Forums > Kitesurfing General

boat launch

Created by WWS > 9 months ago, 19 Apr 2008
WWS
SA, 121 posts
19 Apr 2008 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey just wonderin if anybody has sucsessfully and safely worked out a way to boat launch and recover 4 a session.

Im living on Hamilton Island in the whitsundays and there is no beach on the island to kite off with a consistant breeze and safe downwind area but we have plenty of wind almost all year round.

browndog
VIC, 27 posts
19 Apr 2008 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't tried it but there are a few articles/forums about that give you a run down, like this one
www.one2kite.com/content/view/54/74/

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
19 Apr 2008 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

this is the way i do it from a tinny.
-inflate the kite and lay out and connect your lines on the beach.
-leave the lines connected at the kite, and roll them on the bar until you get to the kite
-put a rubber band around each end of the bar to keep the lines from unwrapping
-deflate the leading edge
-lay the bar and lines carefully in the kite, and roll it up

when you are anchored inflate the leading edge and slowly feed the lines out while keeping all tension on the 5th line only. once the lines are all out jump in the water and water relaunch like normal.

to land
-kite up to the boat and drop the board in first.
-then drift to the leeward side, and either climb into the boat and ditch the kite, or or hang on with one hand and drop the kite first.

make sure you take your time, and check everything at least twice.
when you are launching be ready to ditch the rig quickly if things go wrong (ie no leash and hand ready to hit the chicken loop QR).

WWS
SA, 121 posts
20 Apr 2008 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, sounds like its doable. Still a bit sketchy though? No leash?

Ive got a duck so what i was thinkin was to drop a stearn anchor and sit on the bow Have the kite inflated and feed all the lines out, not be in the chicken loop but still be attached to my fith line via my safety. Once its all in the water jump in and water relaunch like yopu would if you had let go of the bar.

Are there any stories about things going wrong?

Anybody useing a turbolauncher?? how good are they??

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
20 Apr 2008 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Hi WWS,

Here's a thought. Rig the kite with lines on, then deflate the LE. Roll the kite up with lines on, then place it in the boat with your harny around the inflated struts to keep it all together whilst in transit.

Now, grab a bucket and put it in the boat next to your kite. Leave 6 feet (2m) o lines from the kite out free and then start feeding all the lines into the bucket from the kite end running to the bar. Allow the lines to lay on top of each other as they feed into the bucket. Keep the bar outside of the bucket.

Drive to your launch spot and use a stern anchor. Inflate the kite over the bow of the boat and secire it to the boat by a piece of wool which will break with a little bit of a tug. Next, attach your leash and CL and jump over the side of the boat, swimming across the wind window away from the kite. Once you get roughly in position, a couple of good tugs will break the wool tuft and the kite will be able to be launched as per a normal water relaunch.

voila! This method is guaranteed not to tangle and there will be no stress on launch. Give it a go. A little bit of setup time required, but worthwhile.

I'd say forget about the turbo launcher. I've never known anyone to say anything good about them. Usually comments like "waste of money".

Good winds,

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
20 Apr 2008 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

its no good connecting your leash to the 5th line because your lines are still wrapped around the bar, so the leash is useless until the lines unravel. if the kite loops before you have let the lines out you need to let go of everything. don't worry about the kite; just pull anchor and go get it.

brucex
QLD, 701 posts
20 Apr 2008 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

not trying to pimp this but
There is full segment on ben Wilsons wave instructional SMACK _ if you are interested.
Shows you how to do it setting the kite up to pumping and lauching.
Forget the turbo launcher - too complicated
- Ben uses the a different method to what has been described here already - work s a treat

WWS
SA, 121 posts
20 Apr 2008 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks kitehard,

that sounds safe and should work, Ill have a couple of go's at it with someone in the boat 4 a start but I should be able to nail it.

So a turbo launcher's crap and the crew that are selling them are just tryin to make a buck??

Anyone else got any new variations on this method... just so I dont have to buy a vid...

And yea im a tight ass!!

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
20 Apr 2008 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the videos here and you'll see how the launcher actually works yourself: http://www.kitelauncher.com/. It's pretty straight forward, and often the guy using the turbo is the first to launch as you dont have to walk your lines at all. They are much easier than the bucket method if launching from boat. Just takes a few practices to get it down pat. Also great for launching in areas where there are lots of debris, or with limited setting up space.

kenno
QLD, 293 posts
Site Sponsor
21 Apr 2008 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a pimp??? Where do we get this magical device?????

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"boat launch" started by WWS