Forums > Kitesurfing General

St Kilda Kiteboarding Quiz

Created by StKildaQuiz > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2009
StKildaQuiz
VIC, 2 posts
8 Jan 2009 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Win continued access to your favourite kiteboarding spot by completing this questionaire and getting at least 80%. Yes, you to can behave like a respectable human being whilst kiting at St Kilda.

Question 1 - When there are fishermen on the pier fishing its important to...

a) Kite as close to them as possible so you can see what gear they are using
b) Try ride over their lines so you piss them off enough to leave
c) Ride 50m away so you don't aggravate them and cause a complaint or worse still, a ban

Question 2 - When you are an instructor its important to...

a) Show off to your students whilst on the water so they can see which school has the best instructor
b) Set a good example of how kiteboarders should behave by following basic right of way rules and being considerate to other riders
c) Do jumps on the beach to impress the one and only woman tanning on the beach in 20 knots

Question 3 - How does right of way work?

a) Right of way follows basic marine right of way rules supplied on numerous website
b) Right of way is governed by the best rider
c) Who the cares about right of way, get out of my way you stupid rsole!

Question 4 - When riding in the pond, the person who gets to ride closest to the pier is

a) generally the biggest slingshot wannabe with a fuel, a set of balls and no regard for anyone else
b) the person who muscles out the other riders by behaving like a nob until everyone else leaves
c) the person who gets there first, after all, they were there first.

Question 5 - How close can you ride to the pier?

a) 50m is the closest
b) As close as you want, provided you have balls
c) Depends on how many people on the pier are cheering for you to jump bigger (or screaming at you with their fishing rods)

Question 6 - As a newbie its important to make sure

a) To all line up along the sand bank so no riders can launch or land, after all, if they can't get in or out, the water is so much quieter
b) that you are considerate to other riders and act safely
c) To do stupid things like my instructor does

Question 7 - When launching on the beach, its important to...

a) self launch 20 meters from the wall because I'm good enough
b) Look around before launching so I don't tangle with other kiters.
c) Walk across the road into the park so I don't get sand on my new kite

Question 8 - Courteous and consideration to other riders (circle all correct answers) - When I kite at St Kilda, I like to...

a) Stand with my kite in the air in the middle of the pond section so no one can get past and then give people a mouthful when they complain about it
b) Jump over my mates when the drop their kites in the water
c) Be considerate to other riders because we all have the right to share the water

Question 9 - When things don't go my way I like to...

a) Threaten the bastard and make sure he understands I'll kick the **** out of him if he does it again
b) Understand that things happen and move on, after all, we're all here to have fun
c) Shout and scream at the guy the next time I kite past him

Question 10 When approached by riders about something I've done wrong...

a) I generally just apologise, its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission and hey, I'll just apologise next time
b) Express an honest interest in not doing it again and apologise
c) Tell the person to piss off, who the &^#$ does he think he is telling me what to do!

Question 11 When riding whilst there are swimmers in the water I try to...

a) I try to get close enough to high five them, kiteboarding is kewl, how could they not want to give me a high five
b) Try to buzz them out the water by spraying them. What the hell are they doing kiteboarding in my bay?
c) Try to keep my distance for safety reasons. Everyone has the right to use the bay and they'll move eventually.

Question 12 The best place to kiteloop or do a back mobe is...

a) right in front of the people so they can see how kewl I am. If the kite hits one of them, its a casualty of way and they should feel lucky to have touched my kite anyway
b) right in the middle of the beginners. What better way to show them who is best!
c) when there is lots of space downwind and no risk to swimmers

Question 13 I can show the other kiters I am best by...

a) Muscling them out the water and trying to keep it to myself
b) Competing and winning the Victoria Kiteboarding Nationals
c) By riding inside the pier pylon and doing wakestyle tricks to impress the people on the pier

Question 14 When the pond is busy I like to...

