Forums > Kitesurfing General

Travelling with Kites - fold or vacuum seal??

Created by Juddy > 9 months ago, 18 Apr 2013
Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
18 Apr 2013 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Heading overseas next week with a number of kites & boards in two Dakine Club Wagon bags (for two of us).

Would appreciate advice from those who've travelled with kites - which is better - to very (gently) fold/roll kites and use them as padding/cushioning, or to use vacuum/compresssion bags?

thanks for advice

Juddy

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
18 Apr 2013 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

i travel with surfboards so i strip my wax, remove fins and use them as padding.
be sure to take one kite bag for daily use though.
enjoy your trip!

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
18 Apr 2013 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

You use you fins as padding?.....interesting....

KiteBilly
VIC, 90 posts
18 Apr 2013 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

I've rolled up a kite really tight, strapped it up and put in a back pack as carry on. Ive done this a couple of times no probs.

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
18 Apr 2013 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Juddy

What is your limitation. Vacuum bag adds weight and saves space.
I prefer to avoid adding more weight so I fold and pack kites only in the top compartment of my tavel bag and board, fins, pump, harness etc. in bottom padded compartment. (Or divide 2 halves with towel between)

I'll arrive after you leave and before Nic and Tim arrive. Would appreciate a wind report.

Enjoy your epic trip

KSSALTONA
VIC, 207 posts
18 Apr 2013 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

dont vacum, it can damage the valves and cause problems with rubbing on ripstop

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
18 Apr 2013 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Do not vacuum, put them in strong pillow cases and these will act as a carry bag and storage on holiday. make sure all valves are open.

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
18 Apr 2013 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Ive only travelled once by air (so limited experience!!) with my kites and board and used an ozone bag without wheels to save 'dead' weight.

I like the 'fold carefully' approach but also deflate/pump all of the air out of the kite to remove all air. I agree with ^^^^ the vacuum bag approach just adds weight.

The only other tip (for others planning an OS trip) is to carefully consider your all up baggage weight and if it is going to exceed your allowance - prepay you excess when you book - its about half of the price that you will be slugged when you turn up at the airport - ouch!!

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
18 Apr 2013 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Rob, when do you arrive?

I'm in Jakarta 16th -19th June, Banda Aceh 19th June to 4th July (Frothing).

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
19 Apr 2013 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

Juddy said...

Heading overseas next week with a number of kites & boards in two Dakine Club Wagon bags (for two of us).

Would appreciate advice from those who've travelled with kites - which is better - to very (gently) fold/roll kites and use them as padding/cushioning, or to use vacuum/compresssion bags?

thanks for advice

Juddy

pack small put them in plastic garbage bag then use packing tape to wrap it up even tighter everything else dismantle and pack neat. Oh and P.S. get airlines weight limit and weigh them before you get to airport checkin.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
19 Apr 2013 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

I fly often. Make sure you have well protected valve clips on your 1 pump before using these, and a protected inflation screw/cap with flap closed (aka ozone). I've never had damage to kites from them. They are dry bags/compression bags from a camping/disposal shop. Made from ultra thin nylon (similar to a kite canopy) with a roll top and 1 way valve, and plastic view window. You just squeeze air out after rolling top. They weigh nothing, less than a pillow slip. You have the benefit of having a dry bag with you for any adventuring. I was using them as my everyday kite bag. I think the brand was black wolf. You need the large one. As surfingboye said; take your backpack normal kitebag, for those 'fun trips on the motorbike'. Pack a small repair kit, in case you end up anywhere without assisted launch, as that indo coral is nasty.
found a link
www.blackwolf.com.au/expert-advice-product-bag/

pomE
NSW, 164 posts
19 Apr 2013 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Why exactly do ppl take the kites out of their original compression bags? Surely the compression straps allow the kites to be compressed pretty well for stowage in the quiver bag?

I'm asking as I've never travelled with kites n boards in this type of luggage carrier...

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
19 Apr 2013 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

pomE said...
Why exactly do ppl take the kites out of their original compression bags? Surely the compression straps allow the kites to be compressed pretty well for stowage in the quiver bag?

I'm asking as I've never travelled with kites n boards in this type of luggage carrier...

Depends how you pack, and how many kites, and twintips or surfboards. If you pack same as surfingboy has mentioned, no need, or if you just have a twin tip bag with plenty of space. I prefer to keep my board bags as light as possible with only boards, and kites go in separate check in bag, or compressed as part of carry on. Space is precious. kites pack to 1/2 a normal kite bag. I can travel comfortably with 2 or 3 kites plus all wet gear, pump, and clothes and 2 surfboards, as I don't use heavy boards. I have taken a third board but it tips you over some small planes weight limits, plus is a pain to carry. Wouldn't consider it unless you were going on a boat trip. What ever gets you there, without excess baggage, and doesn't dislocate your shoulder!

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
19 Apr 2013 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Juddy said...
Rob, when do you arrive?

Got that arse about. We will be there before you.
Banda Aceh....... Arrive May 27 Depart June 13

birdie919
WA, 82 posts
19 Apr 2013 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Going 5th august would appreciate all the info you could pass on

Wisha
SA, 255 posts
19 Apr 2013 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Quite often you are allowed to take a suit bag as well as a carry on bag. Suit bag = kite bag!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
19 Apr 2013 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

With 2 x Clubwagons you could get all your kites all your boards and me onboard!

Lots of teuros I know use the vac bags, others use the sit on & tape method.
Either way you will pack down kites to about 1/3 of normal good pack down size.
Just be careful when folding to make sure valves are not bent over.

foosdepilly
28 posts
19 Apr 2013 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Rob S said...
Juddy said...
Rob, when do you arrive?

Hey Rob are you going to the kite camp, i will be there from the 29th may til the 5th june..... if so see you there
cheers

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
19 Apr 2013 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

foosdepilly said...
Rob S said...
Juddy said...
Rob, when do you arrive?

Hey Rob are you going to the kite camp, i will be there from the 29th may til the 5th june..... if so see you there
cheers

That's the spot. See you there.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
19 Apr 2013 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Rob S said...
Juddy said...
Rob, when do you arrive?

well it'll be your responsibility to report back here then please.... ;-)

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
19 Apr 2013 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Rob S said...
Juddy said...
Rob, when do you arrive?

of course you will be.
The best travelled kiter I know

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
19 Apr 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Wisha said...
Suit bag = kite bag!

Oh that's genius - I like the way you think...

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
19 Apr 2013 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

vac bags are great , i used mine in indo to get my kites over, then used them to put a few clothes in to put in my kite bag, and did a huge downwinder to a great little bar and restaurant, got my dry clothes out of the bag kicked back had a few beers and a meal, sweet

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
21 Apr 2013 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

TurtleHunter said...
Rob S said...
Juddy said...
Rob, when do you arrive?

of course you will be.
The best travelled kiter I know

Scott
May the Coral Coast have it's usual warm water and magnificent Spring winds again this year. Booked Osprey Bay from Oct 4

Juddy
Noted, wind report required.

coldshot
WA, 218 posts
21 Apr 2013 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

vacuum a coupla kites and put them in as ur carry on luggage, just wondering how many u could fit into ur carry on bag 2~3 ?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Travelling with Kites - fold or vacuum seal??" started by Juddy