Forums > Kitesurfing General

best kite for a beginer park vs sb?

Created by MuccaMadBoy > 9 months ago, 14 Jun 2011
MuccaMadBoy
QLD, 3 posts
14 Jun 2011 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

im only just starting out done few lessons got sum mates doin it and real keen to get my own kite, tossin up between a park and switchblade just wondering if anyone can give me a insight into their opinions for how good it is for progressing and in the future. and wat size im 77kgs and average wind in my area is 12-18knts.

cheers

radman4
678 posts
14 Jun 2011 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sb is gonna have more bottom end and is a bit slower turning not really a pivot turning kite its more a" park" and go kite,for your weight you'd prob get away with a 10-11,Park is more a pivot turn kite,awesome for kiteloops and unhooked,dosent have the bottom end of the Sb but you would prob go to the 12m and itll still out turn the Sb,Park has real light bar so if you like a heavier bar then the Sb.
I would go the park (but i ride parks so there could be a bit of bias there ) mainly for the progression ,youll outgrow the Sb quicker especially if your mates are busting out moves and your a fast learner.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
15 Jun 2011 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure i'd agree. With the average wind of 12-18 and 77kg's I'd definitely be going with a 12m SB, not a 10 or 11, in fact I'd potentially be inclined to look at a 14m because you won't see the top end of a 14 in 18 knots of wind, thats for sure.

As much as I agree that the Park is probably more suited to better riders, I think it depends on what style of kiting you intend following. If you go wakestyle, you'll never outgrow the SB. I've seen plenty of better riders than me on SB's and its not limiting their kiting ability.

...and all this coming from someone who doesn't actually like cabrinha's.

radman4
678 posts
15 Jun 2011 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

Not sure i'd agree. With the average wind of 12-18 and 77kg's I'd definitely be going with a 12m SB, not a 10 or 11, in fact I'd potentially be inclined to look at a 14m because you won't see the top end of a 14 in 18 knots of wind, thats for sure.

As much as I agree that the Park is probably more suited to better riders, I think it depends on what style of kiting you intend following. If you go wakestyle, you'll never outgrow the SB. I've seen plenty of better riders than me on SB's and its not limiting their kiting ability.

...and all this coming from someone who doesn't actually like cabrinha's.

Sorry mate dont agree 14m is IMHO too big for a first kite for a 77kg rider,worst thing for a newb is to feel overpowered all the time,12m would be a better call in either kite,i'm 95 kg and use my 12 in 12-25 ,will only use my 14 if the bottom end is around 10,as you said dont really like Cab's myself but they have their merits and are a popular brand,and like i said have a better bottom end,the park is a softer quicker kite so if your looking at wakestyle its a better long term kite, i dont disagree that the Sb will also do what you want to do wakestyle,but the park was designed to be a wakestyle kite,the Sb is more a good all rounder.

bobjaan
WA, 314 posts
15 Jun 2011 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Man both you guys need to buy a new wind meter.

You gotta be a pretty heavy unit to be riding a 12m in upto 25 Knots.

For anyones first kite I would be getting a 9/10/ 11.

That way you don't get all pissed off trying to learn in winds that are too light for you. more dangerous than learning in 18 - 22.

You will get loads more kiting time out of a slightly smaller kite and once you creat apparant wind the kite is super powerful.

Choose whatever brand you like, but at 77kg don't even touch a 14m.

My biggest kite is an 11m, although I do live in WA

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
15 Jun 2011 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

radman4 said...

Sorry mate dont agree 14m is IMHO too big for a first kite for a 77kg rider,worst thing for a newb is to feel overpowered all the time,12m would be a better call in either kite,i'm 95 kg and use my 12 in 12-25 ,will only use my 14 if the bottom end is around 10,as you said dont really like Cab's myself but they have their merits and are a popular brand,and like i said have a better bottom end,the park is a softer quicker kite so if your looking at wakestyle its a better long term kite, i dont disagree that the Sb will also do what you want to do wakestyle,but the park was designed to be a wakestyle kite,the Sb is more a good all rounder.

1. Queensland wind is warmer and less powerful in my experience.
2. Bigger kites aren't necessarily bad - A beginner will find it easier to ride if they don't have to move the kite. An advanced rider would find it easier in light wind but a beginner is going to battle which will work against them while they are learning.
3. Fast moving kites are great for advanced riders but I don't think they work well for new riders because they are twitchy and more punishing accidental bar input. I've had my worst wipeouts on my small kite for this exact reason.
4. New SB's have less low end than the older models.
5. If I was riding 12-18knots (81kg's) I'd take a 14m (or larger) any day of the week over a 12m in QLD.

bobjaan said...

Man both you guys need to buy a new wind meter.

You gotta be a pretty heavy unit to be riding a 12m in upto 25 Knots.

For anyones first kite I would be getting a 9/10/ 11.