a) Go ride in the middle of everyone. If we can't fit 30 kiters in there, then the people aren't good enough to be there
b) Go ride elsewhere until it quietens down
c) Ride in the busiest place at the pond so people move elsewhere

Question 15 Chicks watching will think I'm kewl if I...

a) Behave like a complete rsole on the water and endanger other people
b) Who honestly comes down to kite so they can pick up women?
c) Spray them while they are swimming

jackgearo
NSW, 331 posts
8 Jan 2009 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

its taken me 10mins to read and still havent finished..... there are some good points in there that envolve everywhere not just st kilda.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
8 Jan 2009 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

sooooooo glad I dont live in a concrete jungle city with a load of tosses

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
9 Jan 2009 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

get a job!

StKildaQuiz
VIC, 2 posts
9 Jan 2009 2:03AM
Thumbs Up

hookworm said...

get a job!

Your attitude proves my point.

Most of the above were observed during the last week.

P.s. I have a job, I'm on holiday.

Here is a repost with some information regarding when some of the stuff happened:

Question 1 - When there are fishermen on the pier fishing its important to...

a) Kite as close to them as possible so you can see what gear they are using (observed yesterday)
b) Try ride over their lines so you piss them off enough to leave (observed yesterday)
c) Ride 50m away so you don't aggravate them and cause a complaint or worse still, a ban

Question 2 - When you are an instructor its important to...

a) Show off to your students whilst on the water so they can see which school has the best instructor (observed yesterday)
b) Set a good example of how kiteboarders should behave by following basic right of way rules and being considerate to other riders
c) Do jumps on the beach to impress the one and only woman tanning on the beach in 20 knots

Question 3 - How does right of way work?

a) Right of way follows basic marine right of way rules supplied on numerous website
b) Right of way is governed by the best rider (observed yesterday)
c) Who the cares about right of way, get out of my way you stupid rsole! (observed yesterday)

Question 4 - When riding in the pond, the person who gets to ride closest to the pier is

a) generally the biggest slingshot wannabe with a fuel, a set of balls and no regard for anyone else (observed yesterday)
b) the person who muscles out the other riders by behaving like a nob until everyone else leaves (observed yesterday)
c) the person who gets there first, after all, they were there first.

Question 5 - How close can you ride to the pier?

a) 50m is the closest
b) As close as you want, provided you have balls (observed yesterday and today - riding behind the pylon is not allowed!)
c) Depends on how many people on the pier are cheering for you to jump bigger (or screaming at you with their fishing rods) (observed yesterday)

Question 6 - As a newbie its important to make sure

a) To all line up along the sand bank so no riders can launch or land, after all, if they can't get in or out, the water is so much quieter (observed most of this week)
b) that you are considerate to other riders and act safely
c) To do stupid things like my instructor does (observed yesterday - an instructor walking with no harness or leash and the kite above his head)

Question 7 - When launching on the beach, its important to...

a) self launch 20 meters from the wall because I'm good enough (observed today - guy on a naish kite self launching less than 20 meters from the wall when there were plenty of people around he could have asked to launch him)
b) Look around before launching so I don't tangle with other kiters.
c) Walk across the road into the park so I don't get sand on my new kite (happens all the time next to the pond)

Question 8 - Courteous and consideration to other riders (circle all correct answers) - When I kite at St Kilda, I like to...

a) Stand with my kite in the air in the middle of the pond section so no one can get past and then give people a mouthful when they complain about it (observed yesterday)
b) Jump over my mates when the drop their kites in the water
c) Be considerate to other riders because we all have the right to share the water

Question 9 - When things don't go my way I like to...

a) Threaten the bastard and make sure he understands I'll kick the **** out of him if he does it again
b) Understand that things happen and move on, after all, we're all here to have fun
c) Shout and scream at the guy the next time I kite past him (observed many times)

Question 10 When approached by riders about something I've done wrong...

