Forums > Kitesurfing General

Setting up and walking it out for launch in water

Created by Dazza H > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2009
Dazza H
QLD, 4 posts
29 Jun 2009 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys

I want to head up to Lake Weyba but the set up in the water has alway put me off.
I know i have to pump up the kite and set up my bar and lines up on the shore but what do i do then?
How do i get the kite and lines out in the water without tangling it all up?
Once i get out there how do i set it up for a launch.
I use a 12m cabrinha CO2 C-Kite

Cheers
Dazza

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
29 Jun 2009 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Head over to Kiteforum. I'm pretty sure there was a recent thread there on walking or swimming out and launching from the water. Also I have seen a video on kiteforum about setting up on shore and launching from a boat - similar thing I figure.

Glennno
QLD, 124 posts
30 Jun 2009 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

connect your chicken loop to something on the beach ie launch rope tied to a tree etc. Walk your kite out to the edge of the window and as long as there is constant wind it should sit there fine. Goto your bar, hook in and launch just like you do anytime on the water.

milko
NSW, 604 posts
30 Jun 2009 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Glennno said...

connect your chicken loop to something on the beach ie launch rope tied to a tree etc. Walk your kite out to the edge of the window and as long as there is constant wind it should sit there fine. Goto your bar, hook in and launch just like you do anytime on the water.

what if its dead onshore..

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
30 Jun 2009 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Glennno's method is not a good idea in this case, we're talking about a C kite.

Freeflow
QLD, 133 posts
30 Jun 2009 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dazza – this is how I did/do it when I’m up at the lake:

With leading edge into the wind, lay out lines downwind, walk bar to kite, flip kite over left to right, hold bar and leading edge at centre and walk to water’s edge watching lines don’t get caught on roots/grass etc. If you do it carefully, you shouldn’t have any problems. If your lines do get snagged, walk back and give them a tug this should sort them out. Keep walking out a coupla hundred meters, attach chicken loop to harness, safety leash to wherever yours goes, flip kite over opposite direction to previously (in my example right to left) so that kite is leading edge face down, into wind. Let it float downwind holding onto bar depowered. When the lines become tight let it move to the edge of the window and launch as per normal water relaunch. I started out using a 2005 14m CO2 up there a few years back and very rarely had problems. The only thing I had to watch out for was the wingtip bullets coming loose and getting tangled on the wingtips while I was walking out.

Having said all of that, you can’t beat kiting with a mate up at Weyba so that they can make sure your lines don’t get tangled and if anything goes wrong.

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
30 Jun 2009 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Give George a call (Adventure Sports at Noosa) and find out when he teaches at Weyba. I am sure he will be happy to teach you launching there at the cost of a carlton if he is in a good mood

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
30 Jun 2009 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

When launching from a boat I lay all my lines out on the beach and connect my kite. Then pull the 5th line or front line re ride in so it is fully flagged and wind your lines on the bar(carefully).
Normaly the kite will drift down wind on its nose as you unwind your lines.

Ricca
1 posts
1 Jul 2009 3:43AM
Thumbs Up

Have in water launched many times, using the same method as Freeflow suggests. Good idea to push your leading edge under water to weigh down the kite (just like putting some sand on it on the beach), and this stops it self launching as it drifts downwind.

Getting off the beach without snagging your lines at Weyba is the hardest part!!! Good luck

Crashtest
QLD, 52 posts
3 Jul 2009 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Freeflow said...

Hey Dazza – this is how I did/do it when I’m up at the lake:

With leading edge into the wind, lay out lines downwind, walk bar to kite, flip kite over left to right, hold bar and leading edge at centre and walk to water’s edge watching lines don’t get caught on roots/grass etc. If you do it carefully, you shouldn’t have any problems. If your lines do get snagged, walk back and give them a tug this should sort them out. Keep walking out a coupla hundred meters, attach chicken loop to harness, safety leash to wherever yours goes, flip kite over opposite direction to previously (in my example right to left) so that kite is leading edge face down, into wind. Let it float downwind holding onto bar depowered. When the lines become tight let it move to the edge of the window and launch as per normal water relaunch. I started out using a 2005 14m CO2 up there a few years back and very rarely had problems. The only thing I had to watch out for was the wingtip bullets coming loose and getting tangled on the wingtips while I was walking out.

Having said all of that, you can’t beat kiting with a mate up at Weyba so that they can make sure your lines don’t get tangled and if anything goes wrong.

I have kited heaps of times at Weyba and Freeflow is right with his comments.

I set up a little different these days if at Weyba. I actually leave the kite on the edge of the bank where you walk your kite through, and walk out and poke the donkey dick into the sand, then run my lines back to the kite in the water. No need to worry about getting stuck on tree roots. Once rigged, I simply pick up my kite and as I walk past the bar just pick it up and water launch as freeflow said.

I know it sounds weird running your lines in the water but it works a treat.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Setting up and walking it out for launch in water" started by Dazza H