Forums > Kitesurfing General

Wave sking - how funny is this

Created by JohnnoKeys > 9 months ago, 2 Nov 2010
JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
2 Nov 2010 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

http://www.skipressworld.com/usa/ski-news/lifestyle-6/adventure-6/67-adventure/59409-big-wave-skiing-mind-blowing-salomon-video.html

herbyburger
WA, 301 posts
2 Nov 2010 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Couldnt do it without jet skis and they suck.
The kiting bit is weird.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
2 Nov 2010 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

If it wasn't for guys like these trying new things there would be no such thing as kiteboarding ,snowboarding ,hangliding ,paragliding and so on .Fortunately they don't take notice of the naysayers and the "what's cool " police . thanks for posting Jonno ,enjoyed it and found some inspiration.

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
2 Nov 2010 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Chucks done it

chuckpattersonsports.wordpress.com/

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
2 Nov 2010 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Found that very interesting. Watched the whole vid. This is how water sport innovations are invented. People push the boundaries and/or try new things. Thanks for sharing Johno...

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
2 Nov 2010 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Mr float said...

If it wasn't for guys like these trying new things there would be no such thing as kiteboarding ,snowboarding ,hangliding ,paragliding and so on .Fortunately they don't take notice of the naysayers and the "what's cool " police .

Trying new things and mucking around is always cool, I don't even think the "whats cool police" would dispute that... Unfortunately learning to understand whether or not you should be taking something seriously, that is the hard part .

PsYLoR
QLD, 927 posts
3 Nov 2010 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Well they just claimed the rollerbladers of the see title - guess we move up a notch. haha - I actually thought that looked fun :)

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
3 Nov 2010 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

the problem the guys were having in the first vid was what to do with your hands and balance.Chucks got the right idea using poles .Gives much better balance .Too bad the only vid of chuck is on his head .the side shots give a good idea tho of the potential .
here's a link chuckpattersonsports.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/exploring-the-new-frontier-of-wave-skiing-part-2/
Kiting also solves the "what to do with your hands "dilemma .(I use 110 snow skis for snow kiting .Bloody hard to use without poles/no kite or kite ) We tried kiting with some short water skis a couple of years ago without luck.Wouldn't mind trying in the waves again with kite on longer skis .Anyone in Newcastle with some water skis?

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
3 Nov 2010 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

I thought it was pretty cool........looked like they were having fun. What more can you ask for.

DaCurls
WA, 134 posts
3 Nov 2010 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

kiting started out on ski's years ago

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
3 Nov 2010 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

tatkins
QLD, 344 posts
3 Nov 2010 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
Monkey see, monkey do

Ha ha -where can i get some of those ski's?

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
3 Nov 2010 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ so much gold in those clips!

The kites
The bars
The boards
The skis
The harnesses

OMG the kites!

Lol at the scarry dark ages of kiting...

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
3 Nov 2010 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

The late Bob Dawson use to tell us stories of well before kitesurfing kites were around,or even thought of, he was trying to stack heaps of the biggest kites he could make together and try and water ski behind them out in the surf

If it wasnt for people like him trying/dreaming up all these sort of things and having the passion/craziness to get out there and have a go,
no of us would be enjoying the things we now take for granted.
RIP

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
3 Nov 2010 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

The late Bob Dawson use to tell us stories of well before kitesurfing kites were around,or even thought of, he was trying to stack heaps of the biggest kites he could make together and try and water ski behind them out in the surf

If it wasnt for people like him trying/dreaming up all these sort of things and having the passion/craziness to get out there and have a go,
RIP

he actually did.He came up with a stack of small delta kites that were easy to assemble and cheap and pulled like buggery .I've still got a stack of them .If you are lurking Steve what were they called .i can't remember .Anyway it's all good .I've found some water skis and am keen to have another shot at it in the waves .had a good seesion waveriding a Pl kite boat in bugger aall wind a few years back .hopefully this will top that .love the skis on the snow .you never know they could be really sumthin on the waves
Interesting tha CR recons kiteboards go upwind better on water than water skis due to less drag because of one rail .i find the oposite on snow (skis go upwind better due to the extr rails

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
3 Nov 2010 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Ive kited on waterskis and single ski before, good for a laugh. Forget about going upwind though.

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
5 Nov 2010 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

tatkins said...

^^^^^

How about surfing whilst using a bow and arrow. Take that torists!

Cool. Great way to deal with drop ins. I could use an old leggie and attach it to my SUP paddle. Maybe sharpen the outer edge of the paddle so I can slice bits off dropper inners on the way through.

i8cats
NSW, 7 posts
17 Nov 2010 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Mr float said...

the problem the guys were having in the first vid was what to do with your hands and balance.Chucks got the right idea using poles .Gives much better balance .Too bad the only vid of chuck is on his head .the side shots give a good idea tho of the potential .
here's a link chuckpattersonsports.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/exploring-the-new-frontier-of-wave-skiing-part-2/
Kiting also solves the "what to do with your hands "dilemma .(I use 110 snow skis for snow kiting .Bloody hard to use without poles/no kite or kite ) We tried kiting with some short water skis a couple of years ago without luck.Wouldn't mind trying in the waves again with kite on longer skis .Anyone in Newcastle with some water skis?

Ric B and I are going to have a play with speedboards for some fun and I am picking up a couple of skis this arvo to experiment with, should be interesting.

17 Nov 2010 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Mr float said...

lotofwind said...

RIP

he actually did.He came up with a stack of small delta kites that were easy to assemble and cheap and pulled like buggery .I've still got a stack of them .If you are lurking Steve what were they called .i can't remember .Anyway it's all good .I've found some water skis and am keen to have another shot at it in the waves .had a good seesion waveriding a Pl kite boat in bugger aall wind a few years back .hopefully this will top that .love the skis on the snow .you never know they could be really sumthin on the waves
Interesting tha CR recons kiteboards go upwind better on water than water skis due to less drag because of one rail .i find the oposite on snow (skis go upwind better due to the extr rails

Bob called those things blowflys, they had other names too, Bobs design was good, easy to make, pulled like a mack truck, and made a noise all good stuff back in the day.
I first went on the water, or in the water is a better way of putting it, in 97/98 with some cut down snow ski's glued to some hiking boots, unfortunately Goshen from KP Geelong threw them away in a recent clean up, bugga! I only went downwind, only went out in nuking frontal winds, and never went out much beyond the shorebreak. I ended up inventing wet sand skiing/Jebus walking, but it never took off!

salt
VIC, 616 posts
17 Nov 2010 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

I want to try kiteboarding with skis. I prefer skiing to snowboarding after all...
could be cool.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Wave sking - how funny is this" started by JohnnoKeys