Forums > Kitesurfing General

equipment for beginners

Created by sofiedieu > 9 months ago, 11 Oct 2009
sofiedieu
VIC, 1 posts
11 Oct 2009 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

hi all!

My friend and I are brand new beginners and we would like some tips about which equipment we should buy. I'm a 1,80m female / 67kg and my friend is a 1,93m guy / 100kg, we need everything from wet suit to harness, kite, board and all the rest.
The school I had lessons with recommended me a 9/10m kite...??? What sort of kite should I buy, any brand in particular?
We live in St Kilda east in Victoria, where should we buy our equipment? We were thinking second hand gears as we are a bit short those last months.

Any recommendation would be HIGHLY appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Sofie

Keaw Yed.
WA, 200 posts
11 Oct 2009 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Sofie,

I am a learner as well - started last year - and I purchased the equipment from my instructors shop. I think speaking to the school you learned with is a good option, they also tend to have 2nd hand equipment as they update frequently. This way if you buy off them you are already used to the equipment
Also go to a few shops and ask - they all give advice for nothing and if they are like the guys in Perth you will find that they are all advising you to purchase very similar equipment.(However the shops will try to sell you the brands they carry (obvious really))

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
11 Oct 2009 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

try rpm in elwood, or shq in sandringham. both stock 2nd hand gear, (they used to anyway), and make sure you get a decent discount for buying 2 complete setups.

coastalkombi
VIC, 93 posts
11 Oct 2009 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

hi guys sent you a message

Neill
VIC, 484 posts
11 Oct 2009 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

67kg person in VIC bay, learning, you will be looking at a 9-10m kite as a "one kite" quiver. this will get you going from 15-25 knots usually, depending on the kite.

the 100kg bloke will need a 12-13m i reckon.

Fooosh
WA, 563 posts
11 Oct 2009 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

^^ Sounds like a good start! Then you could only need one more kite for an upgrade - maybe a 6-7m and both shift down for windier days!

Look for easy / quick water relaunch and stable, slower turns. Plus good depower when you move the bar out. Hybrid / SLE kite (toenail shape) after 2007 should be ok. C shaped kite probably not.

Feel free to post here if you see any gear you're about to buy and most people cleverer than me will be able to comment!

And welcome....

....or would that be Bienvenue

12 Oct 2009 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

sofiedieu said...

hi all!

My friend and I are brand new beginners and we would like some tips about which equipment we should buy. I'm a 1,80m female / 67kg and my friend is a 1,93m guy / 100kg, we need everything from wet suit to harness, kite, board and all the rest.
The school I had lessons with recommended me a 9/10m kite...??? What sort of kite should I buy, any brand in particular?
We live in St Kilda east in Victoria, where should we buy our equipment? We were thinking second hand gears as we are a bit short those last months.

Any recommendation would be HIGHLY appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Sofie

Hi Sofie

You would be best with a 9/10M kite and your mate will be best with a 12/13M kite.
You need kites that are easy to relaunch with a good safety system, well made and well supported by a dealer network, the most important things though are easy relaunch and safety system.
I recommend you get 2 kites of the same brand and model, so that both of you will be familiar with the kites safety system if you use each others kites (you will).
Go to a shop where you can try on your harness and make sure is comfy, get a girls harness, the latest designs from Mystic/Maui magic, Pat Love, Dakine are all excellent.
Boards, go for something around 1.25-135 for you and something around 1.35 to 1.45 for your mate.
For shops to try all this and get a good deal I recommend SHQ or Kitepower down in Geelong (and online), they both sell Cabrinha, Ozone and several other brands of gear and have years of experience. I'm not familiar with the other shops, but no doubt they have good gear and deals too.
You don't need to buy used gear, unless you budget dictates that. I think new gear is better value then most used gear, unless you score a bargain from someone that gave up the sport without using their gear much. There are some great deals on last years (2009) Cabrinha Converts, Switchblades and Ozone Light XC's as well as runout deals on Underground boards and Cabrinha boards. Its possible to get a package of board kite and harness all new, for around $2100 -$2300.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"equipment for beginners" started by sofiedieu