Forums > Kitesurfing General

Stranded kiters: are you competent at self-rescue?

Created by ActionSportsWA > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2013
ActionSportsWA
WA, 976 posts
27 Nov 2013 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

At 6:40PM last night, a stranded kiter was in need of assistance after he inverted his kite 600m off-shore at Pinnaroo Point (Perth, WA). Wind was cross-shore and blowing around 25 knots. Lucky he's been spotted as it was getting dark and his black kite was barely noticeable so far from the shore at sunset. After waiting 10 minutes I noticed he wasn't self-rescuing so decided to kite back out to teach him how to do it on the spot.

In the past we used to take out the rescue boat but realized the same people needed to be rescued again as they still weren't competent at self-rescue, hence why we decided to take on a more pro-active approach teaching people to self-rescue ''live'' whenever possible.

After making sure he had a decent sail going, I got back to shore and waited around to make sure he got back to land safely. Shortly after he came back, the police came down as they've received a call and were looking for the kiter and were just about to deploy a sea rescue operation in the dark. I assured them the kiter was back on shore and they called off the search.

Unfortunately, such scenarios are becoming more frequent and it becomes clear that a vast majority of kiters we helped rescue over the years simply weren't competent at self-rescuing even if most of them actually had taken multiple lessons in known school organizations (including last night's kiter).

Kite Schools:

School operators and instructors are the ones responsible for how independent and safe each student is trained to become. We all know international teaching standards are, to some extent, left to individual interpretation and ultimately the instructor chooses what to teach and how to teach.

Talking to the many kiters we helped rescue over the years, we realized that some instructors didn't even teach self-rescue at all during their lessons and others simply gave a demonstration or assisted their students in the process without ultimately letting the student practice the self-rescue on their own in deep(er) waters.

Understandably, many schools operate in shallow waters where the instructor may not see the need in spending much time teaching the self-rescue. As instructors, we have to remember that all students will, sooner rather than later, end up in deep waters and odds are that they will all one day have to self-rescue.

Students can only be deemed competent at self-rescuing once you've seen them successfully complete at least one self-rescue without any assistance (verbal or physical) and without touching the bottom (if done in shallower waters). This exercise often has to be repeated for the student to become truly competent and feel independent.

If as instructors we continue to cut corners and put half efforts in teaching self-rescue, this will inevitably continue to produce poor results once the student is confronted with real life scenarios.

Kiters:

All kiters who venture out in deep waters must ensure they are truly competent at self-rescuing. Remember that just like any other kiter you can easily get in trouble and if you're not competent at self-rescuing you may be forcing other people to come help you and in some cases have a sea rescue operation deployed to come get you.

When getting lessons, you must ensure that you are asked to perform a self-rescue on your own and if necessary are asked to repeat the process until you feel competent and independent in doing so.

Avoid making the mistake of assuming you are competent at self-rescuing if you've never had a chance to practice it in a ''real life'' scenario without assistance. A self-rescue demonstration from your instructor on the beach or an assisted self-rescue practice in shallow waters simply isn't enough.

When choosing to go out kiting later in the day (One hour or less before sunset), please ensure you are staying within 200 meters to the shore. This way, if you get in trouble you will be able to reach the shore much quicker without raising the alarm. You will also be easier to see. Also remember that in Perth, before sunset, the wind sometimes starts to turn slightly off-shore!

These are concerns that have been brought to us in our recent collaborations with Sea Rescue and Water Police. Please respect this basic rule in the last hour of daylight and remember that if you get in trouble you may become someone else's problem, especially if it's during sunset, especially if you can't self-rescue.

Thanks,

Christian

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Summing up
Play safe
I wouldn't mind a lesson with Christian

zzzzz
WA, 57 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Private pilot -aircraft
30 years of windsurfing -- ocean
Learned to kite through schools
8 hrs coaching --good schools
Have had to self rescue at least 12 times in ocean in the early days
4years later
Reasonably confident now but realise that the only way is experience,experience,experience
Every time is different
Never overestimate you ability
When down
Think
Listen to good advice
Hope this helps

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said...
[br]At 6:40PM last night, a stranded kiter was in need of assistance after he inverted his kite 600m off-shore at Pinnaroo Point (Perth, WA). Wind was cross-shore and blowing around 25 knots. Lucky he's been spotted as it was getting dark and his black kite was barely noticeable so far from the shore at sunset. After waiting 10 minutes I noticed he wasn't self-rescuing so decided to kite back out to teach him how to do it on the spot.

