Forums > Kitesurfing General

Safety at Altona

Created by foetus > 9 months ago, 20 Jan 2014
foetus
VIC, 4 posts
20 Jan 2014 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Time and time again, you see posts on here about how everybody needs to help out each other when launching and landing at Altona beach.
Well for the first time ever today, I was told " NO PISS OFF" when I asked one guy who was not doing anything at the time to help me launch my kite in 20knots+

Could not believe what I heard and had to ask the question again.
I always kite at Altona and all the guys are usually fantastic but disappointing to see this guy just could not give a damn.
Some might say, we'll he might not be a kiter. Well he was because his Eskie was parked on his yellow 12m Naish Park. Sorry have I said to much.........

I really hope this is not coming into our sport because it's only going to take accidents like this guy to have the council step in and shut the whole beach down.

I'm sure you know who you were because you were there all afternoon talking to all the other kiters and looking over everybody else's gear.

I know this is just a disappointing moan but having seen both serious accidents that have occurred at Altona in the last 2 seasons, it's not to much to ask to watch each other's backs, please.

Moan finished......

oldmic
NSW, 349 posts
20 Jan 2014 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Mate really....
I would have loved to kite in 20knts today instead of working in maxing heat.
Help is not mandatory

Unhook3d
WA, 467 posts
20 Jan 2014 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dowls said...
Mate really....
I would have loved to kite in 20knts today instead of working in maxing heat.
Help is not mandatory

Agreed, but in the same breath it possibly is. Depending on the circumstances. I'd be happy to self launch and self land everytime I kite, but unfortunately, for the benefit of the spot and other beach users and kiters, help to launch and land is almost mandatory unless I go miles away from the known kite spot.

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
20 Jan 2014 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

I wouldn't launch a kite for a foetus either..

DaylightDebt
WA, 296 posts
20 Jan 2014 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Shouldn't this post be in the Vic forum

TryPushHarder
QLD, 74 posts
21 Jan 2014 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

So howd you launch? It looks like your bruised ego is bringing out ur spiteful side.... imo.

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
21 Jan 2014 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaylightDebt said..

Shouldn't you shut up?

tomasjoad
46 posts
21 Jan 2014 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

Jesus Christ lads. If he was standing right beside him and refused to give him a launch then he's an absolute fu@king cu@t. Simple as that.

Not to mention the fact he told him to piss off!!

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
21 Jan 2014 6:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tomasjoad said..

Jesus Christ lads. If he was standing right beside him and refused to give him a launch then he's an absolute fu@king cu@t. Simple as that.

Not to mention the fact he told him to piss off!!

Agreed its not hard.
we have to stick together as a sporting group and be united. WHY????

when you out the back and in trouble, who ya gonna call pretty sure the ghost busters don't do ocean call outs

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Got to agree???.if someone asks you for a launch whats the big deal. Its part of the sport and part of what makes kiting a great community???this sub culture of "independent kiters" that is creeping into the sport IMO is just a bunch of ego maniacs who think they are cooler than everyone else. Probably the same kooks that would drop their kite on top of people on the beach when self landing and blame everyone else and short tack other kiters because they are independent and cooler than everyone else.

AllianceGear
NSW, 95 posts
21 Jan 2014 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

This is disappointing to hear, if a kiter needs a launch or land you should not hesitate to give them a hand. When the community starts breaking down like this its a slippery slope to loosing what is great about the sport.

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
21 Jan 2014 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

ESPECIALLY at Altona... This location has more than its fair share of incidents and self launching is a bad idea there.

I've even been known to launch someone's kite after they have launched mine (keeping mine low on the other side) just so people don't have to risk it.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaylightDebt said..

Green thumb!

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitebt said..

...this sub culture of "independent kiters" that is creeping into the sport IMO is just a bunch of ego maniacs ...

Well put. I even go to kiters that look like they are about to self-launch (even in front of other kiters) and ask anyway if they would like an assisted launch. Others ask me when I am about to self-launch and 9 out of 10 I say yes please, and give my thanks. Gee. How hard is it?

The same element infiltrated cycling for years now. You know, those "shaved legs and smooth chested cycling types". Maybe the yuppies are back!? Hmm.. maybe the economy is not as bad as we're led to believe in the media then.

Chris_M
2129 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitebt said..

Got to agree???.if someone asks you for a launch whats the big deal. Its part of the sport and part of what makes kiting a great community???this sub culture of "independent kiters" that is creeping into the sport IMO is just a bunch of ego maniacs who think they are cooler than everyone else. Probably the same kooks that would drop their kite on top of people on the beach when self landing and blame everyone else and short tack other kiters because they are independent and cooler than everyone else.

+1, what is with people who only self launch and land, even when the beach is packed, other kiters are around, and there are obstacles around?

I think its time to start a thing: A slow clap for each unnecessary self launch/ landing.

