Forums > Kitesurfing General

Unusual Seal Activity - Brighton Beach Perth

Created by Ioz > 9 months ago, 6 Sep 2011
Ioz
WA, 491 posts
6 Sep 2011 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

I posted this in the surfing forum but realise this could be of interest here as well

I have also posted a surfers first reply below it ;

I was down at Brighton Beach yesterday afternoon and there was one very tired looking seal about 20 feet from the water line.

He could hardly look around to see us walk past the back of him, and stayed in the same position for 2 - 3hrs that i was there.

We discussed the different causes and then came along a experianced diver who backed up our theory.

It was suspected that this seal had been chased to exhaustion by a predator. They literally swim for the lives for such a distance when they are lucky enoough to make it out of the water they are so exhausted and have no immediate interest in going back in the water.

Or the seal could of been sick ?

Doggies Reply

A few years a go at Brighton a mate Dan was surfing with two others when a seal came in very fast and went straight up the beach, following was a 2-3m tiger shark.

It circled them for 5mins then swam away. I think they were very lucky it didnt have a go at them as it must of been hungry.

I have heard of seals hanging there before and it seams weired that they would go there?

toddws
WA, 468 posts
6 Sep 2011 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

was wondering the same thing when 3 of us finished our downwinder from Leighton and saw him on the beach yesterday.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Sep 2011 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hey,

When I was in Hawaii, you could always tell when a Tiger shark was on the prowl as all the Turtles would beach themselves despite the heavy human presence on the beach.

Mind the nibblies in the water at the moment peeps!

DM

tightlines
WA, 3480 posts
6 Sep 2011 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Funny you should mention turtles Darren, I saw two a few days back about 100mtrs off Mullaloo Beach, not often you see them around there.

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
6 Sep 2011 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Funny you should mention turtles Darren, I saw two a few days back about 100mtrs off Mullaloo Beach, not often you see them around there.

Were they swimming flat out towards the shore TL?

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
6 Sep 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Makes sense to me ... Ahhhhhhhhh

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Unusual Seal Activity - Brighton Beach Perth" started by Ioz