Forums > Kitesurfing General

Who's Kited Hawaii?

Created by SUPSurferQLD > 9 months ago, 18 Aug 2015
SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 317 posts
18 Aug 2015 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hey All

I'm getting married in November and the honeymoon is shortly after. Naturally, I want to kite. The Mrs. suggested Boracay, but I am firmly over that destination.

I want some waves - who's been to Hawaii in November? Was it decent wind wise? Apparently the wind is best April-September, but the swell is insane in November. To be honest i'd be sitting on the beach in anything over 5-6ft, so if we are talking sizeable, i'd probably not be keen...

Are there any areas around the mainland or close by that have a good mix of waves/flat water chop/fun conditions?

Thanks

JKimbler
317 posts
18 Aug 2015 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

November is one big question mark, every year, year after year... Typically the wind slacks except for a few good wild stormy days, the surf could be overhead to many,many, many times overhead... Just a tough call. With the El Nino pattern setting up it could be really light winds and huge surf... which means really good manageable size surf on other parts of the island. We just never know... still no place like Hawai'i...

bjw
QLD, 3619 posts
18 Aug 2015 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Go to Maui. Better chance of wind than Oahu. I cant comment of November though. It'll be quieter and more chilled out than Oahu for the lady too. But rent a car for sure.

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
19 Aug 2015 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

I was on Maui for the month of June and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The wind was good every day though a little lacking in waves at that time of the year.

I have friends over there some of whom have lived there for quite some time they had said October November is usually pretty epic with good wind and waves.
Kite beach is a greAt mix of flattish water and waves out the back.

if there's no wind there's good waves and it's not all death defying giant surf, plenty of mellow little waves on other sides of the island.
Maui itself is amazing regardless of the surf/wind conditions. If your missus likes the outdoors she won't be bored for a second

pezza
WA, 153 posts
20 Aug 2015 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

I'm here at the moment and it's flatter than a Perth summer. There was wind but no swell.

Bletti
WA, 163 posts
20 Aug 2015 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

I was on Maui late last November and got lucky about half the days I was there with my 10m.

Doddsey
QLD, 2 posts
21 Aug 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate,

I took my gear at Xmas this year. Kited Maui - wasn't great conditions but I was desperate.

I hired a local guide to take me out. good bloke. It was about $75 for 2 hrs. cheap compared to getting in trouble and shredding your kite.

happy to shoot you his deets if you want.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Who's Kited Hawaii?" started by SUPSurferQLD