That would be pretty darn funny, especially if it was contagious and they had 30 people clapping them haha

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
21 Jan 2014 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Chris that would be hilarious. I would love to start something like that up.

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
21 Jan 2014 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
foetus said..

Time and time again, you see posts on here about how everybody needs to help out each other when launching and landing at Altona beach.
Well for the first time ever today, I was told " NO PISS OFF" when I asked one guy who was not doing anything at the time to help me launch my kite in 20knots+

I always kite at Altona and all the guys are usually fantastic but disappointing to see this guy just could not give a damn.
Some might say, we'll he might not be a kiter. Well he was because his Eskie was parked on his yellow 12m Naish Park. Sorry have I said to much.........

I really hope this is not coming into our sport because it's only going to take accidents like this guy to have the council step in and shut the whole beach down.

I'm sure you know who you were because you were there all afternoon talking to all the other kiters and looking over everybody else's gear.

I know this is just a disappointing moan but having seen both serious accidents that have occurred at Altona in the last 2 seasons, it's not to much to ask to watch each other's backs, please.

Moan finished......

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
21 Jan 2014 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

good to see there are still kiters around that aren't too cool to help each other out, I know around here all the locals are happy to launch and land kites just don't make them wait around for you to get your **** together. BUT I self launch and land most of the time now even when other kiters are around purely to keep practiced as many times I don't have anyone to do it for me on some of the trickier launch spots.
Don't worry though I will always offer to launch or land someone else.

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
21 Jan 2014 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Am I the only one to ignore such requests...

A simple.. Learn to self land/launch usually does the trick..

You dont drive a car without learning to paralel park do you?

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
21 Jan 2014 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ no surprise there

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
21 Jan 2014 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NoBS said..

foetus said..

Moan finished......

It's a beach with no margin for error and a set of power lines on the other side. I can self launch and land but I normally get other people to land me because it is the safer option.

Now I know why WA gets all the euros. With your attitude, you deserve them.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
21 Jan 2014 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Saffer said..

GREEN THUMBS PLEASE !!!

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
21 Jan 2014 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said..

Saffer said..

GREEN THUMBS PLEASE !!!

Eat a snickers...

WA, 1255 posts
21 Jan 2014 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said..

The same element infiltrated cycling for years now. You know, those "shaved legs and smooth chested cycling types".

what element and what did they do?

btw: Im not a cyclist, just curious how these cyclists relate to kiters.. Did they not give each other a push off or something?

random101
VIC, 90 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
default said..

Kazan said..

The same element infiltrated cycling for years now. You know, those "shaved legs and smooth chested cycling types".

what element and what did they do?

btw: Im not a cyclist, just curious how these cyclists relate to kiters.. Did they not give each other a push off or something?

I'm a cyclist, I think it's much more friendly... Obliviously if you're a newb you'll get sorted out pretty quick... the quick riders will just break you off :)

But if you put in the hard work they will be more then happy to ride with you if you're safe. Though we don't like the people on the TT's...

Back to Altona..

It's going to ****... The amount of kites parked at 12 is ridiculous...

Note; If you park your kite when there is a kiter who has ran out of room and he turns around... Drop your kite... otherwise if he will run you over.

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I have to say the guys bit of a d@ck. I don't kite at that end of Altona for that reason.

I can self launch and land but don't do it there if someone is around to help.

There have been guys with that attitude in skateboarding and we usually sort them out pretty quickly. We don't smack em around, we just ignore them when they need help or ask us to move. Usually with a response like "Sorry man my ego is so big I did not see you" They get the point pretty quickly.

You need to tell them they are being a w@nker and pull there head in.

Altona is an awesome place to kite with a cool vibe 99% of people that kite there are cool.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Jan 2014 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

if its such a sketchy area to self launch and land youd think someone would have the brains to put a secure tether launch and landing post, take it upon yourself to do it, nearly all accidents happen during this stage, a tether point wont tell you to piss off

random101
VIC, 90 posts
22 Jan 2014 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
a tether point wont tell you to piss off

The power pole / lines are a great tether point...

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
22 Jan 2014 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Even in jest, a statement about tethering to a power pole is wrong. If somebody ends up doing that, and their kite arcs across due to whatever reason, they get wrapped and fried, you would not sleep too well at night. Some people are not bright enough to figure that out, and read a statement like that and think it might be a good idea.
Courtesy is king. I self launch and land almost all of the time, but when our beach gets busy, everyone around here is willing to help. Yes, we have a knuckle head or two, but all in all it's pretty sweet. I wish more people would practice the art of kindness no matter what skill level they have.

random101
VIC, 90 posts
22 Jan 2014 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
Some people are not bright enough to figure that out, and read a statement like that and think it might be a good idea.

All the more reason to add a bit more chlorine to the gene pool, can't wait for the next edition of the Darwin awards :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Safety at Altona" started by foetus