Forums > Kitesurfing General

What work do you do

Created by suface2air > 9 months ago, 25 Oct 2013
stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
25 Oct 2013 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Satan says.....Oh and I kite the midnight wind changes that you wish happened in daylight hours.....

Up yours.

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
25 Oct 2013 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

It sounds like I am the only one that actually works....not happy about that....need a lotto win

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
25 Oct 2013 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Did a career change 6 years ago. I used to work in purchasing in China. Awesome job, heaps of free time travelling around Asia looking for wind. Now I am 3 years out of an Accounting degree and studying my CPA. No time, less time kitesurfing than I was used to, but I love my new career. So I don't mind the sacrifice, after all it took me 40 years to find a job I really enjoy.

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
25 Oct 2013 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Surface to Air, I am 41 and I took a career change into teaching and did a dip ed in teaching. Just finishing it and looking for a job at the moment.

The teaching profession really likes people with industry experience. Some teachers can be threatened by it and some embrace it.

I have taught heaps of apprentices and up to 2 years ago I was considering moving into tafe teaching until the government got rid of all of the funding. Basically there is no boat building course in Victoria anymore. So I looked into high school teaching.

As with anything I love my job now. As what eppo said I love it when the little runts give it to me. I give it back ten fold. You earn their respect and they give it back in spades.

Computer geek and IT. My brother is doing his cert 4 in ICT and has a job already in a local school doing ICT. Because of the amount of computers needed in schools they need heaps of computer nerds.

Go with something you like doing. I have 3 careers and all have revolved around the sports I love.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
25 Oct 2013 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
simstat said..

default said...
bene313 said..

Part owner of an accounting practice.

Work is 15 minutes from beach and home is in between the two.

I'm the boss so unless busy or in meetings I can scoot off as I please.

default said..

male gigolo

Now I know why you can afford six new kites every season.

Yes business is good with all the FIFO blokes away all the time

I reckon on behalf of all the FIFO crew out there, it would be clear to say that a good accountant deserves good wind. Mine is a legend.

On behalf of the non-FIFO crew out there, just pointing out that default is not an accountant....

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
25 Oct 2013 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nope sounds more like a lawyer to me.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
25 Oct 2013 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

What is this "work" word you speak of???

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
26 Oct 2013 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

Work is highly over rated. Only worked about 3 months total this year.
Im having a gap year at an older stage in life. Hey, why not, life's over too quick to work 50 hrs a week all your life than retire worn out and buggered.
Have gone from a tradesman sweating it out all day,to having an 8 month break, to now just started working a few nights a week in air-con from 7pm till 12. Go home, sleep till 9am, then kite all day and repeat. Loven life.

signed... sunburnt, sore, battered......but feels soooooooooo good.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
26 Oct 2013 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

PLUMBER
self employed,!!!!!!!! ( Hi, it's the plumber calling... yeah I was booked in to do your job this arvo but unfortunately something has come up (about 20 knots) and I wont be able to make it , yeah sorry about that . Can we rebook for tomorrow morning...? )
and I live 2 1/2 minutes from our best kiting beach in Perth

self employed Tradie, city based, and the gear lives in the van!!!!

BOO YEAH !!!!!

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
26 Oct 2013 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daggy said..

PLUMBER
self employed,!!!!!!!! ( Hi, it's the plumber calling... yeah I was booked in to do your job this arvo but unfortunately something has come up (about 20 knots) and I wont be able to make it , yeah sorry about that . Can we rebook for tomorrow morning...? )
and I live 2 1/2 minutes from our best kiting beach in Perth

self employed Tradie, city based, and the gear lives in the van!!!!

BOO YEAH !!!!!

Customer...
That bleeden plumber was supposed to come out this arvo.... now not coming till tomorrow. " hey kids go and do a dirty great sh!t in the blocked loo"
That,ll teach the late barstard.