a) I generally just apologise, its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission and hey, I'll just apologise next time (observed often - people do stuff, apologise and do it again)
b) Express an honest interest in not doing it again and apologise
c) Tell the person to piss off, who the &^#$ does he think he is telling me what to do! (observed many times)

Question 11 When riding whilst there are swimmers in the water I try to...

a) I try to get close enough to high five them, kiteboarding is kewl, how could they not want to give me a high five (observed a couple of times this week on different days)
b) Try to buzz them out the water by spraying them. What the hell are they doing kiteboarding in my bay? (observed more than once this week)
c) Try to keep my distance for safety reasons. Everyone has the right to use the bay and they'll move eventually.

Question 12 The best place to kiteloop or do a back mobe is...

a) right in front of the people so they can see how kewl I am. If the kite hits one of them, its a casualty of war and they should feel lucky to have touched my kite anyway (observed recently - mobes near the beach nearly taking out bystanders)
b) right in the middle of the beginners. What better way to show them who is best! (observed many times)
c) when there is lots of space downwind and no risk to swimmers

Question 13 I can show the other kiters I am best by...

a) Muscling them out the water and trying to keep it to myself (observed many times)
b) Competing and winning the Victoria Kiteboarding Nationals
c) By riding inside the pier pylon and doing wakestyle tricks to impress the people on the pier (observed yesterday and today - I repeat, riding behind the pylon is NOT allowed)

Question 14 When the pond is busy I like to...

a) Go ride in the middle of everyone. If we can't fit 30 kiters in there, then the people aren't good enough to be there (observed many times this week - 20 riders fighting for the flat spot at the bottom of the pond and the whole middle section open)
b) Go ride elsewhere until it quietens down
c) Ride in the busiest place at the pond so people move elsewhere (see point a.)

Question 15 Chicks watching will think I'm kewl if I...

a) Behave like a complete rsole on the water and endanger other people (put a hot chick on the beach and see how it changes the behavior of some riders)
b) Who honestly comes down to kite so they can pick up women?
c) Spray them while they are swimming (seen earlier this week)

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
9 Jan 2009 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

my point is, your telling the wrong people, most of the people on this forum know the rules and regs about st kilda its the people that are not on this forum and new to the sport that dont know so maybe instead of wasting time with a quiz for people who know the rule's, why not go down to st kilda "in person" and try explain to the trouble makers that they are doing the wrong thing like the boy's from kbv have been doing all summer.

Jeff2231
NSW, 414 posts
9 Jan 2009 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hook is the worst person out there, he $hits on the beach while jumping over tanning fishermen [}:)]

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
9 Jan 2009 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

and i piss on beached whales

RobR
VIC, 121 posts
9 Jan 2009 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

As KBV Members/Contacts will know StKilda is under some pressure following complaints to council by beachgoers whereby kiters have clearly breached beach protocols and probably the law.

I commend StKildaQuiz Master for his efforts to bring a number of very serious alleged incidents to the attention of all. These incidents include riding at speed through swimmers and flying kites over beach goers which I have recently observed also.

I in the last few days I have approached a number of kiters who were either too close to shore and or riding inside the RMYS Slipway area indicating these are no kiting areas or designated 5knot zones. The general response has been courteous with a range of reasons including; others do it, there are no signs, I’ve kited here for years and it has never been a problem before, I am new to the area and don’t know the “rules” etc, etc.

While all these excuses have some validity the 5knot - 50m fixed object rule wins. What the StKilda locals do not want to be faced with is a ban on kiting because of a few who do not follow the “rules”. Therefore I would commend those that kite at StKilda to remind others who may be transgressing the protocols/law that their irresponsible actions may cause all kiters in the area to suffer. Two signs at the Beaconsfield Parade entrances to StKilda West Beach clearly show the 5knot zones. And Hookworm it appears what was previously only conjecture about your habits may be true……..

