Forums > Kitesurfing General

Unmaned Kites and Water Police

Created by IanR > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2009
IanR
NSW, 1262 posts
21 Oct 2009 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday while riding at dolls my de power line snapped in the middle of channel. My Fifth line also snapped. Fortunately for me within about five minutes the water police came past and collected the kite and me.
The Policemen on the boat were really nice and only to happy to help out
The main thing they Spoke to me about or wanted to get through to me was than could we as a group contact them as soon as the rider is safe If a Kite is separated from the rider. Apparently They get calls from the general public about unmanned kites by the time they get there every thing is sorted but they do not know the condition of the rider and weather to search for them.

So I think that If any of us have a kite that blows aways our first coarse of action should be to ring the water police as soon as we can and let them know the rider is safe.

fver
WA, 453 posts
21 Oct 2009 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hello,

For Perth:

Water Police
Harvest Road, North Fremantle
Tel: (08) 9442 8600

Water Police Coordination Centre
Tel: (08) 9442 8606

I have their number in my mobile in case of emergency while ksf.

Fred

kitebored
NSW, 561 posts
21 Oct 2009 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear they're looking out for us. With skiff racing if we have to rescue a crew and leave the boat to go rescue others, we tie a red strop to the tip of the mast. Bit hard with a kite but this allows eveyone to know there isn't anyone trapped etc..

pds
WA, 28 posts
21 Oct 2009 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

write your name and mobile number on your kite too - means you might even get it back but more importantly provides vital information for emergency services to decide whether or not to start looking for you and who they are looking for....

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
22 Oct 2009 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Bad luck Ian

Botany Bay Water Police - 856 67566

Coastal patrol - 956 77113

Put 'em in your phone

22 Oct 2009 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

KIT33R said...

Bad luck Ian

Botany Bay Water Police - 856 67566

Coastal patrol - 956 77113

Put 'em in your phone

Good idea and advice Graham and Ian. I had to go to a wedding yesterday, otherwise I may have been there with the boat, I think you owe me a box of beer anyway because you know I would have rescued you!

There are stickers on the front counter in the shop with the Coast Guard and emergency numbers on them, everyone should get one and stick it on their car/board/numbers in phone, whatever.

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
22 Oct 2009 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

kitebored said...

Good to hear they're looking out for us. With skiff racing if we have to rescue a crew and leave the boat to go rescue others, we tie a red strop to the tip of the mast. Bit hard with a kite but this allows eveyone to know there isn't anyone trapped etc..

That's a pretty good idea I've been trapped under a boat once by my trap hook - not a fun experience.

Good to hear you got your kite back Ian, guess it's time to replace the CL and 5th lines, good reminder to everyone with the up coming season to check your lines carefully - That includes new bars and lines straight out of the shop as well!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Unmaned Kites and Water Police" started by IanR