That way you don't get all pissed off trying to learn in winds that are too light for you. more dangerous than learning in 18 - 22.

You will get loads more kiting time out of a slightly smaller kite and once you creat apparant wind the kite is super powerful.

Choose whatever brand you like, but at 77kg don't even touch a 14m.

My biggest kite is an 11m, although I do live in WA

Thats WA for you. If you've ever kited QLD you'll find out the warmer air gives you less power and more top end. If I was in WA my largest kite would be a 10m. I don't know many 77kg riders who would be maxed out on a 12m in 18 knots in QLD. Most heavier riders would need a 16m kite just to be powered enough for a decent session. At 81kg's in Melbourne, I find it crap to ride in under 15 knots on a 12m. If my predominant wind was 12-18, I'd be going larger than a 12m and I'm only 4kg's heavier in colder wind which is stronger.

15 Jun 2011 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

12M SB, would get my vote. Maybe Radman has not ridden the 2012 SB - its no slouch (I've got one in the shop for demo), and even the 2011 is plenty quick turning for most people?
You could not go wrong with either kite though, BUT Cabrinha's are super easy to relaunch, have a great easy to use safety system, and have an external one pump system that is reliable and easy to maintain (I do not like the Naish one pump system).
Keahi and Marine both won the Nats on 2011Switchblades, they turn fine.

radman4
678 posts
15 Jun 2011 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

12M SB, would get my vote. Maybe Radman has not ridden the 2012 SB - its no slouch (I've got one in the shop for demo), and even the 2011 is plenty quick turning for most people?
You could not go wrong with either kite though, BUT Cabrinha's are super easy to relaunch, have a great easy to use safety system, and have an external one pump system that is reliable and easy to maintain (I do not like the Naish one pump system).

No i havent ridden the 2012 switch my comparison was based on apples for apples,011 vs 011,
I would imagine the 2012 park will also be a vast improvement on previous models,i was going by what i have tried,and seen locally, like i say theres + and - for both kites,but i def wouldn't reccomend a 14 to a newb of either kite, so from my experience,

Sb + better bottom end, more an all rounder,more float in the jumps ,and youll get away with a smaller size.
Park + faster turning,great for wake and unhooked,great boost but not as much float.

Best to get a demo on both kites and see what you think everyones got different like's and dislikes.

Coose
VIC, 229 posts
16 Jun 2011 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

radman4 said...

Kitepower Australia said...

No i havent ridden the 2012 switch my comparison was based on apples for apples,011 vs 011,
I would imagine the 2012 park will also be a vast improvement on previous models,i was going by what i have tried,and seen locally, like i say theres + and - for both kites,but i def wouldn't reccomend a 14 to a newb of either kite, so from my experience,

Sb + better bottom end, more an all rounder,more float in the jumps ,and youll get away with a smaller size.
Park + faster turning,great for wake and unhooked,great boost but not as much float.

Best to get a demo on both kites and see what you think everyones got different like's and dislikes.

Great for wakestyle??? feels like your jumping on a trampoline with the bar pressure the naish kites have (not saying its a bad thing) i want feed back and solid pressure.

12-18 knots in warmer air (which is less dense, so less power) if you want to go ride most the time 14m for sure, want to chase some higher winds get the 12m its simple.

mucca mucca,

peace out from your main man smouse.

radman4
678 posts
16 Jun 2011 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Yep some like light bar and fast steer(me ) others like heavy bar and a slower steer,thats why you've gotta try before you buy,also depends on what you've learn't on,as to what your already used to,with the kites your contemplating id have a go on a C4 and a Cat as well.

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
16 Jun 2011 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in QLD and fly a 10m Bandit Dos on anything from 10-25 knts, 80kgs. Half the riders around here (Hervey Bay) ride 12m sb's. Looks like good all-rounder. Newbies love them and a couple of advanced guys ride them also, albeit wakestle. Hard to fault for the money. Haven't ridden the park but did enjoy my helix 12m before the bandit. Now, after riding the bandit, wouldn't change. Wouldn't recommend for beginner though. Test ride both if possible. If not, go the sb.

JAKE123
QLD, 307 posts
17 Jun 2011 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

i am 75 kg and ride a 10m switchy in brisbane from just under 15 knots to pretty much any wind we get here unless its crazy. when its light use a surfboard. switchys are grunty you will be suprised how powerful a 10m is. 12ms suck in most kites (compared to 10s or smaller) get a 10 or 11 wouldnt you rather be doing something else when its sub 15knots? if you decide later on that you like light wind then get a big kite.

it is 21 deg max in bris tomorow with a 20 plus knot westerly that will as per usual be gusty as hell. 10 is perfect for this.

MuccaMadBoy
QLD, 3 posts
19 Jun 2011 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

cheers for the input fellas think im gunna go with a sb 10m also seeing as im learing on one :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"best kite for a beginer park vs sb?" started by MuccaMadBoy