Forums > Kitesurfing General

Whacky Euros

Created by whippingboy > 9 months ago, 6 Mar 2008
whippingboy
WA, 1104 posts
6 Mar 2008 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Just when I thought the kiters at Woodies were well behaved, I even help them launch/land their kites sometimes along comes a strange new type of kiter.

They seem overly aggressive, have strange mattress type kites and have no regard for others.

Hmm I think what's going on here, then I realise they're Euro kiters

It gave me a flashback to the 80's when Euro windsurfers invaded WA.

Oh well I'll get over it, just hope they don't stuff it up for the local kiting crew.

CU out there

Sir Les
Woodman Point Cultural attache (P.O.L.E.Y, D.R.U.N.K)

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
6 Mar 2008 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Yep heard same thing about Woodies....people flying kites in car park, jumping in dunes.....cool dudes with no respect.

They have kited up and down our coast and are now congregating for final show pony sessions at Woodies before catching planes out of here.

Not their spot so who the heck cares..........just wait till next year, going to be even worse unless we take some action to educate.

I just love it the way they say "hey mate" can I borrow your pump (none of them seen to have any), you say sure with a smile, but you always have to chase down the pump youself...it just gets used and thrown in the sand....had this experience twice now.

Finally, as an Australian and Euro-Yank, who has been here 11 years, I still don't feel comfortable calling people "mate," but getting there........it really is a wonderful Australian tradition, this mateship, but man when it comes out of a Euro wanting your pump.............yuck.

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
6 Mar 2008 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Susi Mai borrowed my pump at Woodies the other day, and put it back in my board bag. I met someone famous (and courteous), yay!

moon waxing
WA, 307 posts
6 Mar 2008 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

She can borrow my pump any time!

westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
6 Mar 2008 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Don't want harp on about it, probably those "Wacky Euro's",
But, what's the deal with setting up kites right in front of the entrance to the west beach, and then complaining when the lines are trampled on by an unsuspecting poley? If you are gonna kite on the northern beach, 10 steps north of the entrance and start to set up will ensure your lines are not trampled on.
Saw a dude with a red and black slingshot, set up in this area, go kiting the north side, on the way back crashed his kite into the dunes a few times (gotta be good for it, watch out on the second hand market!) then walk up into the car park still flying his kite
Three strikes your out???

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 Mar 2008 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

GreenPat said...

Susi Mai borrowed my pump at Woodies the other day, and put it back in my board bag. I met someone famous (and courteous), yay!

So you a pump pimp eh?? Well Suzy Mai - but whill she or not???

Gawd - slow week at work and my material is getting worse....

As for Euro bashing - yep I have found the biggest knobs seem to be Euros but it is a classic case of a few bad eggs. Most are very easy going, and after a quick word about local decorum seem to fit right in (hey mate). The knobs do stick out though.. (scuse the bad pun).

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
6 Mar 2008 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

Gawd - slow week at work and my material is getting worse....

Perhaps I should ban you until it improves?

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 Mar 2008 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Fine - I'll go hang with my new best mate kiteboy....

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 Mar 2008 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pat - are you up for a downwinder this Sat or Sun?

Can't believe I let my 666th post go bye without one of these [}:)] attached...

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
6 Mar 2008 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Probably good for Sunday, though I'm doing the corporate triathlon in the morning...

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 Mar 2008 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet - look at all those lovely green arrows fron Sunday on... so sweet...

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
10 Mar 2008 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Some riders from Europe may need some helpful advice, for example they may never have seen red and yellow flags in their life for example before visiting your beach -although it is their responsibility to know...

Judge each person as they are, not by where they are from.

Give the guy back his pump! - it will be a sad day when having to ask to borrow a kite pump becomes anything other than a friendly hello.

It's all about respect and consideration really.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Whacky Euros" started by whippingboy