Forums > Kitesurfing General

beginner kite for light rider

Created by Simoncs > 9 months ago, 15 Nov 2010
Simoncs
NSW, 32 posts
15 Nov 2010 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

looking for a kite for the wife. She is only 5ft and weighs less than 50kg, so looking for a small kite that doesn't have a massive reach to the depower.

Was thinking along the lines of Naish cult (seen these used in a lot of schools abroad) or Ozone catalyst was mentioned. As it's a small size am hoping that these are not too responsive/whippy.

She has flown an 8m turbo diesel and switchblade but both were too powerful and the power not that smooth for a beginner. So thinking size wise, a 6m will be the better option.

any thoughts on these or similar kites for small riders. (i have checked the forum already - looking for a 2nd hand option)

cheers
Simon

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
15 Nov 2010 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

A very hard question there . Everyone knows the smaller the kite the faster it is and snapper it is . I have done some reserch on this for my son he is 35kgs and flys a old dna 4 meter a great kite for me in 30+ winds not so good for him in the 12 knot hard too launch . The smaller the kite the hever they make them for the high end of wind . I have ocean rodeo 6 meter also great in the above 20 knot but very snappy and fast even in the slow ster setting . Got to do more testing our self . Good luck i hope someone can help ya out here cause i will keep an eye on it here too .

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
15 Nov 2010 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

If whatever kite you get is turning too fast get a shorter bar or cut your bar down a bit.

Smaller kites are usually high wind kites so light wind relaunch may suffer unless they're designed for school use. Maybe a 7m cabrinha convert or 7m eclipse nano.

Not sure what you mean by smooth but for hooked-in riding it doesn't get much smoother than an 8m switchy.

Wisha
SA, 255 posts
15 Nov 2010 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

I would say go for a stable kite with multiple settings on the wingtips and leading edge. That way you can slow it down and change the depower / bar pressure characteristics. Speed it up, lighten the bar as she progresses.

The Core GTS has them, and I think so do the Wainman Rabbits, Cab Switchy's, Ocean Rodeo Rise?? I'm guessing she will be riding with a lot more depower which will slow some kites a bit.

I guess also check out the manufacturers websites for specific school kites

radman4
678 posts
15 Nov 2010 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of kites i've used in the school are 5 and 7m griffins ,real stable and soft smooth power delivery,excellent for light riders or beginners ,the 5m dosent produce much lift so is a great learner kite ,also had a couple of takoon e-novas a few years back and they produce very little lift and also a smooth power delivery all are great kites for a light riders to gain confidence.
I would imagine there's plenty of good used ones floating around.

hipppo
QLD, 8 posts
15 Nov 2010 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a 6m Naish Code which I think is an ex school kite. Got it from Adventure Sports at Noosaville (think that's their name!) It's the sigma shape.

My son is 35kg wringing wet (9 year old)- takes a good 15-17 for him to be able to keep ground on a 122 TT. It sails well depowered as it seems to fall back a bit in the window. Haven't had it overfly at all yet.

Kites been perfect for learning - hard to relaunch unless he can stand on the bottom, but don't think that would be much different for any kite with such a light rider.
Best plan I think is to teach them not to crash!

Good luck.

Chris_M
2129 posts
16 Nov 2010 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Naish Chargers are awesome kites for beginners. They are rediculously user friendly, I use them to teach on and they are really well behaved. Try a 7m

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

catalyst 6m.

loads of depower, bar is comfy, kite does what is supposed to do.. parks well and is user friendly.

I just got a 6 after riding a few cats in conditions from 18-30kts. They are guaranteed a smooth ride, and also they turn well.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
16 Nov 2010 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

RPM said...

catalyst 6m.

loads of depower, bar is comfy, kite does what is supposed to do.. parks well and is user friendly.

I just got a 6 after riding a few cats in conditions from 18-30kts. They are guaranteed a smooth ride, and also they turn well.

I think Darren posted a while ago that the relaunch of the small catalysts in light wind isn't that flash. He said something about their being suited for high winds rather than tiny riders.

Maybe a slingshot key 7m in the mix too?

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
16 Nov 2010 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

RPM said...

catalyst 6m.

All the above is true and they are a reasonable price as well. I fly the Catalyst 10m and 8m. Three struts only make it a very light weight kite so they are easy to fly in light winds. Ozone don't compromise on qualiy either.

16 Nov 2010 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Simoncs said...

Hi all

looking for a kite for the wife. She is only 5ft and weighs less than 50kg, so looking for a small kite that doesn't have a massive reach to the depower.

Was thinking along the lines of Naish cult (seen these used in a lot of schools abroad) or Ozone catalyst was mentioned. As it's a small size am hoping that these are not too responsive/whippy.

She has flown an 8m turbo diesel and switchblade but both were too powerful and the power not that smooth for a beginner. So thinking size wise, a 6m will be the better option.

any thoughts on these or similar kites for small riders. (i have checked the forum already - looking for a 2nd hand option)

cheers
Simon

I've got several small superseeded/ex demo/used kites including Ozone Light XC 6M, Ozone Sport+ 5M, Cab Convert 5 and 7 M, Cab Crossbow 7M, all of those are easy relaunch and stable.
If a shorter person (and I know this from that perspective) cannot reach the bar, they need to be taught to pull down on the centre line until they can reach the bar, then release the centre line and grab the bar with the other hand as well. If kites don't have a reasonably long depower throw, they do not depower enough.
Call in or just call and discuss your needs.
You can even take the kite for a demo, provided you are with your partner and supervise her.

tmiddled
NSW, 253 posts
16 Nov 2010 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

I just got an 8m 2010 North Rebel for my fiancee. She is about 5'8 - 53 kg, and I would highly recommend it.

I originally put her on my 7 meter 2007 Ozone Sport after her lessons (on an 8m 2010 North Rebel), but found that the light wind re-launch wasn't so good, and she didn't really like the steering.

She found the 2010 Rebel much easier to steer, and feels heaps safer on it. Plus it is a fricking awesome high wind machine for me :-)

Your partner sounds a bit smaller, so maybe a 7 meter would be a better option, depending on your location.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"beginner kite for light rider" started by Simoncs