Forums > Kitesurfing General

South America

Created by harveybell > 9 months ago, 17 Jul 2015
harveybell
NSW, 1 posts
17 Jul 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sup

About to head off and travel through South America (Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela)....

have about 2-3 months and wanted to hit as many or the best kite surfing spots,

was hoping for any suggestions and must does on my trip???
spots i shouldn't miss???

Keen wave rider but love the flat spots too

any help is seriously much appreciated as most online research comes up well short!!!

Also any gear i should definitely take?

so far in my quiver i have:

2 kites (10m, 12m as i'm a slightly big chap)
2 bars
harness
1 twin tip board
and two pumps.....

Cheers and thanks for any replys

Harvey

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
18 Jul 2015 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

seriously...why the red thumbs this time? Not pimping, so what did he do wrong?
Have not kited there but soooo much to see and do. Have a friend with a cool kite resort in CHili Pm me and I can help you out. Once there he will sort you out. Speaks good english. Bring one pump, you will be fine. For three months I would almost be inclined to take one bar too. Meet the right people and you can always fix something. Bring spares for your bar like your safety flagging line etc, but not a whole bar.
I have another friend over in northern Peru right now and he is scoring both kite and surf. If you are into waves bring a surfboard and a tt. You should be able to get all that in a good surf board bag and still be under weight. Harness goes in a backpack or onboard. Have fun, keep searching around other forums too. I can't wait to hit South America, its coming to a theater near me in the very near future.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
18 Jul 2015 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

It's not Chilli, it's CHILE hueon! LOL
I am Chilean.
Punto de Lobos is a great surf spot and wave kiting is huge there.
There is an Aussie actually that I think has a kite school near there. I'll look him up for you.
Oh and if you can learn some Spanish, especially a joke or two, you will be welcomed like a brother. Read up a little about the Condorito character. They love it. And don't try and chat up the Latina babes. Otherwise they'll think you're just another yankee gringo and kapow!

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
18 Jul 2015 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

typed after a long night in San Sebastion...things don't even get started until 10 pm...I do know it's Chile, I am Mexican myself.....typo...

Phoney
NSW, 601 posts
18 Jul 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

I was in Colombia in December last year. Cartagena has a kite season between November and March with good winds for big kites (15 - 18kts, low 20's on good days). Cabo de la Vela, a desert peninsula much further east from there is epic (google map it) but it's a big mission to get there and nothing other than kiting to do. Butter flat, 30 - 35kts consistent winds. But again Colombia's season is like our season for months.

When I was in Peru & Ecuador in October / November (~8 years ago) there was no wind at all at the beaches I went tol.

The thing is, where there is kiting options there is usually kite gear available to hire for fairly cheap so you should probably weigh up whether it's cheaper to do that rather than pay for extra luggage and haul your gear around with you everywhere you go where you wont be using it..

Have fun amigo!

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
19 Jul 2015 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Phoney said..
I was in Colombia in December last year. Cartagena has a kite season between November and March with good winds for big kites (15 - 18kts, low 20's on good days). Cabo de la Vela, a desert peninsula much further east from there is epic (google map it) but it's a big mission to get there and nothing other than kiting to do. Butter flat, 30 - 35kts consistent winds. But again Colombia's season is like our season for months.

When I was in Peru & Ecuador in October / November (~8 years ago) there was no wind at all at the beaches I went tol.

The thing is, where there is kiting options there is usually kite gear available to hire for fairly cheap so you should probably weigh up whether it's cheaper to do that rather than pay for extra luggage and haul your gear around with you everywhere you go where you wont be using it..

Have fun amigo!

In that case I would take two bars and lines. I would not trust anyone else's bar and safety systems.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
19 Jul 2015 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
typed after a long night in San Sebastion...things don't even get started until 10 pm...I do know it's Chile, I am Mexican myself.....typo...

LOL... Los Mejicanos always have a name for every other country other than their own!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"South America" started by harveybell