Forums > Kitesurfing General

Probable El Ni?o & Positive IOD-What does it mean?

Created by Green Cherub > 9 months ago, 19 Jun 2014
Green Cherub
WA, 296 posts
19 Jun 2014 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Been having a look through a few sites but not sure how an El Niño and an positive Indian Ocean Dipole correlates to our summer sea breezes (WA). For the weather gurus and old timers , can anyone tell me what we're likely to be in for if the two forecasts do eventuate?

I read that the two are linked (ie El Niño and +ve IOD are closely correlated)..so do hotter and drier years tend to have more seabreezest? Can we expect an earlier start or a late finish?

Some BOM links i found interesting;

www.google.com.au/search?q=2014%2F2015+la+nino+IOD+&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=xz-iU6CAAsyW_AbS7oHoBQ&gws_rd=ssl

Cheers!

alverstone
WA, 532 posts
19 Jun 2014 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

I read the stories too, and left understanding the current threat of an El Nino is 70%, after indications rose recently.
But we won't get a true idea until early spring - which is kinda usless if you are a farmer thinking about how much to seed, I'd guess.
So chill and go ride winter storms and fronts while we've got 'em ...

JayP
QLD, 249 posts
19 Jun 2014 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

in the coral sea - PNG, new cal and FNQ we can expect stronger trade winds and a late start to the summer monsoon (longer dry/windy season)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Probable El Ni?o & Positive IOD-What does it mean?" started by Green Cherub