Forums > Kitesurfing General

Why kite surf so close to shore?

Created by Loftywinds > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2014
Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
1 Feb 2014 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Just curious really. Not having a go at anyone or any group in particular.

Why do you guys love kiting as close as possible to the shore line? Is it a challenge? Or is it because of the flat water aspect or you want to show off to the non-kiters (or the babes)? Or is it because you can't keep up wind?

Like I said, not having a go - just curious 'ts all.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
1 Feb 2014 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Cause it's where the action is, think of it as a scatepark , and the open ocean as a potato field

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
1 Feb 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

how often is the only waves on the beach a shorey...
that may help you find your answer.

MOWIT
67 posts
1 Feb 2014 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

For me, it's less distance to swim in when the Alzheimer's kicks in and I forget where I am. More than four line lengths is a long way

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Feb 2014 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

chop sucks. roosting the flat shallows and boosting off wave lips occurs close to shore.

Mowit. A facebook page for you.

www.facebook.com/genuinelystokedgoats

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
1 Feb 2014 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said...
[br]Just curious really. Not having a go at anyone or any group in particular.

Why do you guys love kiting as close as possible to the shore line? Is it a challenge? Or is it because of the flat water aspect or you want to show off to the non-kiters (or the babes)? Or is it because you can't keep up wind?

Like I said, not having a go - just curious 'ts all.

Many reasons for me, 1 if I'm kiting near strong currents loose my board and can't get to it, or no one can help then its quicker to get to shore land kite and swim for it before it dissapears to the next state.
2 if your kite F's up and blows leading edge bladder/tears or snaps a line even a 200m swim with all that gear can be a long swim back, and if your not a strong swimmer this could turn to a drowning.
3 sharks don't worry me too much, but the further your out the more your chances of encountering them uh oh
4 fun factor playing in the waves and also low tide near shore line brings in the gullys and flat water spots we all crave for boosting mega jumps

MOWIT
67 posts
1 Feb 2014 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

chop sucks. roosting the flat shallows and boosting off wave lips occurs close to shore.

Mowit. A facebook page for you.

www.facebook.com/genuinelystokedgoats

Awwwe Plummet, you're such a kind Nakki to suggest a dating site for goats, how did you find it with the velcro gloves on

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
1 Feb 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Watch the shin high vid post here on seabreeze featuring Cotton Tree river mouth P.S. That place is notorious for its currents

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
1 Feb 2014 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Wind here is mostly dead on shore... pretty easy to end up within a couple of line lengths of the beach when you're a-boostin'. The "freestyle" kewl boys like to crash their kite on the beach cos they struggle to relaunch them off the water the "kooks" like me piss off upwind as far as we can and play in the deep water...

CowboyWA
WA, 55 posts
1 Feb 2014 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Many people just prefer to, ie flat water, waves etc.

However many people also forget to give way to people launching from the beach or when there are learners around. In these cases they should leave plenty of room rather than kite right up to shore on a packed beach.

There is plenty of water to kite in but there will always be a few that are just too cool..

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
1 Feb 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hmm flat water when its onshore?? I dont think Lofty is talking of offshore conditions on a small lake staying up wind and getting the glass etc.

He's talking about wierdos that have no appreciation for learners who kite in the launch and recovery area of a certain spot. I cant understand it myself. There is always a couple of hero's who make life difficult, there the ones i think he is talking about.

gcdave
534 posts
1 Feb 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Kiting close to shore is like standing in a busy launch spot with ur kite parked at 12 and askn ur missus for ya fave bucket hat.

Frrriiggn ace bra

terminal
1421 posts
1 Feb 2014 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Because it is more difficult to kitesurf out in dem big waves.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
1 Feb 2014 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gcdave said..

Kiting close to shore is like standing in a busy launch spot with ur kite parked at 12 and askn ur missus for ya fave bucket hat.

Love me a bucket hat.

TryPushHarder
QLD, 74 posts
2 Feb 2014 2:04AM
Thumbs Up

I do it cause I can't swim but it's easier to boost as well. Suppose it could be a bad outcome if ya made a mistake n got tea bagged.

gcdave
534 posts
2 Feb 2014 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said...
gcdave said..

Love me a bucket hat.

Love a good muppet lol

I think gopros compress the footage better when u land ur boosts on sand bars its all about data rate these days

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
2 Feb 2014 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

OMG. So you kite close to shore because (1) you can't swim, (2) you hate waves, (3) you want convinience and (4) you do show off. Hmmm how old are you lot?

YorksBoy
SA, 215 posts
2 Feb 2014 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

I was told there was sharks out there lol

Plummet
4862 posts
2 Feb 2014 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said..

OMG. So you kite close to shore because (1) you can't swim, (2) you hate waves, (3) you want convinience and (4) you do show off. Hmmm how old are you lot?

I believe these guys may be pulling your moobs!...

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
2 Feb 2014 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Kazan said..

I believe these guys may be pulling your moobs!...

Ha ha GOLD

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
2 Feb 2014 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Are these moobs? ;)

Plummet
4862 posts
2 Feb 2014 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

Are these moobs? ;)

I wish those where moobs.

There are moobs.

Be warned. Be fore you click the link. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

www.google.co.nz/search?q=moobs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KQzuUvrQIcyXiQelr4GoCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1856&bih=825

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
2 Feb 2014 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

MY EYES! MY EYES!!!

PaulVee
VIC, 126 posts
2 Feb 2014 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

So every one can see them! Plus the boardies over the wetty to accentuate their arse.

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
2 Feb 2014 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shane75 said..

Watch the shin high vid post here on seabreeze featuring Cotton Tree river mouth P.S. That place is notorious for its currents

Haha my one and only experience there on a friend's fuel and unstrapped surfboard after a cyclone swell? totally overpowered and unused to the kite I accidentally fired the chicken loop and lost the board which seemed hell bent on getting to New Zealand or Hawaii. If it wasn't for a helpful local I would have had some major 'splaining to do!!!

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
3 Feb 2014 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Loftywinds said..

Are these moobs? ;)

I wish those where moobs.

There are moobs.

Be warned. Be fore you click the link. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

www.google.co.nz/search?q=moobs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KQzuUvrQIcyXiQelr4GoCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1856&bih=825

AAARRGHHHHHH, who does that, really ??? seriously,.. that needed a BIG WARNING IN RED !!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Why kite surf so close to shore?" started by Loftywinds