Forums > Kitesurfing General

The surprise kite

Created by Coral Sea > 9 months ago, 16 Mar 2009
Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
16 Mar 2009 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

So we have this guy Glenno who is a local at our Magnetic Island kite spot.

Naturally gifted athlete, but a bit of a wild man. And totally strapped for cash.

He's been riding for about 2 years on a slingy fuel 11m 2003 and a cabrinha access 12m from 2002. Both of them with more patches than an old pair of jeans, prone to deflating without notice, and of course terrible relaunch and safety systems. Bought both kites and an old stonker 154 board for $150 from some guy in Melbourne. Never had a lesson in his life. Learnt to jump and kiteloop by sending it on the beach and getting dragged up through the beachside vegetation (all while laughing his head off), Used to regularly just ride the stonker straight up onto the beach at high speed, flip onto his guts and then regain his feet just before the kite hit the trees.

His riding has improved a lot, despite the gear. Jumps, kiteloops, rolls.....he's getting them all pretty regularly now.

One of those guys.....I'm sure many of you know them!

Here he is with my son and his 2002 Cab.

Anyway, we ride a lot in 14-18kn winds and he is always underpowered, and if his kite hits the water (which it does a bit, cos he goes for it) then he often just drifts back into the beach.

We are always telling him to upgrade his gear, and his reply is always "can't - too broke"

So, me and another local decided to surprise him and buy him a secondhand kite. Chris was in on the secret and did us a great deal on a 2007 12m rebel, which just arrived today. So we are about to take it to the beach and pump it up now, and then call Glenno down on some pretext.

Gonna take the camera and get some pics of his face!

will keep you updated......

Andy

EB
SA, 492 posts
16 Mar 2009 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

neoniphon said...

So we have this guy Glenno who is a local at our Magnetic Island kite spot.

Naturally gifted athlete, but a bit of a wild man. And totally strapped for cash.

He's been riding for about 2 years on a slingy fuel 11m 2003 and a cabrinha access 12m from 2002. Both of them with more patches than an old pair of jeans, prone to deflating without notice, and of course terrible relaunch and safety systems. Bought both kites and an old stonker 154 board for $150 from some guy in Melbourne. Never had a lesson in his life. Learnt to jump and kiteloop by sending it on the beach and getting dragged up through the beachside vegetation (all while laughing his head off), Used to regularly just ride the stonker straight up onto the beach at high speed, flip onto his guts and then regain his feet just before the kite hit the trees.

His riding has improved a lot, despite the gear. Jumps, kiteloops, rolls.....he's getting them all pretty regularly now.

One of those guys.....I'm sure many of you know them!

Here he is with my son and his 2002 Cab.

Anyway, we ride a lot in 14-18kn winds and he is always underpowered, and if his kite hits the water (which it does a bit, cos he goes for it) then he often just drifts back into the beach.

We are always telling him to upgrade his grear, and his reply is always "can't - too broke"

So, me and another local decided to surprise him and buy him a secondhand kite. Chris was in on the secret and did us a great deal on a 2007 12m rebel, which just arrived today. So we are about to take it to the beach and pump it up now, and then call Glenno down on some pretext.

Gonna take the camera and get some pics of his face!

will keep you updated......

Andy

Good on you.Nice one.

Shane71
QLD, 50 posts
16 Mar 2009 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

You guys have just renewed my faith in people. I wish I was there to see the look on his face. Cheers, and my hat is off to you guys for looking after a fellow kiter.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
16 Mar 2009 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Andy,

I had always picked you as an all round nice guy, now you have confirmed it!
Good on ya!
Trust the new kite will bring joy and good karma to all involved.

Might even be able to get over to maggie for a kite myself one of these days. Hopefully will see you guys on the water.

If your mate is so keen on riding old stonker gear, I could be convinced to bring the stonker 195 directional over for a retro session
(might leave the old RRD Conv kites home tho)

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
16 Mar 2009 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Ha, that was a classic afternoon.

we were texting him all day, winding him up "get straight down the kite spot mate, there's something serious we need you for"!

To cap it off, the fire engine rocks up for some hose practice just before Glenn arrives. He was thinking I had my kite high up a tree or in a powerline!

Here are the boys hiding kite as the ferry comes in with Glenn on board

Glenn arrives at the spot - "what the f*** is going on!!"

We gave him the North pump and said that was his early birthday present, as he is always pinching our pumps (kite was hidden on the beach).

Then led him to beach and said "oh by the way, this came with the pump"!

Glenno speechless after seeing his new kite!

Glenn rigging

The rebel in the air. He was hooting the whole time!

Now just need wind! Wednesday onwards looking good.

Priceless, the look on his face. We said "any time we need kites pumped up for the next 2 years, you're the bitch Glenno".

EB
SA, 492 posts
16 Mar 2009 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Skid said...

Andy,

I had always picked you as an all round nice guy, now you have confirmed it!
Good on ya!
Trust the new kite will bring joy and good karma to all involved.

Might even be able to get over to maggie for a kite myself one of these days. Hopefully will see you guys on the water.

If your mate is so keen on riding old stonker gear, I could be convinced to bring the stonker 195 directional over for a retro session
(might leave the old RRD Conv kites home tho)

Good to see your back Skid must give you a call soon, life has been caotic as you can appreciate still have your no. Good to see you know the good Samaritans.
Ps.The Rebel Rules.Not too sure about the stonker but what ever rocks your boat.
Cheers EB.

taupey1
NSW, 20 posts
16 Mar 2009 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

I had a grin from ear to ear reading this. What a great thing to do for one of your mates. Really great. Hope the the wind appears soon.

Chris

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
16 Mar 2009 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hahahaha! thats awesome guys, great thing to do!
If i have anything i can give to people i usually try and help them out, even my old skate wheels/decks/bearings make the skate rats at the skate park super stoked when you hand it over to them, they usually have the most beat up crap.
keep up the stoke.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
16 Mar 2009 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant
What a fantastic idea and thread
Should be more of it

I hope all involved will be rewarded with buckets of good karma

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
16 Mar 2009 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

thats the best thing of heard for ages

Jacques
NSW, 159 posts
17 Mar 2009 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

That is a really nice story to read... good on you guys!
(you also put a big smile on my face too!)

Manny
WA, 89 posts
17 Mar 2009 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Well done guys. It`s nice to see that there are still good people about.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
17 Mar 2009 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

The forecast is looking promising
Perhaps this is karma at work already

Tropical Waters, Cardwell to Bowen:
Wednesday: SE winds 15/20 knots increasing to 20/25 knots overnight. Lighter winds inshore early. Inshore afternoon NE sea breezes 15/20 knots. Seas from 1.7 to 2.2 metres in open waters. Isolated showers.
Thursday: SE winds 20/30 knots.
Friday: SE winds 20/30 knots.

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
17 Mar 2009 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

all right, kite-karma is all it takes to get 20-30knots!

(if it were so easy we'd have kiters helping little old ladies across the road all over the country..........)

I just have to get the 8m SB3 back off my 12yo son. Little bugger took it out for the first time in 13-16knots last weekend, and came back in claiming it as his new sub-20 knot kite!

"Its just so much more smooth and powerful than my sb2 6m Dad"!

where does he get this stuff from??

Anyway, some wind would be nice, without too much more rain. Our poor reef has already been flogged....not so good for the reef ecotours. Check this out for example:

BEFORE

THIS WEEK

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The surprise kite" started by Coral Sea