Forums > Kitesurfing General

Strapless jumping in flat water

Created by AUS126 > 9 months ago, 18 May 2013
AUS126
NSW, 196 posts
18 May 2013 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

I want to learn how to jump strapless surfboard in flat water this winter. Not little chop hops but really edging board and sending kite back. I am struggling with timing of popping board out of water so I can grab it and sending of kite. Any suggestions (other than using straps) or video links would be appreciated. Thanks.

richierich
NSW, 226 posts
19 May 2013 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

if you 'send it back' you won't be able to keep the board on your feet. You can't press it into the wind cause you've lost the wind by moving the kite past 12. If you grab the board on the way up thats fine but you can't steer the kite back forward unless you do a Mitu and but the board between your legs to change hands. Other options is to catch it with your front hand and kiteloop it with back hand- make sure you have a strong board to land it. Watch this Mitu video or look up Keahi or Airton who are the masters of what is possible freestyle strapless.

Personally i would work on your 'chop hop' and bring the kite up a bit as you take off but keep kite same direction as you are going. hope this helps

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
19 May 2013 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

At 1:51 + - how??? strapless !!

Thx4post

Cheers
AP

richierich
NSW, 226 posts
19 May 2013 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

bit of older footage thrown in the mix when Mitu did a lot of strapped riding in the cross off wind. Hard to see but he is strapped in the 1:51 fall to recovery move. Its strapped until he picks up the board leaning against the tree at 2:18. 2:50 is what i was talking about with what you have to do if you "send the kite" looks silly, is fun to try...for a while

Eaglelad
VIC, 119 posts
20 May 2013 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

BWS have a "jeep kitesurfing instructional" vid, but it focuses on jumping off the lip

AUS126
NSW, 196 posts
20 May 2013 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for great take on it richierich. I'll try and man up and give the kite loop a go. Strapless aerials seem to be a slow learning curve.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Strapless jumping in flat water" started by AUS126