Forums > Kitesurfing General

Reef Rash

Created by cRAZY Canuk > 9 months ago, 26 Mar 2008
cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
26 Mar 2008 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Last week I had the distinct displeasure of learning a good way of cleaning cuts acquired while washed up on a reef and subsequently having to walk off it. Please note that this won't fix your girlfriends brand new 12m kite (which you trashed on the reef) that she's only used once and I'm not sure if it's medically recommended either.

You'll need limes or lemons (that you where going to use in the Rum and Coke), large bottle of Betadine, something to soak your feet or other body parts in, Neosporin and 1L of your favorite alcohol that you picked up in duty free, mix isn't required (a cup of HTFU will have to do if your in a area with no grog)

- Check for any coral or urchin spines and remove and clean out cuts
- Squeeze lime/Lemon Juice on all the cuts and rub in, the citric acid kills the bacteria and coral that get into the cuts. It was recommended the cuts are covered in the lime/lemon juice for an hour and you need to reapply as it dries (this is the part where the alcohol comes in handy as it's not pleasant)
- Soak affected areas in Betadine and warm water
- Shower
- Smother cuts and abrasions in Neosporin
-Over the next couple days stay out of the water and wipe down with betadine and re-smother with Neosporin multiple times during the day.

I stayed out of the water for 3 days (thankfully the wind died for those days) and everything but the deep cuts on the bottom of my feet had pretty much healed with no infections. One thing that I found that wasn't recommended is for the deep cuts on the bottom of my feet, once they started to heal I put "second skin" on them there basically a padded patch that promote healing worked a treat.

Any one else have some tried and trusted reef rash remedies

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
26 Mar 2008 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Get tobes to fix you up when you come in. works a treat.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
26 Mar 2008 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Ouch! Careful with the betadine on reef cuts. (I prefer mercurochrome)It contains iodine which alot of people believe is the worst thing you can put on any type of live coral cut. (it's ok on dead coral) I'm no expert; but coral needs iodine to survive. It is added to aqauriums.
-remove any coral pollops, sea urchins as soon as possible
-squeeze lemon or lime juice and scrub with clean tooth brush for as long as you can stand it (not easy) ((alternative soap and water))
-flush with antiseptic ((alternative vinegar or high % vodka))
-get your least squirmish mate to stitch it if need be
-apply mercurochrome topically
- keep clean and dry and sunbake the wound for as long as possible (impossible if there are good waves and wind)
-alcohol helps with all these steps

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
26 Mar 2008 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Amputate foot?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Reef Rash" started by cRAZY Canuk