Forums > Kitesurfing General

Reminder to check your spreader bar

Created by Surfer62 > 9 months ago, 29 Oct 2013
Surfer62
1357 posts
29 Oct 2013 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Kiting for 3 hours today, had the 9 fully powered up, lots of boosting then heard a "click"' see below, friendly reminder to check those welds !

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
29 Oct 2013 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Happens quite a bit

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
29 Oct 2013 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine ?

austin
671 posts
29 Oct 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Done 3 like this, it is a real shame but your shop should swap it straight away for a new one.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
29 Oct 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

even checking these doesnt help a couple of years back i had a couple go even when they looked sweet, great harness,s though shame obout the bar

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
29 Oct 2013 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teabaggin said..

Dakine ?

who else, still manage to do one once a season

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
29 Oct 2013 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, same thing with mine last year. Same brand. KitePower was awesome. No questions asked -- instant replacement. Thanks Steve!

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
30 Oct 2013 2:28AM
Thumbs Up

One broken completely, one snapped on one side, one with cracks in the weld and now one with a bent (more open) hook.

Hence my thread asking about DIY spreader bars

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 Oct 2013 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

just checked mine again, and looks like another hairline crack, ive only done approx 15 sessions on it, i ve just fitted the dyna bar to the harness easy as took 2 mins max, i wouldnt bother with a replacement as they are s***e, trust these bars like youd trust rolf harris baby sitting your kids

Surfer62
1357 posts
31 Oct 2013 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

just checked mine again, and looks like another hairline crack, ive only done approx 15 sessions on it, i ve just fitted the dyna bar to the harness easy as took 2 mins max, i wouldnt bother with a replacement as they are s***e, trust these bars like youd trust rolf harris baby sitting your kids

Yep, ive got a dynabar V6 sitting here ready to go, time to have a crack at it, interesting to see what they are like boosting ? Or i might just revert to spare harness depending on SB or TT use. I want to be locked in tight when I flick the switch on my new edge !

KP Geelong replaced the dakine spreader last time it broke without hesitation but KP no longer operate down here.

At least it broke before my next kite trip in a couple of weeks !

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
31 Oct 2013 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

... I've done heaps too, snapped hook on one or the other side and once both in one go. Then I've snapped the bar itself, but mostly they kink and fold in half giving me just enough to limp home! It seems its not any particular brand that fail for me either!

cheers,

Robbie

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
31 Oct 2013 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Which is why I go with Mystic harnesses. They are the best!

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
31 Oct 2013 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surfer62 said..

Yep, ive got a dynabar V6 sitting here ready to go, time to have a crack at it, interesting to see what they are like boosting ? spare harness depending I want to be locked in tight when I flick the switch on my new edge !

LOL
I thought boosting was when you go high

KiterBen
SA, 161 posts
31 Oct 2013 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for this post. I have never checked mine.

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
31 Oct 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

looks like metal fatigue by the rust areas - crack is a good sign to know/ check.

Surfer62
1357 posts
31 Oct 2013 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said..

Surfer62 said..

Yep, ive got a dynabar V6 sitting here ready to go, time to have a crack at it, interesting to see what they are like boosting ? spare harness depending I want to be locked in tight when I flick the switch on my new edge !

LOL
I thought boosting was when you go high

Can I hav your avatar again ? Yep ? Thanks

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
31 Oct 2013 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine bars - very common and not a spreader bar I would trust :-(

jkiter
QLD, 139 posts
1 Nov 2013 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, broke mine clean off last month....

KPSS Used
NSW, 387 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Nov 2013 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Highly recommend switching your Dakine Spreader Bar to the NP one. Fits super easy.

www.kitepower.com.au/collections/kitesurfing/Harnesses

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
1 Nov 2013 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

KPSS Used said..

Highly recommend switching your Dakine Spreader Bar to the NP one. Fits super easy.

www.kitepower.com.au/collections/kitesurfing/Harnesses

They do look good. Shame they don't have the right strap holes...

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
8 Dec 2013 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Best thing is now for about $10 you can convert this into a sliding spreader bar and see if you like it???

ritz
20 posts
9 Dec 2013 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

I dont tbink that'll work too well belldiver, the knots will pull tight and slip through the spreader bar loop and if they don't the pressure exerted on the bar by the kite pull on either end of the bar will make the bar kink in the middle? What quick release safty system do you use as the sliding shackle in your pic is the wrong angle / position?

ritz
20 posts
9 Dec 2013 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

I'd be interested to know what weight are the guy's who've had this type of bar failure? Ive allways had Dakine and not had any issue but am heavier now and not been on the water for a year, with an action filled xmas holiday planned I'm a bit concerned!

Glug
WA, 106 posts
9 Dec 2013 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

I have that set up above my hook. I go hooked on the twin tip and sliding spreader when surfing. Works great having the option!

Surfer62
1357 posts
9 Dec 2013 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ritz said..

I'd be interested to know what weight are the guy's who've had this type of bar failure? Ive allways had Dakine and not had any issue but am heavier now and not been on the water for a year, with an action filled xmas holiday planned I'm a bit concerned!

I'm a svelte 82-85 kg depending on beers consumed night before I've had two dakines break at the same spot (weld) same side (left) in 6 years, using dakine nitrous harnesses.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
9 Dec 2013 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ritz said..

I dont tbink that'll work too well belldiver, the knots will pull tight and slip through the spreader bar loop and if they don't the pressure exerted on the bar by the kite pull on either end of the bar will make the bar kink in the middle? What quick release safty system do you use as the sliding shackle in your pic is the wrong angle / position?

Just to answer your question ritz, no the knots don't slip through the bar loops & there is no kinking of the bar, you normally attach you CL to the shackle or you can attach CL straight to the rope (as I do).

So as long as your CL will activate I see little to no compromise on safety.

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
9 Dec 2013 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still yet to use it, hopefully tomorrow. Down the godly but have to go to sea world with the kids first haha.

For info I intend to hook the CL into the caribiner. I've already checked it will release.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
9 Dec 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ritz said..

85kg

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
10 Dec 2013 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
belldiver said..

Best thing is now for about $10 you can convert this into a sliding spreader bar and see if you like it???

Gawd damn belldiver.
This is a carbon copy of an idea I put together just today as I headed down to Woodies in the traffic.
Makes a heap of sense to me.
Nice work.

Looking again its not really a carbon copy just near facsimile. Still incredibly coincidental.
Is that still a full spreader bar lurking in the pad?

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
15 Feb 2014 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Seeing this all the time now. Guy from Germany kiting at Coronation last week had his Dakine spreader bar break off about 1km out (conicidentally, on the same day two 5m sharks were sighted at Geraldton Port, 15km away...)

Dakine -- don't you think it's about time for a product recall?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/gascoyne/a/21444297/authorities-rule-out-extension-of-shark-cull-to-geraldton/

tightlines
WA, 3480 posts
15 Feb 2014 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Yep 90kg and snapped a Dakine within a year. Have used Flying Objects for about 5 years since and never had a problem.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Reminder to check your spreader bar" started by Surfer62