Forums > Kitesurfing General

Where to for a Southerly in Newcastle

Created by sitekurfing > 9 months ago, 14 Mar 2011
sitekurfing
NSW, 2 posts
14 Mar 2011 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Folks,

Just starting out kiting in Newcastle. Where is the best place to go for a good Southerly??

Thanks!

-RT

ok
NSW, 1088 posts
14 Mar 2011 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

most beaches just start up the southeren ends your best bet is going down to hams aka caves beach!

Craig66
NSW, 2457 posts
14 Mar 2011 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

sitekurfing said...

Hey Folks,

Just starting out kiting in Newcastle. Where is the best place to go for a good Southerly??

Thanks!

-RT

26 to 30 knots southerly.....tricky.
Best to watch from the beach for a bit.
but as Ok said

hangtime
NSW, 397 posts
14 Mar 2011 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rt.
Are you the guy with the 12m Rebel at Nobbies? If so you left your bar and lines behind, Theyre now with the Lifesavers.

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
14 Mar 2011 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

hangtime said...

Hi Rt.
Are you the guy with the 12m Rebel at Nobbies? If so you left your bar and lines behind, Theyre now with the Lifesavers.

Hey hangtime you back in Newcastle for a while?

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
14 Mar 2011 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Craig66 said...

sitekurfing said...

Hey Folks,

Thanks!

-RT

26 to 30 knots southerly.....tricky.
Best to watch from the beach for a bit.
but as Ok said

tricky ?Today was freakin epic. .Southerlies sort out the men from the boys for sure .under 18 kt ave can be tricky as its directly onshor and the waves are usually pushing the exact same direction as the wind .Craig is right about the higer winds .Launch and land in direct on shore is tricky for sure .you get it wrong and you're in the car park or wipin out the joggers .You will see riders at Dicko but if you're a newcastle southerly virgin then Nobbies is probably a better option as it is a bit more sideshore at the southern end and the reef out the back gives some protction and there is more beach if you blow the launch . stockton is a slo an option As with any of the beaches in a busy city and onshore winds watch out for punters .Usually southerlies have fewr people on the beaches

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
14 Mar 2011 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Greetings
We moved to Newcastle a month ago and me and my 13 yo son are very keen kiters. Been seaching for a bit of flat water as he's just at the edging the board stage. We had a really good session up at Hawks nest last weekend (jimmy's beach) but its a fair drive from Newcastle. We were a bit surprised there was only 3 other kiters out. Been checking out the southern end of stockton in the lee of the breakwater in a southerly it looks like it might be ok. (any thoughts?) He's had the kite up at Nobbies a couple of times in a NE But we're not used to that many kiters in one place. We are definately spoilt in SA for good spots. We would prefer to ease ourselves into the scene and not be an extra hazard.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 Mar 2011 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Gwendy said...

Greetings
We moved to Newcastle a month ago and me and my 13 yo son are very keen kiters. Been seaching for a bit of flat water as he's just at the edging the board stage. We had a really good session up at Hawks nest last weekend (jimmy's beach) but its a fair drive from Newcastle. We were a bit surprised there was only 3 other kiters out. Been checking out the southern end of stockton in the lee of the breakwater in a southerly it looks like it might be ok. (any thoughts?) He's had the kite up at Nobbies a couple of times in a NE But we're not used to that many kiters in one place. We are definately spoilt in SA for good spots. We would prefer to ease ourselves into the scene and not be an extra hazard.

