Forums > Kitesurfing General

Update - 2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Race

Created by WAKSA > 9 months ago, 1 Dec 2011
WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
1 Dec 2011 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Given the forecast winds for this weekend, no one will be surprised to hear that the decision has been made to postpone the 2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Kite Surf Race.

In consultation with the key stakeholders, sponsors and weather experts the race has been postponed until Sunday 18th December, the first available time that the waters between Rottnest Island and Leighton Beach is available (after the ISAF Perth 2011 Sailing World Championships), subject to approvals, which will now be sought.

Without a doubt this decision is disappointing for the event organisers and no doubt the competitors also, especially given the increased, international flavour the race has attracted this year. However, competitor safety and the smooth and professional running of this iconic Australian kite race is paramount to its success and longevity on the racing calendar.

NB: No activities are planned for Leighton Beach this Saturday and no activities are planned for the Cottesloe Beach Hotel on Saturday night.

As of now organisers are seeking the necessary approvals to reschedule the race for Sunday 18th December 2011. Organisers will be in contact with registered participants to confirm the proposed new date asap.

Thanks to all the WAKSA members (and others) who volunteered to help out this iconic event. We will be in contact again to discuss your availability for Sunday 18th...

Stay tuned for more news over the next couple of weeks....

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
1 Dec 2011 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

C'est la vie.

WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
1 Dec 2011 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

bump

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
1 Dec 2011 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Best possible outcome when we are just at mercy to the weather. I didnt get a spot but for those guys who did, be patient. The WAKSA guys now have to do even more work to keep up the stoke. The other outcome was a $150 trip to rotto, one way!!! as I dont think the ferrries are gonna give WAKSA their money back either.
GO JUDDY!

BUMP. BUMP

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
9 Dec 2011 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Anybody else from the east still making the trip accross again?

kiter2007
WA, 102 posts
9 Dec 2011 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

i know its a week away but the weather still hasnt settled down over here... a real mess!

wal269
WA, 718 posts
9 Dec 2011 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Forecast looks terrible. Shame the weather hasn't come to play.

Euro's will stop coming to WA, because it's not windy here anymore.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
9 Dec 2011 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

wdric said...

Hey Ric why don't you just send your board across and if the race is on I will use it for you and take some footage with the go pro, so you can watch it and at least feel like you have done it......no really it's no problem

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
9 Dec 2011 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
.^^
..^

You must be bored, board, bored, how come ur not out kiting?

O thats right there is no wind wind wind

Slack
WA, 685 posts
9 Dec 2011 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

wdric said...

Hey Ric why don't you just send your board across and if the race is on I will use it for you and take some footage with the go pro, so you can watch it and at least feel like you have done it......no really it's no problem

TL is there anyone you haven't asked?

eneour
WA, 104 posts
11 Dec 2011 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Wind forecast is shaping up to be good for the 18th of December

will the race happen...?

flying to perth any way on the 14th :0) for a couple of weeks :0)

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
11 Dec 2011 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty sure it's just about all organised, just need wind and we should have a start.

Not sure what date they will make the final call though, would be nice to know?

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
11 Dec 2011 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty hard call for them to make until one/two days before just due to the conditions at the mo
Doesnt look bad, but a week is long time, hey if not we can all get pissed at the cott anyway

lowkite
WA, 61 posts
12 Dec 2011 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Could WAKSA confirm that the race will take place this sunday?So we can get organised;
cheers guys

iti
QLD, 417 posts
12 Dec 2011 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

lowkite said...

Could WAKSA confirm that the race will take place this sunday?So we can get organised;
cheers guys

the race is on the 18th sunday , we just have to wait and see whats happens with wind , id say we will know by thursday late afternoon again

Slack
WA, 685 posts
12 Dec 2011 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

iti said...

lowkite said...

cheers guys

the race is on the 18th sunday , we just have to wait and see whats happens with wind , id say we will know by thursday late afternoon again

From an email from Yellow Jersey Strategies:

"Alternate Date – Sunday 18th December 2011, subject to approvals."

pinkee
WA, 27 posts
12 Dec 2011 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

and the preliminary forecast... not lookin too crash hot.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
12 Dec 2011 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

The forecast changes every time I look at it but I still think it is shaping up to be a better looking pattern than it was a week out from the original race date.

Time will tell.

picker
VIC, 431 posts
13 Dec 2011 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone want to BUY my place as i wont be able to make it back from Melbourne for the Re-run. PM Me.

Cheers Drew

Fooosh
WA, 563 posts
13 Dec 2011 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Nothing on the WAKSA site. Is this defo going ahead on 18 Dec? Details anyone? Ta.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
13 Dec 2011 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon get your boards out, waxed up and race gear sorted for Sunday - IMO opinion looking 99.99% for 15 to 20 knots classic S to SW seabreeze - with outlook on day looking like 27 degrees , no cloud and the start of the S to SW pattern no reasons for seabreeze to stay away .....

The charts on windguru Perth & Rottnest looking good as well as seabreeze.com.au

ianmac
WA, 267 posts
13 Dec 2011 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

i think Jonno is on the money for Sunday, we will be on, although, it may not be a blistering wind we will still make good time
hey tighty did you get a board yet ?

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
13 Dec 2011 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhhh charts changing again for Sunday- but wind guru still looking good

dalestanton
WA, 272 posts
13 Dec 2011 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

hmm I was hoping for a blistering day. none the less, 15knots is all we need to have the best fun. lets hope the charts are wrong.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Update - 2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Race" started by WAKSA