Forums > Kitesurfing General

board rescue

Created by tim111 > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2011
tim111
ACT, 57 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys

Any pointers on how to ride with a board in one hand?

I have tried a few times and always struggle to do that initial downloop to get moving...

Taurus
VIC, 189 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Place the board in between the chicken loop and your arms to get started, once your up and riding you can take the board and ride with one hand.

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

I put it on my knees when waterstarting, then it is easy to transfer to spare hand. Though havent perfected picking up a stray surfboard yet.

KR

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Approach it along a normal tack and pick it up on the fly using the front foot strap. This gives you a free hand to fly the kite with. Easier than juggling the board and the bar in your hands I reckon.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

kyteryder said...

I put it on my knees when waterstarting, then it is easy to transfer to spare hand. Though havent perfected picking up a stray surfboard yet.

KR

Said method but just hang onto either the nose or rear centre fin.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hold the board with 4 fingers and use one finger to control the bar is another option if none of the above works.

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
5 Dec 2011 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

tim111 said...

Hey guys

I have tried a few times and always struggle to do that initial downloop to get moving...

I find it much easier to get started with it on my both my feet

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
5 Dec 2011 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Another tip. If the board is large than yours. Ride theirs back to them and hold your board. I don't think they will mind if you are rescuing their board.

Always throw the board behind you. I have thrown infront and then almost ran over their board in the process.

Thanks for the tip surfingboye

Kr

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
5 Dec 2011 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Once you have mastered picking up your mates board, the next step is dropping it 100m further upwind[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

ok
NSW, 1088 posts
5 Dec 2011 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

i tend to drag noobs boards really far out in the ocean just so they can learn some more

Craig66
NSW, 2457 posts
5 Dec 2011 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

wdric said...

tim111 said...

Hey guys

I find it much easier to get started with it on my both my feet

and to finish with it still on both feet

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
6 Dec 2011 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Bigger boards are hard to carry in, If i can't hold it i will take my chances and unclip my leash, hook it onto a foot strap and just tow it in.

tim111
ACT, 57 posts
6 Dec 2011 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys just the info i needed.

rongroen
WA, 74 posts
7 Dec 2011 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Chris6791 said...

Bigger boards are hard to carry in, If i can't hold it i will take my chances and unclip my leash, hook it onto a foot strap and just tow it in.

Don't think this is a good idea, See posts on the potential horrors of board leashes.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
7 Dec 2011 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

rongroen said...

Chris6791 said...

Don't think this is a good idea, See posts on the potential horrors of board leashes.

Well aware of the risks, but As I'm towing in the board attached to the leash it doesn't have my body weght on it, so it's not going to get loaded up (and I don't do anything stupid to increase the chances of a stack) and I've only ever needed to bring boards in like that on protected waters so I'm not towing it through a break. It's a calculated risk over short distances tht I'm happy to make. By the time I grab a board like this it is also down-wind of the kites and poleys so if something does go wrong and I have to punch out without the leash the kite is free to land where it wants without risk to anyone.

I've only towed boards in a couple of times with the leash and it can be an easy method for boards that are to big or heavy to pick up, or don't have a handle, other times I have let the board go on its merry way and driven down the beach to collect it for it's owner.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
7 Dec 2011 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Chris6791 said...
.....Well aware of the risks, but As I'm towing in the board attached to the leash it doesn't have my body weght on it, so it's not going to get loaded up...

Be careful Chris, if the board is being pulled by the footstrap it is possible for the front edge to dig in and load up anyway....

Gatorfly
NSW, 2 posts
7 Dec 2011 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

you can stick your hand through the handle or footstrap and wear the board like a watch. Then you have 2 free hands to sail with.

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
7 Dec 2011 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

I hook my thumb through the handle or foot strap and put my fingers over the top of the bar. I do the first dive to get going then flip the board under my arm.

I would not do anything that would stop me throwing the board away if I had to (putting it on my wrist or clipping to a leash). I have seen guys injured when they have tried to rescue boards and didn't know how to do it.

seafever17
WA, 360 posts
7 Dec 2011 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Gatorfly said...

you can stick your hand through the handle or footstrap and wear the board like a watch. Then you have 2 free hands to sail with.

The big one and the little one!

Seriously ,it has to be an across the Knees water start.Then as you get pulled up grab it with your backhand.

Anything else is dumb

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
7 Dec 2011 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

i sit it on my legs above my knee's than dive the kite. As i come up i use one hand to bring the kite back up and the other to grab the board than hold the bar in the middle and hopefully not have to work it lol

Craig66
NSW, 2457 posts
7 Dec 2011 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

mitch88 said...

i sit it on my legs above my knee's than dive the kite. As i come up i use one hand to bring the kite back up and the other to grab the board than hold the bar in the middle and hopefully not have to work it lol

can u show me 1 day how u do it mitch ?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"board rescue" started by tim111