Forums > Kitesurfing General

Who influences your decision to buy gear?

Created by Wizard > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2013
Wizard
VIC, 47 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi fellow kiters,
I was wondering if you could help me with a Uni marketing assignment I have got going at the moment.
I am focusing on, in particular, whether team riders/professionals influence your decision to buy particular equipment they are using. If you saw a top ten rider with particular gear, are you more inclined to purchase that brand?

For those involved in sponsoring team riders (ie - shops) - do you get your money's worth out of supplying free gear to sponsored riders? Do they bring you in revenue exceeding your outlay or is it more about promoting your business? Is it an effective marketing tool for your business?

And to all kiters - do professional or sponsored riders influences your decision to buy products - or is it more the school you did lessons at, your mates, product reviews in magazines etc??

Thanks, I really appreciate your views.

gcdave
534 posts
13 Nov 2013 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

I base all my purchases on the 27 kites and 16 boards eppo reviews each season

kemp90
QLD, 1694 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Eppo lol

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

+ 1 for Eppo!!!!

GRunner
QLD, 238 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Just like the others have said. I base my purchase on the opinions of those people I know and respect (their knowledge in their chosen field). In the loop, KP, the POM Kiter Prez etc.

I dunno Eppo

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

It's a bit like the invention of the wheel....

Some took too it, and some native Aussies didn't,but
once it was invented,it was so simple that marketing
was needed too suck us in too buy a better wheel!!!!

Technology develops thanks too the comsumers buying and promoting,or using
their products. That give's them the cash too do soQ!

For me, I like what I like... But I'm NOT A WANABE FOOL!

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Eppo....

Plummet
4862 posts
13 Nov 2013 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

yeah. I don't care what the pro's are riding. They are paid to ride it!. I want to know what unsponsored guys who don't have a vesting interest in the product this.

The guy who has paid his hard earned cash. that is who I will listen to.

axion
VIC, 144 posts
13 Nov 2013 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Mainly my wife!!! Unfortunately she does not understand you need lots of kites and a range of boards...

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Price, then availability, then reviews from people using it for the same purpose I intend to.

And then sometimes, I just buy random **** outa the blue...

frankief
NSW, 68 posts
13 Nov 2013 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Try before you buy - its the only way!

kb53
54 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

What ever the best deal is going at the time on ebay. Your gear is only as good as the person riding it. So it doesn't matter whether my gear is good or s**t.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
13 Nov 2013 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wizard said..

(1) If you saw a top ten rider with particular gear, are you more inclined to purchase that brand?

(2) do professional or sponsored riders influences your decision to buy products -

(3) is it the school you did lessons at

(4) your mates

(5) product reviews in magazines etc??

Thanks, I really appreciate your views.

(1) no
(2) not that I'm aware of
(3) I never went to kite school
(4) yes it gives you a chance to see, demo.
(5) a little
But it comes down more to quality, performance, price, availability, and there are some brands I'm just not into so wouldn't consider.
Some of the most talented kiters aren't the best re reviews. Also it's so subjective , even taking out variations in weight, riding conditions, skill level, and expectations of performance in certain wind ranges you can get wildly varying opinions.
eg we nearly all fly by feel, hardly ever even looking at the kite. If I came from a kite with heavier bar pressure and demoed a kite lighter on the bar, it would be easy to choke it. In other words you instinctively fly the kite how you would with you regular quiver, which may not get the best performance out of it. Hence I'm dubious of 1 ride reviews, where they haven't dialled the kite in. There are certain reviewers on here I trust, who are about the same weight and use similar equipment, who would influence a purchase decision. Rant over. Hope you pass your assignment.
Btw I think the Best kites brand marketing is useless as all the best riders helmets just fog up when they look at those bikini clad nymphs

orynoco
QLD, 271 posts
13 Nov 2013 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Gotta listen to eppo, he's usually thinking the same thing I am once I've had a demo on a certain kite, unfortunately I don't get to try out nearly half of what he does.

