bigger pop......too much edging

Created by James01 > 9 months ago, 18 Oct 2013
James01
QLD, 283 posts
18 Oct 2013 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

A quick question for you all.

I have recently changed boards to a Tona pop. Not sure if it is me just getting used to the board but i seem to be popping a bit inconsistently. When the wind is light it is fine however when the wind picks on occasions I am not getting much height. I think i may be edging too hard before i release my edge..... Hooked in it isn't an issue just when I am slightly overpowered and unhooked. On front rolls i don't notice too much, I am mainly having the issue with S-Bends and Raileys.

I hope this make sense. Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers

realplayer
QLD, 186 posts
18 Oct 2013 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe the power of your kite is pulling you off your edge before you normally pop. Try depower the kite abit, veer down wind and then really drive in that heel side edge for the pop... Hope this helps..

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
18 Oct 2013 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi James
Try taking your fins of for a couple of months, this will improve your technique cos you have to edge with the rail and cant use the fins. The pop is great without fins and will go upwind and get going just as well with or without fins.
Let me know how you get on.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
18 Oct 2013 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

From what you have said and the tricks you have described it sounds like you are slipping out a bit on take-off which often happens as the winds get stronger. Sometimes lowering your kite a bit or at least pulling it down a bit during your trick will help. Really what you want to try and do is bury as much edge into the water as you can, because I would say you are sitting a bit flat and not totally following through to the very last second, you're backing off a little early.
It's all practice though, just try a few different things. Also sometimes it's just the day or conditions that aren't helping you.

James01
QLD, 283 posts
18 Oct 2013 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks gents. Appreciate the advice. Fingers crossed for a session tomorrow! Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"bigger pop......too much edging" started by James01