In the past we used to take out the rescue boat but realized the same people needed to be rescued again as they still weren't competent at self-rescue, hence why we decided to take on a more pro-active approach teaching people to self-rescue ''live'' whenever possible.

After making sure he had a decent sail going, I got back to shore and waited around to make sure he got back to land safely. Shortly after he came back, the police came down as they've received a call and were looking for the kiter and were just about to deploy a sea rescue operation in the dark. I assured them the kiter was back on shore and they called off the search.

Unfortunately, such scenarios are becoming more frequent and it becomes clear that a vast majority of kiters we helped rescue over the years simply weren't competent at self-rescuing even if most of them actually had taken multiple lessons in known school organizations (including last night's kiter).

Kite Schools:

School operators and instructors are the ones responsible for how independent and safe each student is trained to become. We all know international teaching standards are, to some extent, left to individual interpretation and ultimately the instructor chooses what to teach and how to teach.

Talking to the many kiters we helped rescue over the years, we realized that some instructors didn't even teach self-rescue at all during their lessons and others simply gave a demonstration or assisted their students in the process without ultimately letting the student practice the self-rescue on their own in deep(er) waters.

Understandably, many schools operate in shallow waters where the instructor may not see the need in spending much time teaching the self-rescue. As instructors, we have to remember that all students will, sooner rather than later, end up in deep waters and odds are that they will all one day have to self-rescue.

Students can only be deemed competent at self-rescuing once you've seen them successfully complete at least one self-rescue without any assistance (verbal or physical) and without touching the bottom (if done in shallower waters). This exercise often has to be repeated for the student to become truly competent and feel independent.

If as instructors we continue to cut corners and put half efforts in teaching self-rescue, this will inevitably continue to produce poor results once the student is confronted with real life scenarios.

Kiters:

All kiters who venture out in deep waters must ensure they are truly competent at self-rescuing. Remember that just like any other kiter you can easily get in trouble and if you're not competent at self-rescuing you may be forcing other people to come help you and in some cases have a sea rescue operation deployed to come get you.

When getting lessons, you must ensure that you are asked to perform a self-rescue on your own and if necessary are asked to repeat the process until you feel competent and independent in doing so.

Avoid making the mistake of assuming you are competent at self-rescuing if you've never had a chance to practice it in a ''real life'' scenario without assistance. A self-rescue demonstration from your instructor on the beach or an assisted self-rescue practice in shallow waters simply isn't enough.

When choosing to go out kiting later in the day (One hour or less before sunset), please ensure you are staying within 200 meters to the shore. This way, if you get in trouble you will be able to reach the shore much quicker without raising the alarm. You will also be easier to see. Also remember that in Perth, before sunset, the wind sometimes starts to turn slightly off-shore!

These are concerns that have been brought to us in our recent collaborations with Sea Rescue and Water Police. Please respect this basic rule in the last hour of daylight and remember that if you get in trouble you may become someone else's problem, especially if it's during sunset, especially if you can't self-rescue.

Thanks,

Christian

Moral of the story, buy a north kite from us you'll stand out like dogs bollocks in the dark

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
28 Nov 2013 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said...
[br]At 6:40PM last night, a stranded kiter was in need of assistance after he inverted his kite 600m off-shore at Pinnaroo Point (Perth, WA). Wind was cross-shore and blowing around 25 knots. Lucky he's been spotted as it was getting dark and his black kite was barely noticeable so far from the shore at sunset.

And he got himself into trouble? Big surprise... I'd pick common sense over the ability to self rescue any day... Darwin theory in action....

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
28 Nov 2013 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BennyB12 said..

ActionSportsWA said...

At 6:40PM last night, a stranded kiter was in need of assistance after he inverted his kite 600m off-shore at Pinnaroo Point (Perth, WA). Wind was cross-shore and blowing around 25 knots. Lucky he's been spotted as it was getting dark and his black kite was barely noticeable so far from the shore at sunset.

