Forums > Kitesurfing General

Speed and pop

Created by SibboV1 > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2013
SibboV1
368 posts
5 Dec 2013 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Can you go too fast to effectively load and pop, or do I need to improve my skills and do it at max speed? This is for boosting as high as possible.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
5 Dec 2013 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Improve skills, go as fast as you can, edge as hard as you possibly can, then pop and reap the rewards.....

eppo
WA, 9513 posts
5 Dec 2013 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Sibbo practise loading and popping keeping ya kite at 9 ish o'clock. Get that whole come of your rail, back foot stomp thing happening. Then go a bit faster and do the same. When you can load and pop easily doing this, then go back to your slower speed and do exactly the same but this time send the kite as well. Then build your speed up, follow the same routine and send.

Plummet
4862 posts
5 Dec 2013 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

yes you can.... or more to the point be too powered to load and pop correctly

SibboV1
368 posts
5 Dec 2013 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Eppo, I'm acceptable at load and pop at everything other than full speed. When going flat out, I struggle to dig the edge in more than it already is, but if I drop a bit of speed, it all goes skyward nicely.

As plummet says, I might have too much power at that speed. I'll practice load and pop at full noise and see if I can get it working perfectly. I can see many high speed crashes, but if it results in more boost, then wooo!!

Plummet
4862 posts
5 Dec 2013 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

find some ramps to boost off!... if you can time your load and pop off a wave lip then you will get good air time!

MrFreeze
289 posts
5 Dec 2013 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Sibbo practise loading and popping keeping ya kite at 9 ish o'clock. Get that whole come of your rail, back foot stomp thing happening. Then go a bit faster and do the same. When you can load and pop easily doing this, then go back to your slower speed and do exactly the same but this time send the kite as well. Then build your speed up, follow the same routine and send.

Hmmmmm interesting

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
5 Dec 2013 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

What kite do you have and how much wind?

eppo
WA, 9513 posts
5 Dec 2013 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitcho207 said..

What kite do you have and how much wind?

What he said??

SibboV1
368 posts
6 Dec 2013 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Best TS 8m and wind was around low 20's gusting upto high 20's. I'm mid to low 70kg and the water was glass.

My board is probably too big at 136cm and it's freaking heavy compared to flash ones. Cab caliber. I've got little fins heel side and big fins toe side.

eppo
WA, 9513 posts
6 Dec 2013 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sibbo I didn't want to imply you can't load and pop. When we got on the edges which demand speed in board and wing to effectively jump I had to break down the whole load and pop thing again. Added to complexity was if you come off your rail too much you can lose kite speed easily and if you stomp too hard on the tail it would fly forward to the edge of the window and again loss of speed. Now we are on more C kite based kites I had to break it down all over again!

Best TS is in that latter category.

yeh at 70kg, a 42 wide board is a relatively 'harder' board to control immense speeds for good load and pop. But perfect for your freestyle needs! If you don't have them, maybe try some 50's on your heelside as well, not totally necessary but they really help in the ocean if that's where you are. I love 35's but put 50's on when trying to go as big as I can. I ride a 135 by 41 to try and find some middle ground between freestyle and old school boosts but I can get topped out like you are finding to at a similar weight to you. Thinking of getting a 129 by 39 actually for that purpose.

I was just saying it might pay to break it all back down then see if you can find a new top speed before you are pulled off your line.

Air
QLD, 55 posts
6 Dec 2013 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrFreeze said..

eppo said..

Hmmmmm interesting

eppo, I think you have a stalker.

eppo
WA, 9513 posts
6 Dec 2013 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers and yes I have noticed. Nice to be noticed but I doubt my ass crack is too safe.

Gilly3
QLD, 799 posts
6 Dec 2013 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

MrFreeze = The Joker??

Hmmmmm Interesting

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
6 Dec 2013 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

This is what you want if you want to hold down a big kite and boost

eppo
WA, 9513 posts
6 Dec 2013 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Turtle what's that board??

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
6 Dec 2013 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Turtle what's that board??

old
It's a delta carbon that I used to use with boots (lots of spray since the boots were wider than the board). I bought it second hand, I think it may have been Dan Andersons board originally. Is this what your looking for

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1877 posts
6 Dec 2013 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said...
yes you can.... or more to the point be too powered to load and pop correctly

Agreed - at max speed on glass, you will just slide as if on concrete...

On flatwater - your only full powered option is to use the wake of someone going the opposite direction... Youll only need about 3 inches if your aggresive and timings perfect !

Just watch a clip of any Speed record guys trying to stop at the end and youll figure it out - same effect...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Speed and pop" started by SibboV1