Forums > Kitesurfing General

Slingshot Octane 7m - opinions?

Created by hebbo > 9 months ago, 4 Apr 2016
hebbo
VIC, 18 posts
4 Apr 2016 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there.

I am looking for a winter kite for the stronger wind and came a across a Slinghost Octane 7m for an affordable price :)

Couldn't find much information online. Seems like is a not a very common one. Has anyone has any experience with it?
I am a beginner learning to jump, go toe-side and so on.

Thanks

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
4 Apr 2016 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

What year is the kite? I would steer clear of anything that's 2009/2010.

m00chy
WA, 77 posts
4 Apr 2016 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

What year is it? The Octane name was used on a c shaped kite and then the Octane was the hybrid shape kite about 2010 after slingshot stopped calling it the Rev.

Anyways if its the hybrid then its a really good kite. The Rev and Octane were great kites apart from one fault, they had pulleys in the bridle which used to put twists in the bridle and thus shorten it and make it fly like a dog. But you just have to get new ones made and all good.

They removed the pulleys fromn the bridle after the octane. The older octane (C shaped) is a no-no for a beginner in comparison to the hybrid.

hebbo
VIC, 18 posts
4 Apr 2016 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info guys.

I can't remember now, but I would say the kite is from 2012. It may be the hybrid one. Will have a look to the bridles and check the setup. Wouldn't want the kite to "fly like a dog" on a 30knots wind :)

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
4 Apr 2016 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Neither the bridled or C version were very good kites imo. I've flown both of them. I'd look for something newer than 2012. You can usually get small sizes pretty cheap.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
4 Apr 2016 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

The little Ozone Edges are meant to be amazing - Eddy Lansink from Versus Kiteboarding the Netherlands has some great videos of him riding the 7m Edge in some crazy 40 knot storm and going huge....

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
4 Apr 2016 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

The hybrid was only made 2010 not a great kite, they replaced it with the rally.
Find a rally or rpm from 2012 onwards. Plenty on Seabreeze

hebbo
VIC, 18 posts
4 Apr 2016 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the comments.

Rally and RPM are among the cards. Just waiting for a good offer to come in Melbourne.

SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 317 posts
5 Apr 2016 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

I hired a 7m Octane in the Philippines and all I remember was it was SUPER twitchy. I couldnt boost without something going wrong. I'd suggest an 8m, depends on your weight however, I'm about 75kg.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
5 Apr 2016 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

if you're a beginner...
wait till summer.
forget the small kite winter storm madness!

farNT
QLD, 89 posts
8 Apr 2016 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hebbo
Mate I have an octane 11m and of the 4 kites I own BWS, liquid force, Naish, and the octane it is by far my favourite ..great boost and hang time and good upwind .also good for the waves .It takes a bit to get used to but an awesome kite. They stopped making them in 2010,,I picked mine up from a local classifieds for $100with bar in pristine condition .Then after a couple of sessions the valves delaminated but was an easy fix with a bit of tarzan grip..
How much are they asking for it??

Ragzilla
VIC, 240 posts
9 Apr 2016 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Dude, I ride revs.

They are frecking great kites.

My 11m is he bet kite I've ever flown...
Way better than my 2011 & 2014 kites.

Use a newer bar, coz the bars a pretty basic, but the canopy is still good.

I'd go for a rev before a turbo......

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Slingshot Octane 7m - opinions?" started by hebbo