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
13 Nov 2013 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

From people I think know what they are talking about but also follow a similar style to me as well as have an understanding of the conditions I am faced with

So , not pro riders but local mates and others who have a similar approach or can understand my conditions.

I don't boost much, don't do tricks , just look for waves and finding a balance in life. Those are the people I look for advice from.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
13 Nov 2013 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have to admit Eppo influenced my switch to Edges and from memory both Eppo and Cauncy helped talk me into a Shinn Monk and I'm super-stoked with both. Despite Eppo's 'enthusiasm' and 10,000 word essays I took the time to send him a PM and he was pretty good at pointing me to a couple of kites to try and narrow down a new purchase without getting lost in the choices available. Though I'm sure he drives the couple of shops he hits up for all his demo's crazy.

And Eppo is a good bloke to have a beer with, he never shuts up long enough to empty your fridge

Plummet
4862 posts
14 Nov 2013 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

To be honest i'm a bit annoyed at the hype each year. This years model is sooooo much better than last years.

I have lost faith completely in sponsered riders. They typically are completely one eyed and totally unable to highlight any negative points about a kite/board.

As others have have said. Try yourself. that is the best option.
If you cannot test yourself, lets face it not everyone has access to lots of kite brands to demo. If this is the face then look for advice from experienced guys who have a similar style to you.

PS Kamizuka. Price is your primary concern? don't you have a 21m speed? the most expensive kite on the plannet? how did you allow yourself to buy that if price was your primary concern.

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
14 Nov 2013 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Shops are useless they just want to sell you what they have on the floor, I know I used to work in retail. The best way to sell is to let people try the kites you sell. If they like them they will buy them.
I must admit my first kite was proposed by my kite teacher. It was a good choice at the time. When you become better you try different things.

Willstar
VIC, 32 posts
14 Nov 2013 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Invention of the wheel.

Hence why Naish sold so few Helix's!

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
14 Nov 2013 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Pimps, brand-whores and shop-goons influence me.

WA, 1255 posts
14 Nov 2013 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

my mum

sebol
WA, 753 posts
14 Nov 2013 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Since you can demo the gear, you would have to be nuts to listen to pro-riders or shops.
Try it, like it, buy it

Glokite
WA, 119 posts
14 Nov 2013 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Plummet has a good point about access to try before you buy, some people don't have that luxury I am one of those ones where I had to think about it a bit before purchasing gear. So that includes reading this forum and having discussions and so forth, also taking in consideration of particular style of kiting I want to do or want to get into. And what are the best options to get me there. However ill admit I also learnt from buying from not so trust worthy people and bought dodgy kites and boards. So I am thankful I met some kiters that were willing to give advice and lend a hand.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
14 Nov 2013 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

i visit/watch factory processes of the production of the kites.

so manufacture wise cabrinha business wise ozone.

jeff2
WA, 221 posts
14 Nov 2013 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

G-SPOT extreme sports !

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
14 Nov 2013 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

default's mum

bjw
QLD, 3620 posts
15 Nov 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

I choose the kite that resembles most the fashion choices of Rick Kane in the movie North Shore.

moons
WA, 349 posts
15 Nov 2013 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
15 Nov 2013 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Lots of gullible sheeple around

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
15 Nov 2013 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

I base my purchases on the Seabreeze 'pay per review' format..

If EPPO says it's good, then obviously why would you bother with anything else.

If only he could predict when waveslave will be placed in a retirement village or even the Keno 10/10 number sequence.

KiterBen
SA, 161 posts
15 Nov 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

What influences my purchases is when you enquire about a kite and the retailer shows that he actually cares about your purchase. I have emailed and contacted a number of stores asking when they will have something in stock or when something will be released etc and have had no response. It shouldn't be the buyer chasing the seller. In the end I purchased from the retailer that gave the best service.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Who influences your decision to buy gear?" started by Wizard