Forums > Kitesurfing General

Windsurfer killed while guilty kiter runs

Created by Saffer > 9 months ago, 6 Oct 2013
Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
6 Oct 2013 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Just saw this on Kiteforum. After seeing the community ralley together after the loss of one of our locals, it's scary to see the opposite happen in a foreign country where a kiter does a runner.

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2382192&p=811787

"While the east wind blew for 3 days on the Var, the conditions were met for sessions in the beautiful bay where live almanarre windsurfers and kitesurfers . But late yesterday afternoon , Var morning relayed a very sad news for the community of water sports.
Hit by a kite , Patrick Ricaud , a retired Bandolais windsurfer well known in the area, was transported in serious condition to the hospital in Ste Musse Toulon after being supported by the SMUR and firefighters rescue center HYEROIS . Luckily , while the offending Kite would immediately took flight, Patrick , helped by a friend directly on the water , was subsequently brought ashore by Zodiac prevented by a regular spot after a third gave the Kitesurfer alert. After two hours of intensive care, emergency were not able to revive him . Our first thoughts are obviously going to Patrick's family , his wife, two children and relatives whose pain must be immense and that Wind Magazine extends its sincere condolences.
More generally , far be it from us to fuel the rivalry Kite / Wind remains sterile all ways , enjoy all the same to appeal to cautious kitesurfers who pass by here . The pleasure of a jump of more is not worth much against human life. To attend regular spots Almanarre and Madrague the collisions windsurfing / kitesurfing are unfortunately common. They are most often caused by a lack of judgment kitesurfers capacity , conditions, the magnitude of their drift jump or the space occupied by their wing . Obviously we also windsurfers to remain alert because in some situations a kitesurfer ( whose wing is 25m ) is less visible in peripheral vision a windsurfer always attached to his equipment. And a number of accidents could be avoided by a particular event as tragic as that of yesterday . Cohabitation would actually calmer for everyone . "

People confirmed that the kiter did a runner and have called him a coward. What a disgrace of a human being.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
6 Oct 2013 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

How do you die from being hit by a kite

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
6 Oct 2013 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

maybe lost in translation, it seems to point towards a jumping kiter not actually a kite

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
6 Oct 2013 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Some more info on the windsurfing thread

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Windsurfer-hit-and-killed-by-kiter/

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
6 Oct 2013 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

regardless of whether he hit him you always help someone in need of assistance in the water especially. It sounds like a regular spot, and I think social media will be a great help to track down this douche bag of a human being. Things arent clear but I assume he hit him in the back, back of the head whilst coming down from a jump.

When kitesurfing with windsurfers around, I've noticed you have got to be very careful when boosting, especially when its gusty. Windsurfers can sneak around your downwind side when going on a broadreach speed run. as they overtake you they also cant see you. Once you leave the water..... Its gonna be your fault. Whatever watersport you love, be safe and go hard enough so you can do it tomorrow. Tragic accident....

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
6 Oct 2013 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said..

regardless of whether he hit him you always help someone in need of assistance in the water especially. It sounds like a regular spot, and I think social media will be a great help to track down this douche bag of a human being. Things arent clear but I assume he hit him in the back, back of the head whilst coming down from a jump.

When kitesurfing with windsurfers around, I've noticed you have got to be very careful when boosting, especially when its gusty. Windsurfers can sneak around your downwind side when going on a broadreach speed run. as they overtake you they also cant see you. Once you leave the water..... Its gonna be your fault. Whatever watersport you love, be safe and go hard enough so you can do it tomorrow. Tragic accident....

He did. Even went to the cops off his own bat, apparently...
kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=811809

Sad news either way...

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
7 Oct 2013 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah sad news, I've also done some big jumps with kiters in front of me who've looked back but not up before turning then have me almost land on them.
Another problem with kiteboarding in Aus is that we're very restricted and confined to small areas that it gets too crowded which increases the risks of collisions not just with KS but also WS and small water craft, accidents are inevitable but as long as we stick together and help each other out we'll still live to show or tell about our battle scars.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Windsurfer killed while guilty kiter runs" started by Saffer