to people at your local beach. Everyone is keen to help a young person getting into the sport.

For what it is worth, I suggest a 6 or 7m kite as you are quite light, but please go and have a chat with other kiters in your area. They will
be your best guide.

all the best and keep us updated as to how you go

cheers

Thanks heaps dave for your support and sugestions i will be sure to go and have a chat with local stores and fellow kitesurfers!

NewToThisSport7
VIC, 6 posts
5 Jan 2015 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
THE DONG said..

Im not sure how accurate the windspeed i previously stated is however, i will hopefully be kitesurfing on the hazelwood pondage in vic.

NewToThisSport7
VIC, 6 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rails said..
<div>What Dave said and you might want to talk to your folks as start up costs can be high 1k plus

Thanks rails, my parents are aware of the high costs of kitesurfing and i do have a job and have saved up enough of my own money to purchase good quality gear.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NewToThisSport7 said...
THE DONG said..

Im not sure how accurate the windspeed i previously stated is however, i will hopefully be kitesurfing on the hazelwood pondage in vic.

At least you won't need a wetsuit at hazelwood

NewToThisSport7
VIC, 6 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harry potter said..

NewToThisSport7 said...

THE DONG said..

At least you won't need a wetsuit at hazelwood

haha yeah, the water temperature is high enough. do you have any ideas on other good spots around the gippsland area for kitesurfing?

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
5 Jan 2015 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NewToThisSport7 said..
Hi,
I am new to kitesurfing and looking for the best beginner equipment to suit my build. I am 14 year old boy I am approximately 162cm tall and weigh about 45kg. I would be kitesurfing on a large lake with winds between 10-50 knots. After taking lessons and watching an excessive amount of YouTube videos I have developed a strong interest in this sport and I am now looking to purchase my own kitesurfing equipment! I would strongly appreciate if you could make some recommendations for a kite & etc. to suit me and my area.

Cheers!

Just to gently state the obvious, you shouldn't consider going out in over 30kts until you have at least a year of solid experience.
You're very unlikely to go out in over 40kts in your life - most people on here haven't ever.

This is what 40+ looks like

csjena
VIC, 249 posts
5 Jan 2015 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just go down to Inverloch or Sandy point. Both very good spots!

cs

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know the hazel wood lake mate but be careful with inland lakes as they can be extremely gusty and not suitable for beginners.and yeah be looking at a 9m probably but your instructor will most likely give you solid advice in the kite size for you

CowboyWA
WA, 55 posts
5 Jan 2015 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

At 45kgs I would use a different kite at 10knots than 50knots. From experience there is some difference in the two conditions..

Watto5
WA, 87 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

You said you had taken lessons.
That being the case, and presuming your instructor is accredited, you should take their advice. They will know your ability level, where you're going to kite and the type and size of gear that will work for you. They often can do good deals on gear as well.

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
6 Jan 2015 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NewToThisSport7 said..

Rails said..

Thanks rails, my parents are aware of the high costs of kitesurfing and i do have a job and have saved up enough of my own money to purchase good quality gear.

Good on ya then world's best free time activity hands down

Just2807
180 posts
11 Jan 2015 2:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LittleFella said..
Nice wind range.

I hope they ban u. 1 less asshole is better than 0 less assholes. Deactivate your acc pls and buy condoms, world doesn't need your offspring.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Please Help Me!!!" started by NewToThisSport7