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
10 Jan 2009 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

ok ok i admit i may have done some ofensive things in the past but i've never urinated on a whale it was a baby seal to be honest. but i do agree with the quiz master but what i'd like to see is more do and less talk about it.

manicskier
VIC, 772 posts
10 Jan 2009 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

I think the only way is to have clear guidelines as to the behaviour in the sensitive areas... have it spelt out on the signs at the start of the beach

- dont self launch
- help others launch
- explain the kite high kite low thing
- explain that you shouldnt stand there with the kite at 12 for 15 minutes in the kiddies pool or on the beach etc
- etc etc etc

But at the end of the day, the bay area will head the way of Hayling Island www.hka.org.uk/
in terms of use - must have third party insurance (ie AKSA / KBV membership) and must be a club member, understand and abide by the rules at all times... Its not a bad thing at least i wont have people crashing kites on me and cutting my legs with the lines (happened this week), at least it may be a little less frequent.

2 cents

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
11 Jan 2009 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon the HKA system rules. Definitely the way forward for crowded areas. But Hayling get 100+ kiters out there when it's firing.

Just got back to Melbourne and waiting waiting for the wind!

mathew
QLD, 2043 posts
11 Jan 2009 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

yellow board, swallow tail.... sailing within 8 feet of the shore.

This numb-nuts was kiting through the middle of people swimming beach users,
while playing in the waves....

This was right in front of the windsurfing launch spot, with the kite flying only a few meters above the tree line.

manicskier
VIC, 772 posts
11 Jan 2009 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

I reckon the HKA system rules. Definitely the way forward for crowded areas. But Hayling get 100+ kiters out there when it's firing.

Seebreeze is on now, and has been for the last week, i have done so much kiting this last week

longy29
VIC, 77 posts
11 Jan 2009 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

How about you stop making rules, that way they cant be broken.
What ever happened to the old KBV , they were awesome

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
11 Jan 2009 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

manicskier said...

lostinlondon said...

Seebreeze is on now, and has been for the last week, i have done so much kiting this last week

Yeah, it kicked in at about 5 and I was down there for about 2 hours. Crazy gusty at St K today!

RobR
VIC, 121 posts
12 Jan 2009 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Longy29 as a “pioneer” and Team Rider for one of the Schools at StKilda shouldn’t you be showing some responsibility and leadership for appropriate riding in the area. As for the old KBV being “awesome” I suggest you don’t want to open up that can of worms. Check the facts with your school mates and you may change your view.
A very recent event of a rogue kiter at StKilda kiting among swimmers at speed in rough waves next to the shore, flying a kite over the seawall and pedestrians all observed by a council officer and duly photographed has left many who watched “gob smacked”.
And you are the one suggesting

How about you stop making rules, that way they cant be broken.
So much for the view that it is newbies causing the problem.

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
13 Jan 2009 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

OK I don't know why I got some thumbs down for that post, but I think problems could be easily rectified by some good relations from the kiteschools that work the St K beach.

1. The could have a notice board on the beach right where the little access ramp from the street is. The notice board can have some plans of the areas and explain some dos and don'ts. Since 70% of all kiters walk past the board, and if it is made visible, you have no excuse. The notice board could be taken down at the end of each day and stored in one of the kiteschool trailers.

2. When the instructors are on down time, they could spend 20 minutes handing out leaflets to kiters.

3. I don't see why the schools can't organise and spend a bit of time on this since they are making some coin out of this and its not like they are flat out all day!

I know I'm going to get some more red thumbs for this I can see it!

axis
VIC, 399 posts
13 Jan 2009 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi KBV,

Is there a pic of the St Kilda signs or map of the areas to put up on the forum/KBV website?

I notice the maps have gone while the KBV site is reconstucted.

James

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
13 Jan 2009 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

You should get maximum 1 or 2 since thera no more schools operating from the spot.
The idea is very very good IMO for the schools too since if something bad happen ( and thats only a matter of time )they might loose such perfect place, put up with restrictions etc.

