Forums > Kitesurfing General

Size of kite for landboarding?

Created by TheSailingMoose > 9 months ago, 21 Mar 2014
TheSailingMoose
VIC, 142 posts
21 Mar 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey all,
A poley here looking for some winter fun on the southerlies xD. I have had an ozone ignition (3.0m) 3-line kite for some time and muck about on a skateboard with it. I have recently bought a land board (comp 95) to go on the beach. Is the 3.0m going to be big enough in 10-15 knots of wind or would something slightly bigger be better? Im not looking for jumps, just straight baf'ing.
Also would something with a harness (4-line) make it easier?
Cheers,
Moose

Gippy13
VIC, 119 posts
21 Mar 2014 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate, You probably want to look into getting a dedicated 4-line kite for landboarding. Although you need less power than if you were on the water, I would usually at least have a 5m land kite up for those winds (if not a 7m water kite). Some land kites can be flown without a harness (they are flown on a set of two handles), and behave very different to water kites. So if you have some experience on a depower kite I suggest get something you can hook into with a harness, otherwise look for something more plug and play (a land kite 4-5m with handles and 4 lines). PM for more info if you want, I know the spots for VIC, most beaches aren't ideal for landboarding.

Plummet
4862 posts
21 Mar 2014 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Don't do it man! you will discover the joy of kiting then in one years time yourl be selling all your pole related stuff.

3.0 is too small. for 10-15 knots. I use a 15m depower in those winds..... (but i've been doing it a while)

go 5m fixed bridle for 10-15
or 10m depower. (you need to double the size for depower compared to fixed bridle)

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
21 Mar 2014 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TheSailingMoose said..

Hey all,
A poley here looking for some winter fun on the southerlies xD. I have had an ozone ignition (3.0m) 3-line kite for some time and muck about on a skateboard with it. I have recently bought a land board (comp 95) to go on the beach. Is the 3.0m going to be big enough in 10-15 knots of wind or would something slightly bigger be better? Im not looking for jumps, just straight baf'ing.
Also would something with a harness (4-line) make it easier?
Cheers,
Moose

So is 3m ok on the skateboard?

TheSailingMoose
VIC, 142 posts
21 Mar 2014 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

So is 3m ok on the skateboard?

3m gets me up to a good sprinting speed but the carpark is that big so i have to slow down fairly quickly, thats why i've got the landboard so i can go on the beach (more space) and get some nice runs in.
Select to expand quote
Gippy13 said..

PM for more info if you want, I know the spots for VIC, most beaches aren't ideal for landboarding.
Also, im in queenscliff. Prevailing wind is S-SE and the beach runs east-west swinging around to the south.

@Plummet, Kiting on the water scares me and its not something i want to do (I've seen quite a few kiters lose it on swan bay and its not pretty). The kites are too big to be safe so i will definitely keep up the windsurfing too when a good westerly/northerly comes through on swan bay. Landboarding requires a smaller kite to get going and im not looking for air. Smaller kite should be safer.

Plummet
4862 posts
21 Mar 2014 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TheSailingMoose said..

Landboarding requires a smaller kite to get going and im not looking for air. Smaller kite should be safer.

Landboarding is more dangerous that kitesurfing. The ground is hard! Small kites can be more dangerous than big ones!,,, They are fast and if you fly them wrong very easy to be yanked off the board! If you fall off on a landboard it hurts. Fall of on the water.... just a benign splash down.

But don't let that stop you. landboarding is fun. You can go faster, better upwind, kite in lighter winds and who doesn't like to slide.

PS I started landboarding with no intention to either kitesurf or jump........ .. .. . .. . . . . now I'm landboard, longboard skateboard buggy, and water.

its a slippery slope and once your addicted its all over.

austin
671 posts
21 Mar 2014 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

GO BIG!
only a few knots smaller than land, used to use a 6m nemi in 25-30 knots

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Size of kite for landboarding?" started by TheSailingMoose