Forums > Kitesurfing General

Swan River Chilly

Created by wishy > 9 months ago, 20 May 2015
wishy
WA, 1501 posts
20 May 2015 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone else notice that the Swan River is ridiculously cold.
I haven't measured anything but I reckon it's 4-5 degrees colder than the Ocean down the road.
Does the tides push water out of the 100m deep section in Blackwall reach or something?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
20 May 2015 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

by 100m deep section you mean around 25 metres right ?

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
20 May 2015 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

The Swan river trust puts the depth at 25 metres, however it is a well known fact that Alan Bond hid 12 sealed metal cases of gold bullion at a spot where it close to 100m deep. 11 of them have been recovered to date. Do you really think people scuba dive there to see the interesting brown river fish?

It is also well known that when the road went right to the end of the track bogans from Willagee used to steal cars and jump out just before the cliffs.
The reason the cars were never recovered is because it's deeper than 25 metres.
They would then proceed to drink flaggons of rum with their friends from Armadale.

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
20 May 2015 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Can't scuba dive that deep for staters. Secondly every man and his dog has a fish finder and knows the depth.

alverstone
WA, 532 posts
20 May 2015 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

The Swan River cools down and heats up faster than the ocean because it's a) generally shallower, and b) a smaller body of water. Large bodies of water retain their heat, so with the recent drop on overnight temperatures, a bit of rain and that freshwater breaking up the surface temps, the river will cool down noticeably.
In spring, it heats up faster than the sea.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
20 May 2015 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

I regularly dive the river and that area, trust me it doesn't get much deeper that 25 at best. I regularly chase deep depths for fun ie 70+ but not in the river If it was the techies in Perth would be all over it but they all head to Collie as you can find some depth. As for hidden treasure, lol!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
20 May 2015 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said..
The Swan river trust puts the depth at 25 metres, however it is a well known fact that Alan Bond hid 12 sealed metal cases of gold bullion at a spot where it close to 100m deep. 11 of them have been recovered to date. Do you really think people scuba dive there to see the interesting brown river fish?

It is also well known that when the road went right to the end of the track bogans from Willagee used to steal cars and jump out just before the cliffs.
They would then proceed to drink flaggons of rum with their friends from Armadale.

lol yer right . I'll find a screenshot of my sounder . never gets deeper than 25

but yes it is chily

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
20 May 2015 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Oh and the reason its cold is because it runs all with way from Northam. Cold rain lands on cold ground and flows down. That's why in summer its warm, no rain.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
20 May 2015 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said..

"well known facts" on Seabreeze tend to be a bit overstated in my experience....
thanks for the laugh....

Emanjay
WA, 115 posts
20 May 2015 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said..

Best post on Seabreeze in months

genuine
332 posts
21 May 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

i used to go crabbing there a bit, 100m of rope +/- to get to the bottom

i wish it was only 25m

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
21 May 2015 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

You know swan river crab nets often came with 30m/100ft lines?

There are plenty of rumors of people finding isolated holes up to 26-30m around the Coombes but we've chased mulloway all around there in kayaks and never seen anything deeper than low 20's.

The bit about SOR bogans stealing and dumping cars and drinking goon with people from armadale is probably true though

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
21 May 2015 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Dived there for years nothing over 28 meters, some boats no cars.
Once on a night dive found a crab pot and heard the dingy coming to pull it. Held on to the pot as they tried to pull it up and then let go of it.
i am sure i heard a splash of the bloke going in, laughed so much nearly **** my wet suit and ran out of air.

Another time was talking to the ranger before a dive and a lady came walking along with a toy poodle.
he walked over there and asked her to put the dog on a lead as the signs said, she told him that he signs were there to stop the bogans and low lifes from willagee coming down there on to her forshore.
He gave here a $150 fine. i asked why, he said because i am from willagee.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Swan River Chilly" started by wishy