Forums > Kitesurfing General

The John Pirona Classic Downwinder

Created by ezza > 9 months ago, 25 Aug 2012
ezza
NSW, 561 posts
25 Aug 2012 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Lets get this happening before too much time has passed.

Following the KISS principle, I reckon we amass at, say Nobbys or Dickos and head south as far as we can. Maybe aim for landing at Blacksmiths. NEr needed obviously. Fundraising can concentrate on helping the Pirona family, and on raising an awareness around the whole story.

So c'mon!Who would be interested. We need names and numbers and any special skills (I.e you have a jet ski and would be willing to follow us) or (my friend works in publicity, she could get us media awareness).

I'm happy to coordinate and rally some corporate sponsors if I can.

Proposed date - 3/4 November?

Youngone
2 posts
4 Sep 2012 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ezza

John's sister here :) mate that is an unreal idea - I will help u organise this day in any way I can .. tho I am no kite boarder! I am sure my family would love to attend also. We are certainly interested in bringing attention to the story only as a means of bringing some sort of justice to certain individuals.

We are in awe of the comradery amongst your surfing and kitesurfing community :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to say a HUGE thankyou to everyone who looked for John when he was missing and for the very kind words you have all said about him in these forums. My family is incredibly grateful to you all for every little thing you did both known and unknown to us.

So, just say the word and I'll help out where I can:)

Cheers

MagicMike
WA, 210 posts
4 Sep 2012 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

It would be awesome to rally newcastle kitesurfers together, nobbys would be a perfect starting point. I have looked at that downwinder for a while, its a fair distance but fantastic views the entire way.
Keep me informed!

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
4 Sep 2012 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi youngone, yes I hadn't known John for long but his story really touched my heart. Ive been involved in other men's depression and suicide prevention initiatives in the past, maybe each rider could get ten of their friend to sponsor them for $10 and we can donate a wad of money to suicide prevention initiatives or the men's shed. I can russell up a sausage sizzle down this way or we could grab a beer at the Caves Hotel.
Ric Black is the expert in this one I think he has done it a number of times.
I'll let NSWKBA know and they will pay. For the sausage sizzle and maybe put it in their newsletter.
Cheers
Ezza

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
11 Sep 2012 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

HA expert
If we can get the media invloved I reckon we should all stand on the beach at Nobys lined up next to each other with our kites at 12 (kinda like half mast) this would create a united front of kiters and look good on the tele to raise awareness (that is what it's all about), then kick off the down winder ;)

Hey Youngone, nobody likes funerals but I gota say ur dad gave a great speech and I am sure John would have been proud and it gave us a great insight into the man that most of us here only seen when it was windy

Ric

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The John Pirona Classic Downwinder" started by ezza