Yes the northern side of the Stockton breakwall works in Southerly but Nobbys headland can stuff the wind up .Also stay away from the flags .If you lose ground and need to walk back up the beach you will need to put your kite down and carry your kite (one of the lifeguards and locals don't want kiters walking up the beach with kites in the air over anyone ,too dangerous apparently). A good flatwater NE spot is Salts Bay on the sothern side of swansea heads .There is a dirt road off Lambton st (or is it new lambton?) . You will need to walk down the beach until you get wind (usually about 70 m ) and beware of the rock groin.You can set up downwind of the first rock groin too .There is hardly any beach at high tide and the wind is very onshore .There is also a star picket fence to watch out for .If you are going to succeed with kiting in Newcastle you have got to be really committed with all these things and our indifferent wind to deal with

And yes the sharks at stockton (a mate was trolling for tailor the other day and hooked something incredibly large it managed to make off with the lure )

picker
VIC, 431 posts
15 Mar 2011 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

ease yourself into the mouth of a shark at stocko'

shannon8888
NSW, 517 posts
15 Mar 2011 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

picker said...

gives you a good incentive to stay on your board

milko
NSW, 604 posts
15 Mar 2011 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

shannon8888 said...

picker said...

Then why dont you ?

shannon8888
NSW, 517 posts
15 Mar 2011 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

milko said...

shannon8888 said...

picker said...

Then why dont you ?

got a new trick its called the bidet is where you ride poo style in 30 odd knots and ...... well you can guess the rest.....where were you yesterday you handbag?

sitekurfing
NSW, 2 posts
15 Mar 2011 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

hangtime said...

Hi Rt.

Not me... I'm sure someone appreciates the good deed though!

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
15 Mar 2011 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

picker said...

Bloody noah's. We're from the west coast of south oz so the threat of gettin bitten is not new to us. There's a very perplexing body count racking up down there. I have to admit its one of the many reasons i moved away from tallships and mal's. 70% of our kiting has been in knee deep water.
We've been watching the conditions here closely and we'll need to adapt of course. If and when we venture out at stockton we'll make curtain not to interfere with the club or other beach users, we seek to promote the sport. We stayed at stockton when we first came here and went out once in a NE but it was 1 or 2 knots short for gettin the 10m happening with a TT. I notice 12m with surfboard the favored ordinance here. I'm impressed with the skills of a lady I saw at nobbies with an 8m in 15 kts.
So thanks for the tips, and hope to meet you guys on the beach if I havn't allready. The locals I've met so far have been most freindly.

P.S Whats with the blokes at Nobbies in the speedo's with bike helmets? Euro's perhaps? I'm hoping its not standard equipment as I'm not that pretty

Toots
WA, 271 posts
15 Mar 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Im fairly sure there have been more shark attacks between merewether and Bar beach than Stockton if any at stockton.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 Mar 2011 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Toots said...

Im fairly sure there have been more shark attacks between merewether and Bar beach than Stockton if any at stockton.

that's because there aren't many stockos silly enough to go swimming there

hangtime
NSW, 397 posts
16 Mar 2011 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

wdric said...

hangtime said...

Hi Rt.

Hey hangtime you back in Newcastle for a while?

Hi WDric
Ive been anchored just inside Nobbies head for a few days, Slowly sailing north. Had an awesome weekend with 25knot Noreaster last saturday then 25-30 knots south on sunday at Nobbies....Unbloodyreal! Then to top that off i landed at Nobbies with my hangglider yesterday after launching at Merewether. How good is Newcastle!?
Will be kiting Jimmies beach next sun-mon with the forecast Noreaster, come on up!

Toots
WA, 271 posts
16 Mar 2011 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

someone got bitten today at Nelson Bay, might go do hawks nest, its seems safer wherever theres a great white feeding ground

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
16 Mar 2011 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Toots said...

15m as your high wind kite no wonder your safe they probly think your a whale

milko
NSW, 604 posts
16 Mar 2011 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Toots said...

someone got bitten today at Nelson Bay, might go do hawks nest, its seems safer wherever theres a great white feeding ground

I was out surfing Samurai today (Nelson Bay) on my SUP and saw the man in the grey suit chasing mullet.. I dont think it was big enough to do the damage to the girl who was hit today though.

Toots
WA, 271 posts
16 Mar 2011 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

hamburglar said...

Toots said...

15m as your high wind kite no wonder your safe they probly think your a whale

Haha I dont need my 15m for them to think that

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Where to for a Southerly in Newcastle" started by sitekurfing