RobR
VIC, 121 posts
13 Jan 2009 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

In recent discussions with a number of kiters at StKilda it was clear that many did not realize the rules that kiters must abide by. The following link relates to the recent Review of Recreational Boating Zones held by Parks Victoria and it is clear from the flyer from PV that kiters are classified as a vessel.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/mresources/haveyoursay/zones/Boating%20Zone%20Review%20Information%20Flyer.pdf

Many kiters attended the various consultation meetings organized by Parks Victoria and Marine Safety Victoria where the classification of kiters as vessels under the Marine Act was clearly pointed out. As kiters we are responsible for knowing what the law is in relation to kiting whilst we may not fully agree with it.

picker
VIC, 431 posts
17 Jan 2009 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

athol

if you have a problem why do you spend hours making some stupid quiz?

show some respect and come and speak to the people that are causing the problem

but how do you expect people to take you seriously with stupid the red bull helmet?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
17 Jan 2009 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

picker said...

athol

if you have a problem why do you spend hours making some stupid quiz?

show some respect and come and speak to the people that are causing the problem

but how do you expect people to take you seriously with stupid the red bull helmet?

Drew, unlike your standing in the middle of the pond with your kite in the air having a 30 minute conversation with a mate (I assume it was you), my choice of helmet design is hardly inconsiderate to other riders and doesn't inconvenience anyone else. Your behaviour on the other hand did and so was the mouthful I received and you did prove a point about the attitude of the so called "wakestyle" crew when approached by other people. A wonderful example of why approaching the people doesn't actually work.

Is it really worth turning this into a personal attack?

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
17 Jan 2009 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

eeeey... easy on the "wakestyle" rider generalisation. i had a ride a st.kilda today and found there to be no problems there at all. everyone was giving everyone as much space as possible, and giving away to each other. was a good fun arvo

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
17 Jan 2009 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

flemboyant said...

eeeey... easy on the "wakestyle" rider generalisation. i had a ride a st.kilda today and found there to be no problems there at all. everyone was giving everyone as much space as possible, and giving away to each other. was a good fun arvo

Fair enough, possibly a bad generalisation.

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
18 Jan 2009 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

hehe. all good mate. just stirring.but i find allot of he more advanced "wakestyle" and freestyle riders to be the easier ones to kite with in st.kilda. i think its more the inexperienced kiters with there kites above there heads that makes it more difficult.

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
18 Jan 2009 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

flemboyant said...
... i think its more the inexperienced kiters with there kites above there heads that makes it more difficult.

The more experienced kiters should use their greater skill and experience to avoid the gumbies. Gumbies can't help being gumbies but skilled kiters can choose when and where and how they ride.

One reason I don't ride at St Kilda is you frequently get hot shots doing their little tricks without giving any room to other riders.

It's easy to give people plenty of room and still show off to all of your mates. You just choose a trajectory that takes you away from people.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
18 Jan 2009 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

I do second this, this is the reason that when I do kite at st kilda(as a matter of fact thats the only place I go to) I try to kite as far as I can since the experienced riders do not know the very basic 50 m rule let alone others rules.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
19 Jan 2009 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

1) I have no idea why St Kilda gets so crowded .....even on the weekends when people have all day and hundreds of km of coastline with crystal clear CLEAN water they flock there like flies...... have these people got no sense of adventure....oh wait I know they need someone to tell them it is ok to kite here or there or over there.

2) beginners in the pond kites at 12

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
19 Jan 2009 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

i do travel half an hour to kite there at times, cos its insanely flat compared to our local spot.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
20 Jan 2009 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

SaintOverkilledTheQuiz

Hay wee hair ewe budddeee

KITEPOLICE

Honerable kite association reps who fly with RAZOR sharp lines.
kooks get kited across and No Problemo

If not, then i recomend Ak47s & RPGs... again

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"St Kilda Kiteboarding Quiz" started by StKildaQuiz