Forums > Kitesurfing General

Port Melbourne

Created by omega > 9 months ago, 4 Feb 2009
omega
VIC, 100 posts
4 Feb 2009 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys

Driving back from work last night and i saw about 8 kites out at Port Melbourne, i think the specific spot was Westport Reserve.

I only work about 5 mins from this spot and would love to be able to get out at lunch some days for a quick kite, i had just never seen anyone kite there.

So i was wondering, what is the place like? Launch and landing, any sort or rules i should know about, and any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
4 Feb 2009 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Most probably Sandridge Beach ( runs between Port Melb ( Station Pier ) and Williamstown Road near the SLSC headquarters with a lot of rock groynes. Quite a few kites out there last night.

The Williamstown rd end has a shallow beach and you can stand for about 50m out....the other end is a deeper water proposition.

Please NOte : Wind MUST have a bit of Easterly in it for this spot to work... a Southerly is rideable but you will find it very frustrating as it will have many holes in it...South West = dont bother waaaay too up and down ( Caused by the wind coming over the land at Williamstown )

IMO this spot is not suitable for beginners for the following reasons......

ROCK GROYNES ( one about every 150m )
DEEP WATER STARTS
GUSTY WINDS ( very unpredictable as they can swirl around in this narrow area )
NARROW LAUNCH & LANDING AREAS

and the big one .......

SLSC HEADQUARTERS ( the victorian Surf Life Saving Headquarters are located as is a Clubhouse on the Williamstown Rd end ....almost every day they are training in Surf Boats, Paddle Ski's , swimming and running ... so far they are putting up with the kiters using the beach because everyone stays well out of their way and all riders are experienced and more importantly POLITE........they ( the clubbies ) will not put up with people dropping kites around them or body dragging back and forth...or generally getting in the way.......at the moment we have a good relationship with these guys ...... but please THIS IS NOT A NOOBIE spot we dont want to lose access.

ALTONA is a far better option for beginners in a South Easterly.

OMEGA - If you are going to duck down at lunchtime you shouldnt have any issues with the SLSC as the beach is usually deserted at this time.... If you are going it alone i would suggest pumping up launching and landing between the SLSC Headquarters and the Clubhouse ( grey brick building ) this beach has a decent area to self launch although not great.

Lastly - beware of the speedo clad fellas that emerge from the bushes at the far end of the beach.....

Gorgo
VIC, 4988 posts
4 Feb 2009 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

... and don't forget, ****en big ships.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Port Melbourne" started by omega