Forums > Kitesurfing General

Whiplash

Created by Big eeeZeee > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2011
Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
21 Nov 2011 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just converted to boots. Love the feel and everything about it other than catching an edge. Even the smallest stacks on toe/heel side edges leave me with a decent headache straight up.

Is there any way to minimise whiplash on the neck? Heard lifting the knees up can slightly minimise the whip effect.

cheers

kitelooper1
112 posts
21 Nov 2011 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Too many whiplashes is guaranteed to leave you with long term damage. People with bad backs are a pain in the arse same goes for the neck. It is part of the spine aint it?

I think excessive wear and tear on the knees, back and hip and neck are big sleeper issues in kiting for those that ride hard and often.

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
21 Nov 2011 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Probably why wakeboarders are still being towed behind a boat ^^

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
21 Nov 2011 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Tell me about it...but check it, from yoga trying to correct it

kitelooper1
112 posts
21 Nov 2011 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Once cartilage, disks, end plates are damaged they are damaged. If you already have some accelerated wear in lower back/hips/knees then if you go long and hard often, boosting, hard landings, chop bashing can really ramp up the wear. Combine that with the tightening response, changes in pelvis orient and new patterns the **** can hit the fan. Once backs and hips are screwed you are screwed.

I reckon a decent human movement study of kiteboarding landings would reveal some concerning issues re the simultaneous application of forces of the kite pulling thru torso combined with impact forces of landing and how the body deals with this whilst trying to execute a smooth absorption of the landing forces. I have an inkling that the normal landing mechanics maybe comprimised resulting in very high levels of force being applied to joints at compromised orientations.

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
21 Nov 2011 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Seeing this is my future course of study, I recon such a study would be very revealing and perhaps lead to better practice or management of issues.

Yea, it is a sad fact that the body deteriorates after 20

I ride hooked and unstrapped, not to look cool..........but simply because my body can't take it any more.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
21 Nov 2011 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Really there are some fools on here (probably me included)... But the fact is boots aren't any worse for you than straps, think about all the other related damage you can do in straps that boots save you from...

The key for you my friend is learning to crash properly. It might take some time to adjust to boots, your body has learned bad technique from riding straps for so long, take it easy for a while and get used to crashing safely.
The key most of the time is either:
A) Rolling as you hit the water avoiding a big edge, or
B) Lifting your legs by bending your knees up in order to clear your board from the water, or
C) a combination of the two.

Once you suss it all out you are going to have a lot more fun riding because you wont be swimming for your board and you wont be scared about blowing out on big landings or braking an ankle.

*** Oh i forgot to add one big thing - LET GO... I know strappers love to hang on after crashing and looping their kite letting it pull them about 100m downwind of their hook plank, but yeah... just let go.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
21 Nov 2011 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Boots are for those who can't keep their board on. [}:)]

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
21 Nov 2011 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah,once you learn how to body drag upwind and get past the noob stage, you wont need the learner boots. They are like trainer wheels on a bike lol

doonut
WA, 257 posts
21 Nov 2011 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

im considering getting a board for boots n sum boots for a board, just like the idea of being able to edge n pop super hard. i dont looze my board with straps very often but like the idea of boots

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
21 Nov 2011 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

soooo much noob.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
21 Nov 2011 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^+1 to Rowdys first comment, learnt to crash, the best way is to WEAR a wetsuit as you wont give yourself a saltwater-enema. Landing badly straight up is pure physics, and your head is the last part of the fulcrim. Knees almost to your chest so you dont knock yourself out with your knee and throw yourself forward. Most times your ready to relaunch in the proper position.

Yeah and let go everything stops, even on the most radical C-kite nowadays.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
21 Nov 2011 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Boots + Boat = Cool
Boots + Kite = Ghey

Just saying...

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
21 Nov 2011 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

it's not straps vs boots you blouses

thanks for the constructive tips rowdy

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
21 Nov 2011 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

With the above logic:
Surfboard + waves = Cool
Surfboard + kite = ?????

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Nov 2011 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

sir ROWDY said...

With the above logic:
Surfboard + waves = Cool
Surfboard + kite = ?????

are you kidding?

Well according to that 'formulae', surfboard + kite = catching (more) waves with out paddling. Often this happens when it is too windy to paddle surf, leading to more time on the water.

And for the record, what do you call a kite board with wake boarding boots on it????

And isn't the best flat water on lakes behind ski boats???

Excuse my ignorance!!!

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
21 Nov 2011 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Back on topic douchebags. None of you are cool. You're sitting at home argueing on the internet.

We are all lame, kitesurfing is lame, boots are lame, straps are lame and fat chick avatars are lame. But, as lame as I am, I do have an interest in minimizing the damage done to myself when I crash. Mostly because crashing hard in front of chicks is lame and being literally lame is lame.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
21 Nov 2011 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Fat chicks as an avitar are lame, and as Ive come to realise kitesurfing is gay, Im happy to be a lesbian, Surfingboye, please say someting constructive once in your life on this forum and you might control your penile warts. Otherwise Ill see you in a year when you are again unlocked.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
21 Nov 2011 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Did I just get red thumbs from your girlfriend, Surfingboye, ragtime.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
22 Nov 2011 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

ApatheticEnd said...

Back on topic douchebags. None of you are cool. You're sitting at home argueing on the internet.

Ha ha ha LOL Gold.... I think thats my favorite line for 2011.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Whiplash" started by Big eeeZeee