Forums > Kitesurfing General

Snapped bar tip - 2014 Ozone contact push away bar

Created by tarrm > 9 months ago, 27 Jan 2014
tarrm
5 posts
27 Jan 2014 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Had an awesome session on Saturday on my 10m Catalyst until this happened.

Left hand plastic tip snapped off. It shot up the kite lines and cut right through the safety line. The kite fell to the water in the waves.

When I hit the quick release the kite completely disconnected from me. Luckily there were other kiters who could help rescue the kite.

I had a session on thursday by myself so I'm very glad this didn't happen then.

This is the bar I am talking about. I have been using it since October 2013. 3-4 sessions per month.

ozonekites.com/products/water-kites

I have contacted the shop I purchased it from and they said they will contact Ozone about it.

matix
34 posts
27 Jan 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

wow thats really suprising!

ozone will probaly give you a new bar and lines. they have awesome warrenty service.

tarrm
5 posts
27 Jan 2014 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
matix said..

wow thats really suprising!

ozone will probaly give you a new bar and lines. they have awesome warrenty service.

yeah I hope so. Fingers crossed it's just a one off weakness with the left moulded plastic tip.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
27 Jan 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
matix said..
they have awesome warrenty service.

they don't. i had wear on a bar that was 3 months old and was told it was incorrect use of the bar ?

Awesome kites, but sh!t backup service . this was a race bar last year .

Plummet
4862 posts
27 Jan 2014 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..
was told it was incorrect use of the bar ?

what were you using the bar for? bedroom gymnastics?

27 Jan 2014 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

matix said..

they don't. i had wear on a bar that was 3 months old and was told it was incorrect use of the bar ?

@ Dusta - I'm in charge of warranty in Australia, and there is no way we have sh!t warranty. Whenever there is clear warranty we cover it 100%. Right now I don't have any details of your issue, but if it was knocked back, there was a very clear reason.
@Zephyrguy - Take the bar in to see your dealer, posting pics on here without talking to your dealer is a beat up and won't help your case. I've never seen the actual bar end break like that, I've seen them pulled right off, but all were involved in kitemares and not warrantys. Each claim is taken very seriously and treated individually by the selling dealer the the importer/distributor and the head of Ozone who investigates each warranty claim.

tarrm
5 posts
27 Jan 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kitepower Australia said..

dusta said..

matix said..

@ Dusta - I'm in charge of warranty in Australia, and there is no way we have sh!t warranty. Whenever there is clear warranty we cover it 100%. Right now I don't have any details of your issue, but if it was knocked back, there was a very clear reason.
@Zephyrguy - Take the bar in to see your dealer, posting pics on here without talking to your dealer is a beat up and won't help your case. I've never seen the actual bar end break like that, I've seen them pulled right off, but all were involved in kitemares and not warrantys. Each claim is taken very seriously and treated individually by the selling dealer the the importer/distributor and the head of Ozone who investigates each warranty claim.

First thing I did was email pics to the shop I purchased from. I think it's perfectly ok to post pics on here. When you say "your dealer", are you referring to the shop or the supplier of the shop I bought it from?

27 Jan 2014 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

The shop where you bought it, if they don't deal with it promptly then go to the distributor, but you should at least contact the shop first and give them a chance to look into it.
Takes a lot of force to break the bar end off, and every single bar is load tested at the factory, there is even a mark on the bar to signify it passed the load test, if it does not pass it does not get into production.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Snapped bar tip - 2014 Ozone contact push away bar" started by tarrm