Forums > Kitesurfing General

Vietnam in February

Created by psychojoe > 9 months ago, 22 Dec 2014
psychojoe
WA, 2107 posts
22 Dec 2014 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

hey guys,
we're headed to Nha Tran in February (first time), from what I've searched it looks like Mui Ne is the kite mecca of Vietnam, but it also sounds like it's overrun with Russians and beginners.

Does anyone know of some better spots in the area?
Any other travel tips would also be greatly appreciated
thanks!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Contact kitesurfnam , they've been doing kite gigs for a long while,

RosieKB
VIC, 240 posts
22 Dec 2014 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

We went to both a few years ago in June.

Nah Trang had no wind and Mui Ne pretty much had seabreeze every day from lunch until late afternoon

June is also their "winter" or off season - no idea what Feb is like

Nah Trang is awesome for food etc but unfortunately for kiting it is protected by a small offshore island so there is not wind on the main stretch of beach.. You may be able to venture further down the coast for options?

S

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
22 Dec 2014 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

February is prime time for wind in Vietnam

Lots of Russians and beginners

But maybe not so many Russia,s this year because of their currency collaspe

Better off kiting at Malibu north of Mui Ne

Nha Trang can get wind from time to time

but Fang Rang south of Nha Trang has much better wind

But is bit of a hike on the motor bike each day

Can stay at Fang Rang ,is cheap

But the good kiting spots are 45 mins ride on the motor bike

Can kite out the front of Fang Rang City beach ,is ok

Vietnam a great country ,you will enjoy it

psychojoe
WA, 2107 posts
22 Dec 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

thanks everyone,
Phan Rang sounds like the place to be GOKID, just to clarify
did you mean you need to travel 45mins from Phan rang to find good kitesurfing because an article I found suggests the wind is great right there in the bay

thanks again

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
22 Dec 2014 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

The wind in the bay out the front of Phan Rang City is good

but its just a bay,no swell or waves just choppy bumpy ocean

pretty boring,if there is a big swell might get some shore dump action

Its 45 mins north on a bike, is the good flatwater spot with waves

or 40 mins south is another spot

But you probably wont find any other kiters there

Rooms for $6 a night and plenty of places to eat

JohnnyRoberts
NSW, 3 posts
1 Feb 2015 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
psychojoe said..
hey guys,
we're headed to Nha Tran in February (first time), from what I've searched it looks like Mui Ne is the kite mecca of Vietnam, but it also sounds like it's overrun with Russians and beginners.

Does anyone know of some better spots in the area?
Any other travel tips would also be greatly appreciated
thanks!

Just got back from 9 epic days of kiting 20 to 25knts every day perfect flat water inside up to double head waves outside reef. Wind is side to cross onshore. The spot is just north of Phan rang in a national park, about an hours drive south of Na trang. There is reasonable accommodation in the national park 15mins drive to all the good spots. Look up Tony or Alex from bombora surf company in mui ne, he looked after us with transfers. guide. gear hire. bws. best and firewire boards. Mui ne still good but choppy shore dump and packed.
Hope this can help John from Newcastle

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
1 Feb 2015 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

"double head waves outside reef"

I find that hard to believe, either you were very lucky or there was a cyclone or tsunami in the area.

Any pics?

Pumma
24 posts
2 Feb 2015 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

What is the name of the spot north of Phang Rang??i was in Phang rang last year excellent spot and no crowd and chop like Mui Ne

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
2 Feb 2015 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

... I've been to nam 6 times, gone from one end to the other but usually end up staying in Mui Ne for the kiting. We've gone in off season and on season and inbetween times and Feb has the best winds usually but end of Nov was our pick as it was windy but quieter on the tourist, especially the Russians.

Phan Rang is more than 45 minutes north from Mui Ne, usually took us 2 hours on a bus, unless were talking about a different Phan Rang. We got wind every time we were there, most of us lit on small kites with monster swell out the back. If you braved the reef break you could find yourself amongst some double over heads or stay on the inside for speed runs a 5km run of concrete flat water. Locals are very poor here so unfortunately you got to watch your stuff on the beach.

Nah Trang is ok but hit and miss for wind and can be rough too, better off heading back to Mui Ne. Danang (Chin Beach) or Hoi-an (Cudi Beach) is good but again, hit and miss for wind and water conditions, although we jagged it and had a great time, prefer what Mui Ne has to offer for over all kiting and holiday stuff.

I reckon you should stay some where in Mui Ne, find a nice hotel your budget can handle on the mid to western end of the beach where you can kite out the front of your hotel or hire a motor bike then have fun riding to the surf beach as suggested above. The fishing village has a beach with some nice big shore dumping waves, most people called it Cemetary's and I think others call it Malibu due to the name of a big hotel in the middle. I found the waves smaller at the Malibu end of the beach, with some 3m dumpers at the other end. Not sure if Nomads (French guys run the place during the kite season) is still there but you can store your stuff at his place for a fee, easier to do that than carry your gear every day.

Vietnam is so dynamic so it changes constantly, every year we've gone its been different so just go and wing it and have some fun discovering it for yourself. Not the ultimate place for kiting but the people, food and affordability make up for it.

Good info here: www.adambray.com and www.adambray.comkitesurfing.htm

cheers,

Robbie

JohnnyRoberts
NSW, 3 posts
2 Feb 2015 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

We stayed at Vinh Hy Resort in vinh hy bay not bad about $20 a night good food cheap beer
main kite spot 15 mins south depending on road works, there is a small island called hon Deo just off shore with coral reef to the island left and right handers further out

JohnnyRoberts
NSW, 3 posts
2 Feb 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

it also took us 3.5 hours in a car to get from mui ne to phan rang road works 40km/ hr all the way.

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
3 Feb 2015 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from Vietnam. Took the wife and 2 young kids. Stayed at Mui ne for the first week then went to an island off Nha trang. It took us 5.5 hours to drive from HCMC airport to Mui ne but some other people we met it took 3.5...the driver had a small accident on the way. It also took us 5hours From Mui ne to Nha trang....
At Mui ne kited every day. It is very choppy and there were quite a few people out. I think it gets more packed in feb. However it wasn't too packed where I was down the end of the beach at C2sky but as with anywhere if you go out far enough you kite alone. I also stored my gear there.
Took three kites and would have used them all if I wasn't to lazy to pump up the 7m (I was hanging on for a while one afternoon). I've never seen a bigger diversity of kites on the water at one time, one day there were people on 15m while others on 7m (and the ones on the 15m weren't airstylers).
I did find the wind quite deceptive, what you thought you could ride over here you wouldn't have enough grunt over there. Not really an issue though as it seems to pick up "most" of the time.

The second half of the holiday (Nha trang) I didn't kite due to no wind. However where I was isn't known as a windy place.
PM me if you want more info.

psychojoe
WA, 2107 posts
3 Feb 2015 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
My time on the east coast of vietnam ends tomorrow morning, unfortunately I haven't been able to kite here at all, the wind in vinh hy bay has been ridiculously gusty, tried it twice just to make sure, couldn't hire a scooter to head north, ended up taking a taxi today and found an amazing spot, but it did look a little dangerous with all the submerged rocks and there's no way my pregnant woman was gonna sit on the beach for two hours while I kited. Anyhow Perth next week, maybe I'll get a kite there

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
4 Feb 2015 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Thailand is good for sex reassignment surgery.

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
4 Feb 2015 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

Ya get a Holiday "feel" included in the price

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Vietnam in February" started by psychojoe