Forums > Kitesurfing General

Southeast Asia - September/October, 2 weeks

Created by lachyzee > 9 months ago, 4 Jun 2013
lachyzee
2 posts
4 Jun 2013 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

G'day, first time poster (obviously), hoping to draw on your expertise...

I've got two weeks leave at the end of Sept/start of Oct (20 Sept - 6 Oct).

I'm after somewhere to kite in SE Asia (not Aus). It can pretty much be anywhere from here to Vietnam.

I am firmly a beginner, having only done a week long beginners course at Mui Ne, and I don't own my own gear. So I'm hoping to do another solid week somewhere and progress. Therefore, it's important that wherever I go have some decent places to hire gear/undertake one or two refresher lessons.

I'll be gone for 2 weeks, so I was thinking of booking the international flights now to whatever destination I settle on, and then seeing how the wind looks close to the time before deciding which week I spend kiting (and probably spend the rest of the time looking around).

Now, the rub: is there anywhere that has a chance at some decent wind at that time of year?

All my research indicates that, at least in the part of the world I'm looking at, this is about the worst possible time of year to go...

Thanks a lot.

lachyzee
2 posts
5 Jun 2013 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

No answers?

Gnar
7 posts
5 Jun 2013 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Someone compiled a list of the top spots by month. Here is Sept-Oct

September
Adicora- Venezuela, El Gouna-Egypt, Tucus-Brazil, Mauritius, Pirlanta-Turkey, Zanzibar-Tanzania, Seychelles*, solomon Islands, Rangiroa-F.polynesia, Sumbawa-indonesia, Maui-USA, Madagascar, UK, Corsica, rosslare-Ireland, Canada, Germany, Israel, Sinai, Noordwijk ann Zee-Netherlands, Puclaro-Chile, Mancora-Peru, , NE Brazil

October
Tucus-Brazil, Western Oz, Sumbawa-indonesia, Madagascar, New Caledonia, Chile, Watergate-UK, Esbjerg-Denmark, rosslare-Ireland, Buenos aires-Argentina, Carmelo-Uruguay, Noordwijk ann Zee-Netherlands, Cape Hatteras-USA, Tarifa, Puclaro-Chile, Mancora-Peru, , NE Brazil

You've got a couple of choices there.

I was in your position not too long ago. I booked a trip to Mexico for some more lessons and practice. The best thing I did was buy my gear (only one kite) before I went so I could practice on my own without the high cost of lessons. Most places won't rent you gear if you can't stay upwind, and then the rental is ~$100 per day. If you can swing it, buying gear before you go will save you a lot of money on lessons you could be spending on another kite!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Jun 2013 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Kiteworld/ travel have a great guide to the worlds Kiting destinations, with wind charts costs in general etc etc ,

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
5 Jun 2013 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

FNQ

kiterkook
NSW, 63 posts
5 Jun 2013 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

a few of the Botany Bay crew have kited Vietnam - the report was awesome wind, awesome conditions and cheap as.

Burls
209 posts
16 Jun 2013 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Lachyzee,

Sorry to say mate, but that's the shoulder season in Asia, so it's not easy to give you a good spot to go at that time of year. There will be some wind around at the usual places Mui Ne, Boracay etc, but it will not be as anywhere as consistent as Dec/Jan/Feb (NE Monsoon - which is the pick), or July August (Which is the 'other' season but has a lot more rain).

Burls

matt81a
4 posts
8 Aug 2013 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

I am in the same situation. I am going to Phuket, Thailand. Should not be the best time of year, but I cannot choose the location or the time, so I'll make the best of it . I am taking a 17m with me though :) I will update my wind experiences after or during the vacation.
Keep us updated on where you went and how it was..

Matt

Buzz
NSW, 319 posts
8 Aug 2013 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

You & Burls are correct ... Sept/Oct is right in between the end of SW monsoon and start of the NE monsoon - worst time of the year for wind in se asia ... there is one spot in Indo, but definitely not for beginners

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
8 Aug 2013 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Bali you still get at least 40% of days with some wind and with a 17m you will be riding no probs.
Gili Island in Lombok get better wind in September and strong! Same as our North-West Bali spot but still nobody his really organize there, you would be on your own..
Bye Jankie

matt81a
4 posts
8 Aug 2013 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jankie,

I will stay in Sep17 - Oct 15th on Thailand, but then I'll go to Bali for a month. I will be staying in Negara, so Gilimanuk point seems like a good option as it is only about 30 minutes away. Would Gili Island in Lombok be a better choice to go to? If so, where would that be?
I'll stop by and visit you anyways while there and gather some more info :)
Matt

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Southeast Asia - September/October, 2 weeks" started by lachyzee