I'm lucky i don't need a tradey on South Sandwich..... all my shizen runs downhill

Naaaa but seriously, i ran away from work(the other 4 letter word) years ago after a huge windfall was bestowed upon my unworthy wallet. South Sandwich may be isolated, desolate...baron.....lonely.....but it's windswept and.......... ..................and......damn lonely.... lucky I've got my hands.... and my lightning fast wit. That WAS "fast wit " guys!

I invite any of my kiting brothers.... sisters ...(yes it's lonely out here), to come in the South Sandwiches.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
26 Oct 2013 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

And visit satan?

You go girl.

prea
QLD, 184 posts
26 Oct 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

I work for the council

you know all the weeds that come up through the pavers

I plant them

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
26 Oct 2013 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Work for leading mining company managing a few projects. Base is Gero, weekend at Horrocks and work in Perth CBD. I drive a lot. Start early and knock off at 4 so can get out for a kite after work and weekends. Good money, but a bit of a nomadic lifestyle which can suck sometimes.

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
26 Oct 2013 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
prea said..

I work for the council

you know all the weeds that come up through the pavers

I plant them

lol :)

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
26 Oct 2013 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..

Work is highly over rated. Only worked about 3 months total this year.
Im having a gap year at an older stage in life.......but feels soooooooooo good.

Same here. Took most of the year off. Recharged the batteries. 4wks into new mining role and loving it.

littlewing
QLD, 152 posts
26 Oct 2013 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

i work in a gay engineering job doing gay engineering stuff with gay people till after dark every day and hate every second, i have no ambition, maybe jail would be better? kite every second weekend or so. cant get out need salary im on get stuck in it wife kids... need a career change but cant go back in pay

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
26 Oct 2013 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

i get long lengths of timber cut them up and nail them back together making bigger lengths of timber, its a trade called carpentry my hrs are 7.30am till 20knts

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
26 Oct 2013 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Dentist. Work a 7 day fortnight and live on the beach

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
26 Oct 2013 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Stockbroker / asset manager for a well known Australian investment bank. I manage superannuation funds for my clients, have a few fellow kiters as clients. Luckily the market shuts at 1pm in summer :)

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
26 Oct 2013 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

been on holiday for the last 4 years travelling round kiting and surfing,worked part time 6 months a year since 1998 as an electrician and surfed Indo a lot

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 382 posts
27 Oct 2013 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

Full time trolley boy at woolies. I don't live near the beach and i drive a Datsun 120Y.

Mark _australia
WA, 22377 posts
27 Oct 2013 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
suface2air said..
What work do you do

circle

Tony Armstrong
NSW, 341 posts
27 Oct 2013 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theDoctor said..

as little as possible

Ditto here Steve..

My life is about weather, waves and wind... Hmmm, beer too!!!

busterwa
3777 posts
27 Oct 2013 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Air traffic controller !

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
27 Oct 2013 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Run a consulting company and live across the road from the beach. It's a choppy location but I can still put my kids to bed at 7pm and get out for a 2 hour kite so I can't complain. Haven't kited much since the arrival of our second but my mother in law has moved to the same city as us so kiting will become more prevalent.

littlewing
QLD, 152 posts
27 Oct 2013 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hybrid_Z said..
Full time trolley boy at woolies. I don't live near the beach and i drive a Datsun 120Y.

man used to deliver pizzas in a 120y made 400000km tll blew 1st engine used to surf all over, mainly tos. those were the days. dont go to uni u will stuff it up

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
27 Oct 2013 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

self employed chippy. tools down and cancel all after work quoting arrangements from 15knots.. and take a day off if margs is pumping

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
28 Oct 2013 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

self employed and down tools at 15kts....

no after work quoting...?

who are you kidding

you must be broke

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
28 Oct 2013 2:38AM
Thumbs Up

Big 4 Audit....currently in the middle of my CA

Yes, I got the short end of the stick.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
28 Oct 2013 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

I work at a bank.... not much time off, But i do live 5-10mins from my local beach so its okay.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"What work do you do" started by suface2air