And he got himself into trouble? Big surprise... I'd pick common sense over the ability to self rescue any day... Darwin theory in action....

It didn't sounds like he was in that much trouble - went through the drills, did what he was supposed to, got back on shore.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
28 Nov 2013 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Moral of the story, buy a north kite from us you'll stand out like dogs bollocks in the dark

There are only a handful of items that are visible from space. The great wall of china, the great barrier reef and North kites...

Plummet
4862 posts
28 Nov 2013 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Yes i can self rescue. haven't done one in leterally 3 years.

praticing doesn't hurt. Next time is a small wave day i'll pull the safety and practice a self rescue in the water.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
28 Nov 2013 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a kite school teaching self recovery etc.... In the field so to speak...

I would be interested to know how many new kiters who have had lessons in the last 2-3 years where actually taught and practiced a self recovery during their lessons

I'm sure some kite schools do but I bet most dont... Like to hear from student not schools.... In fact im going to mount my high horse and start a new topic

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
28 Nov 2013 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NoBS said..

harry potter said..

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a kite school teaching self recovery etc.... In the field so to speak...

I would be interested to know how many new kiters who have had lessons in the last 2-3 years where actually taught and practiced a self recovery during their lessons

I'm sure some kite schools do but I bet most dont... Like to hear from student not schools.... In fact im going to mount my high horse and start a new topic

Victorians are still BITTER!

You know they have changed the recipe

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
28 Nov 2013 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harry potter said..
I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a kite school teaching self recovery etc.... In the field so to speak...I would be interested to know how many new kiters who have had lessons in the last 2-3 years where actually taught and practiced a self recovery during their lessons

I did my lessons 4 years ago with AKS now Action sports, I was shown on the beach then made to perform a sail in self rescue (we wrapped the lines then also) This was in my second lesson before I was given any opportunity to try the board.

Since then I have water packed down twice and sailed in a couple of times also.
Lately though self rescues have been ditch and swim jobs in the waves!

This has been the teaching method from AKS for years and I guess why they run a professional school. you get what you pay for so pay that bit more, go to a proper school and not some kiting backpacker trying to extend their holiday!

CocosLocals
WA, 9 posts
28 Nov 2013 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys first time poster here.:) I agree that to some extent it is a must for the schools to teach how to self rescue at the end of the day people just starting out are trusting a school to teach them the bare minimum. My wife recently had lessons in shallow waters and she never even got explained self rescue. Later that day I took her back out and got her confident enough to do it alone.
I really wasn't impressed it should definatly be a must and for the guys getting stuck at night. Sometimes **** happens but they should atleast know there own abilities. If it happens to often we will end up wiith less metro beaches to kite.
:)

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
28 Nov 2013 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said..

After waiting 10 minutes I noticed he wasn't self-rescuing so decided to kite back out to teach him how to do it on the spot.

Christian

Did you send him a bill for the lesson? I hope so.

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
28 Nov 2013 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

I too have never seen a packdown taught by a school. I'm sure if there is one school that would teach it and properly it would be AKS.

Packdown practice takes time, makes the kite wet and can be a bitch to clean up....................therefore, at $160 per hour it is not done.........yea, maybe on shore with some words..........but nothing like the real thing.

Schools cater to the customer, and that person just wants to do it, who cares about what can go wrong once you are up and riding...........as they say, you get what you pay for.

I am teaching someone at the moment and recon it will take at least 20 hrs. before I've got them ready for the sport....I have a conscious...sort of.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
28 Nov 2013 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harry potter said..

Just a plug for KiteWest, the local guys here in Geraldton -- (Ben and Clement). I've watched them both training students at Pt. Moore for 9 months since I've been here and they do spend a _significant_ amount of lesson time on self-rescue training--as well as having students practice water relaunch.

I've also noticed that one of the first things they focus on when they put a kite in the air with a new student is to orient them to the use of the safety release.

Big accolades for these guys -- their training is first class.

(Disclaimer: I have no financial or otherwise association with KiteWest, other than having drank a few after-kiting beers with them...)

Nice to see this level of professionalism in the sport.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Stranded kiters: are you competent at self-rescue?" started by ActionSportsWA