Forums > Kitesurfing General

Unhooked Jumping

Created by tmiddled > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2009
tmiddled
NSW, 253 posts
27 Nov 2009 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

I did a search buy nothing addressed my specific problem.

So I have been starting to unhook lately, and I'm having diffculties doing controlled jumps. My process is: veer slightly downwind, unhook, get an edge, go upwind, do a little pop, land, veer downwind, hook back in using one hand on the chicken loop to guide it back onto the harness.

Now all these steps seem to be fine except the "little pop". I can't go high at all. Maximum hight I can achieve is less than a meter. I don't even go that far downwind. It's more of a tiny hop than a jump.

Now I suspect it has something to do with my board speed, loading of the lines, kite position etc. But, does anyone who has had a similar problem have a way of getting around it?

Regards,
Tom

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
27 Nov 2009 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

tmiddled said...

Hi all,

I did a search buy nothing addressed my specific problem.

So I have been starting to unhook lately, and I'm having diffculties doing controlled jumps. My process is: veer slightly downwind, unhook, get an edge, go upwind, do a little pop, land, veer downwind, hook back in using one hand on the chicken loop to guide it back onto the harness.

Now all these steps seem to be fine except the "little pop". I can't go high at all. Maximum hight I can achieve is less than a meter. I don't even go that far downwind. It's more of a tiny hop than a jump.

Now I suspect it has something to do with my board speed, loading of the lines, kite position etc. But, does anyone who has had a similar problem have a way of getting around it?

Regards,
Tom

You have answered your own question...... more speed, more edge and more line load and you will go higher.

matto
VIC, 210 posts
27 Nov 2009 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

IKSurfmag have a whole section devoted to unhooked jumping.

www.iksurfmag.com/technique/?q=Unhooked%20Jump

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Unhooked Jumping" started by tmiddled