Forums > Kitesurfing General

accomodation in gero

Created by glasstraxx > 9 months ago, 11 Apr 2014
glasstraxx
WA, 321 posts
11 Apr 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

got two days work up in Geraldton in two weeks time Wednesday/Thursday (possible dive back Thursday arvo or Friday morning). Stayed at the broad water resort last time before i knew about kiting and was wondering if there is anywhere more central to the kite surfing area I could stay instead ? also whats the wind like at end of April. 11m or 17m weather?

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
12 Apr 2014 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

There isn't really one kitesurf area. There's spots from southgates right around to Drummonds so broadwater is pretty central and close to everywhere as long as you have a car. Late April is pretty hit and miss, you might get a seabreeze, might get a front, might get nothing so bring as many toys as you can!

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Apr 2014 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

African Reef hotel/motel is right on the beach and that gets kited regularly, but as Dave said it's hit and miss by now. A few guys have been out in the last two weeks but not many.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
12 Apr 2014 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Best spot by far is Coronation beach, about 22km north of Geraldton. You can camp there for about $7 a night but there are no facilities other than toilets and no water for drinking, so you have to bring your own from town.

Point Moore gets decent wind too but hotels in town are very pricey, all in the $100/night region. There's also Back Beach, and Sunset. There is a good caravan park in Sunset (Big4) that has nice cabins on the beach, but we're sort of at the end of the windy season so you might get wind and then again you might not.

PM me if you need more info.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Apr 2014 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

I'd rather kite and stay in Dongara, gero is 35 mins drive away, just how I roll

badskirt
9 posts
12 Apr 2014 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

We stayed at the 'motel accommodation' at the sunset beach caravan park which we booked at half price on their website. Craig got a few good sessions in. This was late-Feb. We were happy with the location and accomo.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Apr 2014 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

I guess it depends on whether glasstraxx is paying for accommodation or whether the boss is coughing up, likewise for a set of wheels.

austin
671 posts
12 Apr 2014 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Caravan park at the point, depends what your after, Corros needs a lot of swell to get going (2-2.5m + on gpa) if less than that man up and head out to the outer reefs

glasstraxx
WA, 321 posts
13 Apr 2014 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the feedback. We will be driving up in a big ute so space won't be a problem for more than 1 (17m & 11m) kite and I can use it after the days work. Yep all expenses paid so can really go all out. Last time I was up we stayed at the boradwater which was fantastic so iif it's pretty close to te main kite spots then I'll probs just stay there again ( will have a look on the map)

rodriego
WA, 20 posts
14 Apr 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

African reef for me.close to a good kite spot if any wind or if offshore head to hells gates or flatrocks for a surf and they do the best steaks in town

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"accomodation in gero" started by glasstraxx