Forums > Kitesurfing General

help in washing off speed hdyra foil

Created by dafish > 9 months ago, 21 Jan 2016
dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
21 Jan 2016 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey foilers, how do you wash off speed with the foil? Been getting some good long runs in but I actually kinda scared myself with the speeds I was getting in 10 knots today. I have a Jim Stringfellow foil like Brm Greg rides so I know it's not designed for high speed, more of a cruiser which is all I want at this stage. I am able to ride down wind okay and make little s turns, but still pretty shakey and nothing is stylish yet. Have about 10 hours or so into it now. I snapped my old fish again so I ditched it and just bolted it on to an old Naish tt. Riding with two very loose front straps as the board sinks faster than I can get it up but really only use them to keep the board on edge til I power the kite. Still waiting for my blank to shape the Paipo to ride strapless.
Any more tips will be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find too many how to's on the net.
Cheers

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
21 Jan 2016 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

squeal like a pig, kick off your straps and sheet in and hope you don't get a hydro enema :)

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
21 Jan 2016 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Have you tried raising the kite high and running downwind under it - that'll slow you down eventually. Or you can do the same but try and turn upwind, although this can tension the kite lines and accelerate you as you begin the change of direction.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 Jan 2016 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
22 Jan 2016 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Here I thought this was a thread about washing your Speed foil kite.

KiteBud
WA, 1536 posts
22 Jan 2016 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dafish,

I would suggest progressively working on edging your foil in low winds which is a skill you will develop over time and will help control your speed. In the same way you ride a twin tip or a surfboard, you should be able to edge enough to slow yourself down to a stop. Of course this is much more difficult/technical do to on a foil.

When I go too fast or a gust of wind hit, I simply sheet out (trim the kite correctly as well) and edge the foil slightly more upwind. Choosing the correct kite size is critical here also...

Hope this helps,

Christian

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
22 Jan 2016 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

It all helps, so thanks :) I can edge upwind and keep the speed in check, it happens when I go downwind. If I keep edging upwind I would never get back to where I started, so hence learning about going downwind in control. I have done the hydra jump enema a few times, it feels so crazy going that fast a meter above the water.
I more than likely had to big of a kite, was on a 14.5 Cloud, but need the extra grunt in 10 knots to get this board planing. I don't have the instant pop up yet. It's only a narrow old tt someone was throwing out that had no pads or fins so I thought I would see if the board will work. Once I get my other board happening I know I can drop to a 10mt kite in 8 to 10 knots.
cheers

loftywinds2
185 posts
23 Jan 2016 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RAL INN said..
Here I thought this was a thread about washing your Speed foil kite.

+1

Who ever called foil kites, a foil should be shot!

Thecopterdr
QLD, 98 posts
24 Jan 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

It sounds like your kite was way to big.
I normally ride a 9m inflatable or an 11m foil kite in 10 knots. Your BRM has tons of depower so you should be able to bleed speed off keeping it high in the window and depowered. Whenever you turn downwind or carve upwind you'll always have to brace for an initial acceleration until you are pointing High or Low enough, It feels unnatural but you have to push through it or try and get the board down on the water to slow down without bailing.
Good luck, It all gets easier.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"help in washing off speed hdyra foil" started by dafish