Forums > Kitesurfing General

Review : Hua Hin, Thailand

Created by lpak > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2013
lpak
VIC, 4 posts
14 Nov 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

I'll break this review into two parts - Kitesurfing in Hua Hin and then the KBA shop(s);

* Kitesurfing in Hua Hin

Don't believe what you read or they tell you, Kitesurfing is not "world class all year around" here. The bathymetry of the beach is not conducive to flat water, so it gets waves. But given the Gulf of Thailand is not exactly a generation zone for long period waves unless perhaps a Typhoon comes along, it isn't a surf destination either.

[May - Jan] During the monsoon & cool season winds are driven by the large scale monsoonal pressure gradients so yes, you will get wind all day (10-20knts) blowing cross to onshore BUT you'll also get plenty of crappy, choppy, near shore generated waves from said winds. Plus all that onshore wind brings debris and brown murk from across the Gulf. I wouldn't travel around the world for this!!

[Feb - May] The Hot season is clearly where Hua Hin gets its kite reputation, the large scale winds back off and you wait for Seabreeze/Thermal winds to fuel the show. The water is meant to be crystal clear, no to little waves and kite paradise is found. This would be the only time of year to visit! At least that's what the locals kept telling me.

* KBA KiteSchool

Wow, what a crappy show they put on. I just needed to rent some equipment - knowing I ride a 12m kite in 20-25knt of winds with a 144 board (100+kg) and given the winds were about 12knts I spoke with a manager who said no worries, we have 14m+ kites and big boards, come on down. So I went there, haggled with the price (its expensive!!!) and struck a deal.

1.5 hours to fit me out! The staff completely disorganised and in the end all they had was a 138cm old board with a 13m kite. No power end up down wind. Come back up the beach, owner gives me his 144 board, no power. Try 15m kite, but no power as wind has dropped, the only guy out a 60kg Thai kid on a 12m kite. Day over, 2.5 hours in the water, not one turn.

Go back to the shop and the guy then tries to renege on the deal and ask me for 2500baht! ($85US if your following). I explain to him I'm not happy and that we spent 2 hours buggering around with the wrong equipment. He said "why didn't you speak up more, come back tomorrow". I explain that I'm on holiday and Australian, which means I'm not going to cry and moan when you stuff me around, I just go with the flow. He agrees his team stuffed up and offers a discount (1000baht) but in the same sentence reneges on that and asks for more. I just pay my $ and never go back and nor should you!

p.s. Did i mention KBA will set up your equipment? Great except twice i launched with twisted lines. Absolute Jokers....

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
14 Nov 2013 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Go see Airstylers Col in Pak Nam Pran (20 mins south)... far better beach and great bloke

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
14 Nov 2013 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

I have a different experience with KBA edit:realised it was not the same KBA, assuming that is the shop right next to friendship beach.. I was in Thailand 2 years ago and they were absolutely tops. I didn't haggle with the prices like you, although I thought they were a bit high also. We were kiting Hua Hin Rawai also. The spot was cool, lots of boats to dodge, and the wind was barely hitting 12kn.

They unloaded the gear from their truck, pumped my kite up for me, handed me the board and I was good to go - no waiting around

I was on a 14 and was struggling to keep upwind the whole time. After some frustration, about 30 minutes, I called it quits. We agreed on two hours worth of gear rental and at this point I hadn't even paid yet, but I dropped the gear off with the rest of the fellas and scootered back to base, when I let them know I only got half an hours out on the water, which in turn they only charged me for the 30 minutes.

The bloke (british fellow, he might not be the same guy) was real nice and we had a chat and then I was on my way.

Buzz
NSW, 319 posts
14 Nov 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Friendship Beach is in Phuket isn't it ?

lpak
VIC, 4 posts
14 Nov 2013 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I should clarify, KBA is an umbrella company for a bunch of franchises across Asia. My experience was specific to 2 shops in Hua Hin. Although isn't it concerning that u have the same experience? Getting inappropriate gear for the winds and your size? IMHO that speaks volumes about the experience and professionalism of multiple franchises and thus the KBA brand in general.

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
14 Nov 2013 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Oops, Realised it was a different KBA! My bad. Can't speak for the KBA on the main beach.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Review : Hua Hin, Thailand" started by lpak