Forums > Kitesurfing General

Twitter feed - NSW Kitesurf today

Created by NeTRaVeR > 9 months ago, 9 Jul 2013
NeTRaVeR
NSW, 61 posts
9 Jul 2013 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

I figured this was worth a shot but need everyone's assistance to get this working...

I have started a twitter feed called @kitesurftoday (NSW Kitesurf today). NSW Kitesurf today is basically a peer to peer based real time information feed which relies on followers input. This allows everyone that is kiting on a specific day to provide feedback via twitter on their mobile phones on their location, conditions, wind speed & direction, number of kiters at the location and any other information they see fit to assist other users / followers with finding a location to kite on a particular day.

This has the potential to work, especially over the Winter months when you can't rely on the wind forecast as these westerly winds that we are experiencing tend to change more often than we would like them to.

You would need to have a twitter account and follow @kitesurftoday. Once linked, we follow you... You post the update on twitter @kitesurftoday and we share it with other followers.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
9 Jul 2013 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yer, no , yer ahh no yer , this is what's needed , 37 kites to dodge and shake my head at
Rather than the usual dozen

Had an example of this recently where a kiter advertised a certain location via social media
"was ok in "said" wind direction" (not for the inexperienced or faint hearted , imo ) and next thing
there's 6 + kooks f#@$&ng it up for all and a kite destroyed over the Rocky islands because of
misinformation by people who over assess there own ability or just plain have nofurgenidea !

Sure share the after session drinks location , but really ???

P.S. that's just my thoughts you can guess where my suggestion is going

PP. SS doesn't let you use curse words even if you hide it in other words and
change the letters around

NeTRaVeR
NSW, 61 posts
9 Jul 2013 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

I see your point of view!

The idea is not to mass swamp any particular location and one would generally hope that some common sense is used especially when inexperience comes into play.

I have found an app though that does it all for the community and so twitter has been put on the back burner for now.

Check out my next post for details

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
10 Jul 2013 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

Ugh that's the whole fun and challenge of this sport.. Finding your own secret spots or sharing with awesome mates then sharing the 'stoke'. It's also vital that everyone learns how and why certain wind directions work in different locations - not just rely on others saying "yeah it's awesome today, go there". I certainly wouldn't be boasting when I'm going to secret or secluded spots when there cranking to twitter or the like so heaps if people can rock up and ruin it for me. Cheers

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
10 Jul 2013 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

So many mobile apps for weather .. this app is pretty good for live wind reports, but I'm biased.

Free:
apps.apple.com/au/app/seabreeze-free/id571581320

Advert Free:
itunes.apple.com/au/app/seabreeze/id510545941

Independent
NSW, 56 posts
10 Jul 2013 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

laurie said..

So many mobile apps for weather .. this app is pretty good for live wind reports, but I'm biased.

Free:

Advert Free:

^ ^ ^ great app, if you have i...... whatever, any guess how long before android app will be in the play store?

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
11 Jul 2013 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Independent said..

^ ^ ^ great app, if you have i...... whatever, any guess how long before android app will be in the play store?

There's just not enough hours in the day... ... chipping away at it ... can't be too far off, just got an iPhone update completed (in the hands of testers right now), which will free time up for android.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
11 Jul 2013 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

its all about android now laurie. Android phones now outsell iphones by more than 2-1

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
11 Jul 2013 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

laurie said..

Free:

Advert Free:

Not enough green arrows on this site , east coast anyways

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Twitter feed - NSW Kitesurf today" started by NeTRaVeR