Forums > Kitesurfing General

The Joys of traveling "Take 2"

Created by dafish > 9 months ago, 2 Jul 2015
dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
2 Jul 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

I have been traveling over four months now, nearly the half way point. I have met some amazing people along the way and had some seriously great adventures. For example, yesterday I wandered up a lane in Wales where I heard the house called Bron yr Ar was. This house is famous because Jimmy Paige and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin went there to write their next album, and during a dream one night Jimmy came up with the song "Stairway to Heaven", arguably one of the greatest rock anthems of all time. Being curious by nature I walked up several kilometers up a very small lane way and found the property, and then ventured up the road to the house knowing full well I was trespassing. But I really wanted to see the house that made the cover of the album and take a photo. Half way up a dude in a van came down from the house and I was busted! But I approached him with a smile and told him that I had traveled from afar. After a few minutes chatting he invited me to the house and I actually got to go inside...It was pretty incredible. This is what I love about travel....
England has given me a few good days to kite, but I was skunked in Ireland. We arrived in Wales and I had no expectations of getting any kiting in, but it so happens that the wind came up the day after we arrived to the Island of Anglesey and the woman we were renting the townhouse from told me about a place 10 minutes away called Rhosneigr. I went there and found an excellent place to kite, the locals were super friendly and the vibe terrific! Had two really fun though small surf days.
Today we head to France where the 4/3 wetsuit will be shed and warm waters of the south await. I will miss Wales, it has been more than I ever thought it would be, but looking forward to the next adventure.

.be

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
3 Jul 2015 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

Oh by the way, does anybody have any tips for the Atlantic side of the south of France? Have the Mediterranean side covered but not sure about the other side. Any tips would be good....cheers

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
3 Jul 2015 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Recently posted a thread about a surf trip to hossegor south west France in the short boards surfing forum - hope it's of use

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
3 Jul 2015 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

thanks, will go check it out!

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
3 Jul 2015 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Just checked it out....couple mention San Seb, will be there later for about 10 days, been keeping my eye on that place for a while. Lucky my wife doesn't mind that I appreciate all types of beauty....I just don't touch. Only her..and lucky for me she is gorgeous, even after 30 years together ;)

shi thouse
WA, 1141 posts
3 Jul 2015 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid...thanks for posting!

Love how you are fitting the travels in around your kiting. Best way of getting around without putting your passion of kiting on hold while sight-seeing.

Question..how many kites (and sizes) and boards have you taken with you on your travels and are you having any issues with getting the gear through airports...etc.

Keep up the updates.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
3 Jul 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

The gear hasn't been an issue, except I did have to leave a surf board behind in Cali. I have packed three kites, 7,10, are the new FLow3 surf kites, and also a 14.5 BRM C2 which packed down to nothing. It weighs about the same as my 7 mt. I have one one dedicated kite surfboard which is holding up really well. 4/3 wettie, helmet, towel, rashie , pump, all fit in a 6'4" board travel bag. Weighs in right at 23 kilos. Harness and everything else is in a suitcase. Been renting cars as we have been doing a lot of driving. Did nearly 5000 ks in England, Ireland and Wales, and much more when we were in the US. Have a van rented for three months of Europe. Airports have been pretty easy but you know how it is with over sized baggage, always last off the plane. My board bag went missing for two days when I arrived in London, but it showed up and they delivered to our place a few days later without any issues.
I plan to pick up a surfboard in France and then get rid of it just before we leave. I don't expect epic surf as it is summer months, but I will be happy even paddling out in 3 foot if conditions are right. I am more focused on getting kiting in rather than surfing, but if both happen its a bonus.
This is a big trip, I think 4 months is a better amount of time to be away. I miss our home sometimes, but we live in such a great place it's easy to feel that way. In saying that though, I am digging this adventure.
Cheers

Jonopark
WA, 400 posts
3 Jul 2015 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Up in exy listening to the remastered cd as we speak. Enjoy!!

Driesdtl
37 posts
4 Jul 2015 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome! Good to hear of the travels - wouldn't mind lining up something similar:)

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Jul 2015 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Spent a few years along the south coast , it was my first introduction to kiting at st Raphael , check the rules to where your allowed as when I returned a few years later it'd become more heavily policed, www.activeazur.com was a great site with really detailed descriptions on the permitted spots, the are plenty though from frejus to marseille, when you have a windless day take the wife to the parc verdon, drive through clavier, bargemon, and up into the gorges du verdon, absolutely stunning part of the world , lac st croix at the end of the gorge is a beautiful spot to chill with the mountains as a backdrop, just a warning on the traffic at that time of year, most of France and plenty of other nationalities converge on the cote d azur, st tropez will be on your list, much easier to jump on the boat from say st maxime , also Monaco / Monte Carlo is best by train, same as Cannes ,nice, for me the south coast is great but the back country was the best thing about the south of France,

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
5 Jul 2015 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips Cauncy! We flew into Toulouse and drove straight to Carcassone and were thoroughly blown away. It is one of the few places I have ever been where I feel like I am back in time. Unesco world heritage walled city castle that still has a functioning village inside. We arrived in the late afternoon when all the tourist buses were gone and had it with just a few people. Stunning.....
Now in Le Bacares for a few days, can kite on the beach a short walk from where we are staying. Looks okay, nothing sensational, but with so many things to see around here it doesn't matter too much. I have loads of time next week to explore some of those places you mentioned. Looking forward to the gorge. We have a car for the three months so I will be le chauffer!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The Joys of traveling "Take 2"" started by dafish